CIFAs and Renting

2»

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    That is incorrect. There are many companies who offer a credit check service for landlords and it costs as little as £10. Everything available to any lender on your credit file would be available to a landlord doing a credit check.

No, it's not incorrect.

They just check the register for you.

You're wrong, so do some research.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No, it's not incorrect.

They just check the register for you.

You're wrong, so do some research.

To clarify, Tarambor is incorrect, at least according to my understanding.
  • tenchy wrote: »

Tarambor is wrong, yes.

The Principles of Reciprocity are available freely online, and one of the key principles is as follows:

3. Data will be shared on the principle that subscribers receive the sa me credit performance level data that they contribute, and should contribute all such data available

In plain English, if you aren't going to put in missed payments etc you don't get to see them. Tenant checks in particular are very restricted in what they can see, usually to public information only, because nothing about the rental contract gets recorded.

CIFAS is not public information. If you are getting a credit search only CIFAS will not be included. You should be expressly told through some means (i.e. in the contract) if you are.

http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/responsibilities/brochures/por.pdf
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Comms69
    tenchy wrote: »

That's what I said?

To clarify - letting agents and landlord only see public date. This isn't a debateable point, it's a fact
  • SJD1988
    SJD1988 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Whilst I agree that most landlords can only see public information, when I moved into my most recent place, the check they did on me revealed far more than just public information, the landlord was able to see I had in the past had credit that was with debt collection agencies etc.
  • Comms69
    SJD1988 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that most landlords can only see public information, when I moved into my most recent place, the check they did on me revealed far more than just public information, the landlord was able to see I had in the past had credit that was with debt collection agencies etc.

Impossible.
  • Aurorax
    Aurorax Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Something similar happened to myself as the above poster, they could not see the amounts or dates of my credit, but they could see names, and it led to being questioned by the estate agent. Far more than the public information they should only be privy too.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Aurorax wrote: »
    Something similar happened to myself as the above poster, they could not see the amounts or dates of my credit, but they could see names, and it led to being questioned by the estate agent. Far more than the public information they should only be privy too.

Sounds like a case for the Information Commissioner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure