Family home on the (distant) horizon - savings diary

Comments

• Thanks Aimhigh, I think we will need it.

Rawr - yes! Not as bad as we thought but still a way to go. By the time we factor in fees etc we need to save quite a bit more. I'm nervous about committing to 6k but will keep trying.
    #112 Save 12k in 2018: 5000/6000
    #35 Save 12k in 2019: 4985.28/7000
    #32 Save 12k in 2020: 13282.17/12000
    #60 Save 12k in 2021: 0/13000
  • Thanks for your thoughts, RadiantSoul. We are still considering all options but getting a valuation is probably a good idea. :)

We have had a pretty low key weekend. We headed down to the allotment yesterday. It will be our first year so we wanted to get a better look at what we need to do. We don't have a car, just bikes. Our 4 year old goes on his bike without stabilisers and can go a pretty good distance so it works out quite well. The littler one is in a chair on the back of my bike and is generally pretty happy. Alas, yesterday we decided to check out a bridleway as an alternative route to the allotment just in case it was quicker/safer. Ha. Pure mud. C couldn't get his wee bike to go so we had to walk most of it. And there was no protection from the wind so E was pure miserable on the back of my bike. However, when we got there they brightened up a bit and got quite excited at the prospect of us growing food there. Our neighbouring plot has hens and the owner came down while we were there and gave the kids some fresh eggs. They were delighted! We took the regular route back home and stopped at the chippie for a bag of chips. Technically DH has had a fiver on his money clip since Christmas so it didn't really count as spending, right? :) Anyway, they were enjoyed and not too expensive.

I work a Saturday night and didn't get back till late so was glad when DH took the kids down and let me lie in a bit (until 8am!) this morning. We have just had a day in the house trying to plan the allotment and generally cleaning. We really need to gut the kids' toys to try and sell or pass bits on that they don't play with now, and I have a huge pile of clothes to get online to sell too. Taking photos takes so long and the kids have little patience for it.

Roasting a piece of venison for tea. DH's uncle gives a great supply and it is all free! So we have a freezer full to use which is awesome. We would never buy it otherwise. Veg prep all done earlier in the week so an easy meal coming up and the fridge is super organised for the week ahead. Feeling positive.

Discussed the current alcohol situation with DH and have agreed to eke out what we have and try to save our booze budget this month. I'm not entirely convinced yet but will try! :)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would sell the flat and put it towards your new house.

It will clearly have an effect on some level, if you tenant leaves and you have void periods then you will have a drop in your income. If it isn't generating any surplus at the moment then it is just a bit of a millstone that may generate a capital gain in a few decades, but it seems you might rather have the money now. If nothing else I would get a valuation, and look at when any mortgage deal expires - the rates could be a lot higher.

This.

Sell the flat and buy your home.
  • Ugh, a rough night's sleep with the bigger one having nightmares and the little one ending up in with us. I always get a bit miserable when I'm tired, and I'm working late tonight so tomorrow probably won't be much better. I have no motivation to make dinner so trying to decide what to have with the leftover venison from yesterday. I've prepped some cabbage and leeks so something with those should be easy enough.

We have run out of bread so hopefully DH will remember to pick some up on the way home. We made all our own bread when we lived in the States but we haven't quite got back into the swing of it yet. I also spent £2 on toddler group this morning. Tomorrow I'll need bus fare for town so hopefully Wednesday will be a NSD!
  • Not quite a NSD after all :(

Bus fare to town. Had to return some stuff onto a gift card that I got for Christmas. Couldn't return everything which was unexpected so called the store I bought it from (it's a chain) and they said I can take it back there. It's not close by and takes a long time on the bus but fortunately a friend is heading there on Friday so I can catch a lift with them.

Unexpected visit to the supermarket but I did find some haggis for Burns' Night next week! This is our first year in England so I wasn't sure if it would be available. Happy days!

Managed to get kiddos to bed fairly easily but now I'm sleepy. I've got a bag of stuff to sort through and photograph to get the eb@y ball rolling. It's just taking photos takes so long. I did manage to sell quite a bit before Christmas so I should just get it done. Also need to sort the toys and put aside things to get rid of. Just want to sit on the couch with some chocolate and watch tv! Ugh, need to make lunches for tomorrow as well. Better go get things done!
  • Another slightly speedy day today; I went to check out the Boots 70% off sale. Wow, there were so many people coming out of the store with huge bagfuls! I did pick up a couple of small body lotion sets that will be perfect for some upcoming birthdays and they were a good price. Then just a £1 pair of gloves for C, because he only has one pair I'm always nervous he will lose them and then we will be stuck!

I went to return the bra I got fitted for that left me with bruises! They took it back no problem. I was really choking on spending £20 never to get any use out of it. Thinking I might need to head elsewhere for another fitting now though, which is always a headache with the minion in tow.

oh, I did get paid today and it is my 'extra' pay for the year since I get paid every 4 weeks. I've kept a bit aside since I'm going out with the girls next weekend and I used the rest towards the little bit left outstanding on the CC after Christmas. No obvious savings yet! Where will this 6k come from!? Ha, I'm just impatient to get started. We did open a Help to buy ISA the other day so I need to transfer this month's £200 into that. It isn't new savings though, just coming from our existing account so I can't include it.

Should be a quiet weekend. I work Saturday nights but we do sometimes head to the pub on a Sunday afternoon for a quiet pint and some board games. It's cheap just now because I have a 50% discount, but also tempting to go just because of that!

Happy Friday!!
  • *little.squirrel*
    *little.squirrel* Posts: 78
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 January 2018 at 12:38PM
    No significant savings so far this month. We had a little left on the CC after Christmas so all the extra money has gone towards that so far. The final grocery shop for the month should be delivered today though and I should be coming in under budget. DH and I also challenged ourselves not to buy any alcohol and we have managed that too. Only one bottle of wine left on the rack :beer: Meal planning together has really helped, and DH has been having a look at the shopping list too and helping decide what to tweak or what to add. Hopefully we can keep it up.

Just nipped to the PO to get stamps and also a sweetie for E. They kiddos always request a treat when we go there which makes it a given other than a treat now, but it also keeps them happy. I usually try and steer them towards the 2 for £1 offer but since I only had one child today it was 65p.

Slightly speedy weekend coming up. I'm heading up north for a night out with friends - it rarely happens and is only my third night away from the kids, ever, so I'm not going to worry too much. I did buy a mini bottle of wine for the train already so I don't need to pay train prices, and I'm heading to the library to pick up a book for the journey. Staying with my sister so accommodation is free. :)

The weather is supposed to be decent on Sunday so another trip down the allotment is on the cards. We have lots of seeds and some gardening bits already, plus a shed that was already on the plot. Our fence blew down last week so I asked the guy who repaired it if we could keep the leftover wood and he agreed so we should be able to use it to mark out paths and beds, and maybe a compost heap. We'll see. We will need to get some compost and a big spade and we'll need to use the car club to transport it, but hopefully it will be money well spent.
  • rawr_
    rawr_ Posts: 190
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    Slightly speedy weekend coming up. I'm heading up north for a night out with friends - it rarely happens and is only my third night away from the kids, ever, so I'm not going to worry too much. I did buy a mini bottle of wine for the train already so I don't need to pay train prices, and I'm heading to the library to pick up a book for the journey. Staying with my sister so accommodation is free. :)

Have a lovely time, you need to have some fun now and again! :j
    Biggest Comp Wins: Tour of Vietnam 2015 | Baby Rawr_ was born 16/03/20!
  • Thanks rawr_

I did have a great weekend and managed to stick within budget which I was happy about. I've got a couple of things on eB@y that will sell but not until Feb. Savings for January looking a bit grim, but only because we carried over some debt from Christmas. We underspent in a few budgeted areas so we will have a few £££ to save, just now as much as I would like on a monthly basis. Got to start somewhere though!

Meeting at the bank tomorrow to get all our savings accounts put in both our names - hoping this keeps DH motivated. Also going to get his personal current account reopened so he can keep track of his own spending. Thens he's off to London on Wednesday, right at the end of the month! Hope it isn't too spendy so we do have something to save! HE should be able to claim some expenses but they take a while to come through. Already planning a quiet Feb, although my folks are planning to visit for a few days. That shouldn't be too expensive, but will require a bit more midweek wine than usual, plus a bigger grocery bill. On the plus side, they have a decent size car so we will be able to move all the wood to the allotment and starts getting the beds built, and I'll also be able to get to Ald! for a food shop.

I'll have a final total for savings on Wednesday, but hoping there's something left over to start the journey to 6k!!
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 February 2018 at 9:40PM
    If your OH is incuring expenses regularly it's worth finding a good reward credit card. I try and stick all my expenses on Nectar Amex (apply via TopCashBack but beware annual fee after year one) or falling back to the Mastercard Clubcard (again TopCashBack) credit card. I claim quickly and am often reimbursed before clearing the balance each month. As such my expenses have a positive impact to my cashflow and I got lots of points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure