UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Just an update and to get this thread back on track, my Ecodan heat pump has been operating for 2 years 5 months, my electric usage for the whole house (185 m2, 4 bed detached, running UFH @36 degrees and all domestic hot water 210 Litre cylinder 55C for a family of four) for 2009 it was £837, for 2010 it was £940
    Since Jan 1st 2011 we have used 3277 kWh units of electric, averaging 27 units a day, about £2.50/day, A similar size house with a heat pump running 30% upgraded radiators at 45 to 50 degrees and all other similar household appliances might cost IRO £2.80 to £3.30/day if the latter then an annual fuel bill of £1,204.00 could be a little more, or even less depending on other usage and heating patterns.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    That is very good i know so one who has a ecodan and their house is over twice the size of mine and their electricity bill as very low to.
    albyota wrote: »
    Just an update and to get this thread back on track, my Ecodan heat pump has been operating for 2 years 5 months, my electric usage for the whole house (185 m2, 4 bed detached, running UFH @36 degrees and all domestic hot water 210 Litre cylinder 55C for a family of four) for 2009 it was £837, for 2010 it was £940
    Since Jan 1st 2011 we have used 3277 kWh units of electric, averaging 27 units a day, about £2.50/day, A similar size house with a heat pump running 30% upgraded radiators at 45 to 50 degrees and all other similar household appliances might cost IRO £2.80 to £3.30/day if the latter then an annual fuel bill of £1,204.00 could be a little more, or even less depending on other usage and heating patterns.
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Hi i did not say any other heat pumps i only said the 360p, My house is only 95m2 and i have been told the 360p is ok for up to 160m2?
    albyota wrote: »
    ra200, I was one of the first to point out to you that the Nibe 360 exhaust heat pump has either not been specified correctly and/or commissioned properly or even fit for purpose, it should not have been installed in the size of house you have, especially as there is mains gas close by, LA, HA and the developers were all stitched up in my opinion.

There are 35 or more manufacturers of heat pumps, some very very good, but a large amount of rubbish out there, and until the whole industry is sorted out, unfortunately people like you have to suffer other peoples experiments,
    please do not tar all heat pumps with the same brush just because you have had a bad experience, sooner or later, most rural off gas grid housing associations will fit heat pumps.

P.S. I have read all your posts, As Cardew says, 'fight one battle at a time'..... but stick to one thread, I know how pi**ed o££ you are.
  • Edale
    Edale Posts: 240
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Week 3 since Ecodan 14KW ASHP fitted, total electricity consumption this week 221KWH, I was expecting it to be less with the warmer weather but we did have the heating on most of last weekend with my Father staying and Mrs Edale seems to be addicted to the tumble drier - I have had a word.
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Edale, same as me 31 units a day, £2.85, we have an alternative to a tumble drier, get Mrs Edale a dehumidifier for the clothes drying, pulls 300 watts per hour, 2 hours and the clothes are dry, it sucks 2 litres of water straight out into a tank, use the condense water in the iron or on the plants.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • Edale
    Edale Posts: 240
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2011 at 9:02AM
    Total electricity usage this week has been 171kwh. As expected it is less with the warmer weather although the heating has come on every morning and every night apart from last night. Cost this week £14.19, prior to ASHP we used an average of 16kwh per day, 112kwh per week or £9.30 per week. Total electricity used since installation exactly 4 weeks ago is 875 units or £72.63 = £18.16 per week, this includes all washing, cooking, lights, tumble drier (grr) etc. Previous heating was with old oil boiler and from moving in at end of June last year we used an average of 60 litres per week, current price is 62p per litre so £37 per week.

Therefore average weekly elec/oil bill July 2010 - Feb 2011 = £46
    average weekly bill since ASHP fitted = £18.16

I know I am not comparing like with like but it still looks good to me!
  • We bought a cheapo heat pump / air conditioner last year for £349, in order to learn how easy it is to install one as a DIY job in a rather awkward London semi-detached house with no mains gas. At that price, we could afford to write it off to experience, if necessary. Rather to our amazement it really did cost £349 with no hidden extras, apart from our own costs (less than £20) in drill bits to get through a house wall, foam to seal the hole, tape to hold tubes in place, and so on. Once our initial terror at confronting an unfamiliar device was over, we just followed the instructions and connected hot and cold ends up on opposite sides of a wall. It works okay, drawing less than 1kW from a 13-amp socket, and ran throughout the winter. We have no idea what its COP actually is, but it has probably paid off its capital cost in one winter. The point of this post is just to encourage anyone else to consider the DIY route, if you have a suitable place to put the cold end and a strong friend to help lift the compressor unit.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    More lively debate over on ra200's personal thread about a failed heat pump installation here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=43155056&highlight=#post43155056

(BBC programme has got a total refund for the victim = so there must be another cheap heat pump available for heating a swimming pool this summer:T)
  • rogerbanana
    rogerbanana Posts: 30 Forumite
    as i understand it, these are not designed to heat a house from cold, they easily maintain comfort when the fabric of the house is warm, its daft to let any house go stone cold then try to heat it with any type , money down the drain!---
    i am looking at the husky system of heat pump(air to water) they claim 2.27 to 5.00 COP at -7 to +25 c.
    i will be retaining my old gas boiler and it will be incorporated directly into the installation. my house is a modern 4 bed with loft ins. and cavity wall ins. and the only mod. i will have to do is to increase the radiator sizes as the water (C.H.) will be cooler than if heated by gas alone, so the surface areas have to be increased to get the same results.
    all this is what i have found out by talking to the installation shop, i will know more when the surveyor calls next week. will post more info. when he has been. watch this space!
    roger.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    as i understand it, these are not designed to heat a house from cold, they easily maintain comfort when the fabric of the house is warm, its daft to let any house go stone cold then try to heat it with any type , money down the drain!---
    i am looking at the husky system of heat pump(air to water) they claim 2.27 to 5.00 COP at -7 to +25 c.
    i will be retaining my old gas boiler and it will be incorporated directly into the installation. my house is a modern 4 bed with loft ins. and cavity wall ins. and the only mod. i will have to do is to increase the radiator sizes as the water (C.H.) will be cooler than if heated by gas alone, so the surface areas have to be increased to get the same results.
    all this is what i have found out by talking to the installation shop, i will know more when the surveyor calls next week. will post more info. when he has been. watch this space!
    roger.

All the advice from EST etc is don't get a heat pump if you have gas.

It is pretty pointless quoting the theoretical COP of the heat pump itself. The EST trials showed that they are not achieved in practice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback