How to Write a Constitution

Im looking to write a constitution for a Club however all the samples I can find online presume democratic elections etc. Below is what I need in terms of club structure…

The structure of the clubs committee is that there is a chairperson, vice-chair, financial supervisor and a communications supervisor.

There are no elections.

Membership is for period July XX to June XX+1

Members are welcome to put themselves forward for a position if they think they can do a better job.

Committee must meet at lest once every 6 months.

Chairperson is responsible for all morganisaing, communications & finances on day-to-day basis.

AGM once a year, held sometime in August - September

:confused:

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    I dont think I would want to belong to your club!
    If I am unhappy with the way the committee runs things, I can fight my way on to it - otherwise, the committee is there forever.
    All the control - financial and otherwise is in the hands of one person!
    You dont want a constitution, just a set of rules - but I cant see anyone joining!
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Those joining the club know what they are joining and are happy with it - it is not a demogratic club and is set up as such for several very good reasons.

The constitution is only to formalise things as we need a consitution in order to become a member club of a wider association and a couple of other things.
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    can I ask what the club is for? you really can't run a club like that- you need to perhaps put in a minimum term- something like the officers will serve a term of 2 years, Nominations for an existing vacancy must be put in writing (and seconded) to the Secretary.
    we follow the guidelines of the FA http://www.thefa.com/GrassrootsNew/Club/Postings/2006/06/GrassrootsClubsConstitution.htm
    but obviously you can adapt this for your own needs.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • Its a football supporters club - run by one person.

Have a club bank account with 3 signatures on it, these signatures are the other 3 positions on the 'committee'.

No one has any wish to make anything formal - we only need to have a written constitution
  • hm71_2
    Hi you say the club is run by one person but your commitee consists of 4 people- you will be surprised how quickly people decide they want to run things differently no matter how informal the original plan is. Also I assume you are charging a membership fee so you will need to have a rules of membership as to what this fee covers/includes- I would imagine the wider club would have guidelines of the expected constitution as most groups do- you will have to produce treasurers reports as to what fees have been spent on etc... this not only covers the club but all the commitee members in case of any questions relating to financial practice. I would def say the treasurer, chairperson, secretary should all be seperate people & def all live seperately- you will again be surprised what people come out with.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

£2 saving club £140
  • hm71_2
    I personnally have just put supporters club constitution into my search engine & found several excellent versions- you may have to adapt them for your specific needs but they are brilliant templates.

£2 saving club £140
  • Whilst i completely understand your points... the structure has been determined and will not change. Its been discussed amongst the majority of the to-be members and its simple, if people dont like it they dont join.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure