Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• Following my call to LastMinute yesterday afternoon, I got a call back at 5PM to inform me that they cannot offer any other flights.

They offered a refund on just the flight part of the package if I had alternate flights (Which i have not) or a full refund, which I took.

They advised that the refund would be processed and in my card account withing 2-3 days.

So all sorted and new holiday booked - Week in Salou next week :-)
    LBM = 10/10/10
    Debt at [STRIKE]14/10/10 = £56936.28[/STRIKE] --- 17/04/12 = £49673.01

You cannot eat an elephant in one mouthful, just take a bite at a time!
  • The monarch situation highlights a need for a greater customer awareness of where ATOL cover is provided. The situation seems clear for package holidays but a significant number of customers book flight only with the airline. It seems some companies do provide ATOL others do not. So if you have a timeshare and book the flight via the timeshare company who use a non ATOL airline do you get ATOL cover. I have read the MSE paper which does not cover it or the CAA web site.
    The other big question is if you have travel insurance what does ATOL protection add.
    Why doesn't the regulatory authority insist that all flights must have ATOL which avoids tax payers having to fund the repatratriation.
    I am sure most MSE readers would appreciate an updated piece on travel so can be aware of the gaps in cover and choose approximately. Apologies for the long email but could not find a better way to ask the questions.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Natwest claim form completed!
    Now on hold to Vanquis as they have only just found out about this letter on the CAA site, I cant be the first person to have rung them about it since it went on the CAA website surely.

Right I think its sorted with Vanquis as well. Also put in a S75 for the £114 extra legroom seats I booked with Monarch Holidays.

Email sent to them as well with proofs of deposit paid etc etc.

Shall wait to hear back!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Elliotm4 wrote: »
    .....tax payers having to fund the repatratriation....

They aren't, it's the ATOL fund held by the CAA that pays out, passengers pay into the ATOL fund.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Was due to fly with Monarch next Aug as part of package, which I am paying in installments (50% paid)
    Agent have rebooked us alternative flights "free of charge"
    Thing is the Monach flights totalled £915 and these new RyanAir flights total £686
    We were due to land at 11am with Monarch and dont land until 9pm with RyanAir so missing virtually a full day of our holiday also?
    Am I entitled to a refund of the difference?
    Any advise appreciated
  • Sandie11
    Sandie11 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can anyone help, my parents live in Spain and booked their flights in Spain on a spanish Visa credit card but they have been told section 75 is not applicable there, is this correct?, if so does it look like they have lost their money?

any help appreciated
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2017 at 10:36AM
    Sandie11 wrote: »
    Can anyone help, my parents live in Spain and booked their flights in Spain on a spanish Visa credit card but they have been told section 75 is not applicable there, is this correct?, if so does it look like they have lost their money?

any help appreciated

Surely they can still do a chargeback, its a Visa scheme and not a bank-specific one, they would need to speak to their card issuer.

Although good luck if their Spanish isnt great!
  • GGardner
    GGardner Posts: 10 Forumite
    So... we had outbound only flight with Monarch due for 21st Oct that I paid for through PayPal using my debit card/ bank account.

MSE advises to raise a dispute through PayPal's resolution centre as we should be covered by the buyer protection scheme with them.

However, my case was closed immediately by PayPal as it didn't meet their criteria - namely that you have 180 days to dispute a transaction. Do I have any other options of claiming my money back as MSE page doesn't mention this...???
  • richardw wrote: »
    They aren't, it's the ATOL fund held by the CAA that pays out, passengers pay into the ATOL fund.

I'm not sure it is as clear as that. The repatriation isn't making a distinction between ATOL or not so those on flight only are still flying back without ATOL.

I know there were forms being handed out on landing by the CAA to passengers that clearly stated they asked them to be completed to allow them to reclaim taxpayers money.

I think the CAA made some exceptions to the process here given the scale of customers left in the lurch.
  • richardw wrote: »

The CAA are asking customers being repatriated for their credit card details "with an aim to reduce the burden on the UK taxpayers". They're also asking all those yet to travel who paid by credit card, to contact their card issuer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure