PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Still receiving post for previous house owners

Comments

• HGW2012
    HGW2012 Posts: 95 Forumite
    We have also been receiving mail from the previous tenant a year on.

Trouble is they have used at least 6 different surnames it seems! We put return to sender but in all honesty it hasn't stopped or slowed down in the slightest.
    Costco still send weekly mails.

Ahh well won't be our probably in 2 weeks time when we move out!
  • C.C.L.
    C.C.L. Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We're still getting mail from previous residents 8 years on. Things from banks, debt companies and other companies. We got so fed up of sending them back we just bin them now as obviously when returned no-one took any notice.
  • "Not known at address. Return to sender"

It's a long slog but it does slow over time.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    I "return to sender" for three months, after that it's all binned.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • We've just completed on our first home (yay!) but I have opened some mail addressed to the Occupier - and there are letters from an energy supplier saying they have the right to enter the property due to unpaid bills (dated during the months the house was on the market!)

If I get bailiffs knocking on my [new] door, I shan't be pleased :\
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    We were receiving lots of such letters (some of which fell open as a poster above says) threatening court action then bailiff visits for debt recovery seizure, so after returning dozens of em, I "helpfully" rang the debt collection agency to say we had bought the place a couple of years prior.....

All I got was an earful of abuse and the threat that "opening others' mail's a criminal offence " .

I don't suppose debt collection staff go on the customer care course? Guess where all the subseque t letters went!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

If I get bailiffs knocking on my [new] door, I shan't be pleased :\

Keep proof of ID/address close to hand and explain if they do turn up. Or just ring and explain beforehand (as I would do).
    AlexMac wrote: »

All I got was an earful of abuse and the threat that "opening others' mail's a criminal offence " .

Can't say what I want or it'll be removed :cool: I wish I'd been on the receiving end of that call to give them a earful...
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    My aunt went to specsavers for a pair of glasses. Every year they wrote to her offering an eye test . When she died I notified specsavers but the letters still came.I went to the local specsavers who didnt know how to stop the mail but changed the delivery address to their own address.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Keep proof of ID/address close to hand and explain if they do turn up. Or just ring and explain beforehand (as I would do).

Why would I make the job of these bottom feeders any easier. I would not help them. I have nothing to "prove", they should be proving I am who they are looking for not the opposite.

I'd just close the door in their face.
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    rtho782 wrote: »
    I'd just close the door in their face.

And they will keep calling around to hassle you.

Write to them (don't call) along the lines of....

I am the new occupier, and do not have contact details for any previous occupants. Please do not send any further correspondence to me on this matter or I shall view it as harassment and pass the matter on to my solicitor.

That approach has worked for me in the past
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport