PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• Glbooth3
    Glbooth3 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    No address for it or anything? No name of a worker there? If you got a number stick it in google, may bring link up to a worker or the old website or something....or some other info you could possibly google and find out more, or better still give it me, I Should of been a detective, so nosy and it's Amazin how much info can be gained by googling bits and piecin it together. Searching on Facebook if you have any names can also bring up links to businesses etc
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Glbooth3 wrote: »
    No address for it or anything? No name of a worker there? If you got a number stick it in google, may bring link up to a worker or the old website or something....or some other info you could possibly google and find out more, or better still give it me, I Should of been a detective, so nosy and it's Amazin how much info can be gained by googling bits and piecin it together. Searching on Facebook if you have any names can also bring up links to businesses etc

I do have the agent's name, but not a Facebook. Judging from the conversation I had with HMRC an hour ago I think there is more to it than a filing error and I may have to contact the police.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But it says in the contract that the agreement can be terminated by the landlord with two month's notice...? I am so confused by this, is it really true that a 12 month agreement effectively runs forever unless the tenant or court ends it? Why is it called a 12 month contract and not a lifetime contract?? How is it right that the tenant can stay after 12 months ends when there is no contract in place and if I am politely and with two month's notice asking them to leave?

:eek: :( :huh: :shocked: :undecided:wall::think::silenced::naughty::doh:
    I am experiencing all this right now when people start being a landlord and have basic questions - meaning they don't bother researching and just think, I move out, people move in and pay me.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    In that case, I think it would be better for the tenants' health if they bought their own bed and let the wolfdog sleep in the four poster. Can't expect two adults to sleep in a kids' bed.

There is a good king sized bed in the another room, I would not expect them to sleep in the antique bed - but the thought of ANIMALS sleeping in it is very unwelcome, it has an original C18th stuffed mattress and ruining something like that with fleas and smells is just not amusing.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a good king sized bed in the another room, I would not expect them to sleep in the antique bed - but the thought of ANIMALS sleeping in it is very unwelcome, it has an original C18th stuffed mattress and ruining something like that with fleas and smells is just not amusing.

If you value these things, perhaps you should have watched more TV.

Later, they head to Essex to track down the tenants of a country estate who owe their landlord more than £10,000 - but have since disappeared.
    Paul and Steve attend an eviction in Buckinghamshire where the tenant owes more than £26,000 in rent on his country estate residence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can%27t_Pay%3F_We%27ll_Take_It_Away!
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    If all else fails you can always set your dragons on the tenants, their direwolf - I mean Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, and the letting agent. In fact whilst you're at it feel free to take out HMRC, preferably before I have to pay my next bill.

I'm glad you are having a very merry evening.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    If you value these things, perhaps you should have watched more TV.

Later, they head to Essex to track down the tenants of a country estate who owe their landlord more than £10,000 - but have since disappeared.
    Paul and Steve attend an eviction in Buckinghamshire where the tenant owes more than £26,000 in rent on his country estate residence.

This is not a helpful programme!! My agent has disappeared and with him the damage deposit!
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    The message on the HMRC line stated that calls are recorded, is this true?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Strikes me you need to take some time off work & do a little physical investigating.....like knocking on doors of agents.

Seems your tenants & their dog is now the least of your problems
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Don't those sorts of people have solicitors and accountants to protect them from themselves?

They do, but if they decided not to tell the accountants about this because the rental agent said it was all covered, there's not much that the accountant could do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure