How do I check life insurance/savings/pension?

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is in the right section (sorry if not)...

My father unexpectedly passed away recently, without a will, and myself and my brother have to sort out his affairs and arrange his funeral.
Unfortunately, I was in care from a young age, and hadn't seen him for more than 5 years, so I don't know much about him. Neither me nor my brother can afford to pay for his funeral (I'm a 23-year-old student), so we're trying to find out if he had life insurance/savings/a pension which would pay for it. Unfortunately, we can't find any paperwork in his house. I know he had worked all his life, but his friend has told me that he had been off work recently with depression. Not sure if this was by a doctor and he was still employed, or whether he just left work and was on benefits.

To add to the stress, the post mortem couldn't find the cause of death, so we have to wait up to 8 weeks for his blood/tissues to be sent off for analysis. I'm worried that even if he did have life insurance, they won't speak to us without a death certificate, and we can't wait 8 weeks to bury him!

Does anybody know who I can contact to find some answers? I'm in a pickle.
Thank you.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry for your loss
    Neither me nor my brother can afford to pay for his funeral (I'm a 23-year-old student),

The funeral can be paid out of the estate.

Look at his bank statements and see if there are any monthly payments to insurance companies or similar.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's a Death, Funerals and Probate board on this forum that will be able to assist you and they have some stickies you should read.

I've been told that banks will pay the funeral home bill from the person's funds if they have any, so you don't need to wait for pensions and insurances to pay out. It's possible he had a funeral plan so you should look for that and a will, however given your age it's likely he was a bit young for that. So find out if he has a bank account with sufficient money in.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport