Revolut Card - Not Fit for Purpose

Options

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 February 2017 at 10:03AM
    Options
    I got this card before i went to Orlando, loaded £1000 from my savings on to the account
    1) We eat at the Outback Restaurant, 2 different amounts were taken off my balance, one had a tip one didnt, had to wait 10 working days to be reimbursed
    2) Bought something from the Lacoste outlet, had the exact amount taken off 2, now been 10 working days, as the trasactions have been completed i am supposed to contact Lacoste in orlando, fill out a form and this takes 45 days, this is my money, they are keeping. the help or severe lack of it from Revolut is a disgrace, all by an app support, these people do not know what they are doing, the helpine cuts you off and says no one is available
    3) when back in th uk, i went to Frankies and bennys, the amount came off straight away, but the card was declined!!! now have to wait for this as well

I was mis sold on this card, it is not fit for purpose.

I have been warning against using Revolut (and Monzo and others) for some time. Bottom line: If you put your money on any card which has no guarantees whatsoever and come to grief it's your own fault. Put it down to experience.

Really, all we have to go on when we look at any card is its track record and Revolut's track record is not impressive. To single out just two problems is the initial problem with non-existent support in the app and most recently coming to grief with its card issuer Paysafe by not adhering to the terms of its partnership and withdrawing cards issued outside of Europe without prior warning. In the latter case the advice Revolut gave was transfer your balance out or lose it.

Lastly I don't believe hype without qualification and Revolut is hyped about as much as it gets even on MSE Forums!
  • Norscbu
    Norscbu Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I'd add to this thread that it is not free, there is a minimum £5 delivery charge :[
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    True, but most card providers won't fob you off demanding that you contact the merchant to resolve this, especially as there is a special chargeback code for duplicate transactions.

Duplicate Transactions !

This has happened to the wife twice now, first time 70EUR in Ukraine was taken twice (had to contact the Financial Ombudsman before it was resolved), now today again at a supermarket ATM here in the UK.

@Grumbler, can you explain "there is a special chargeback code for duplicate transactions" ???
  • eco_warrior
    Options
    tommie wrote: »
    Duplicate Transactions !

This has happened to the wife twice now, first time 70EUR in Ukraine was taken twice (had to contact the Financial Ombudsman before it was resolved), now today again at a supermarket ATM here in the UK.

@Grumbler, can you explain "there is a special chargeback code for duplicate transactions" ???

If it’s a Mastercard, which it should be, then there are disputes for the situations you describe. Revolut should know this and should be following Mastercards process to gain your refund. Poor service if they won’t/can’t. The transactions will need to debit so if 1 or both are pending you need to wait
  • GOMCP
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    I have been warning against using Revolut (and Monzo and others) for some time. Bottom line: If you put your money on any card which has no guarantees whatsoever and come to grief it's your own fault. Put it down to experience.

Really, all we have to go on when we look at any card is its track record and Revolut's track record is n ot impressive. To single out just two problems is the initial problem with non-existent support in the app and most recently coming to grief with its card issuer Paysafe by not adhering to the terms of its partnership and withdrawing cards issued outside of Europe without prior warning. In the latter case the advice Revolut gave was transfer your balance out or lose it.

Lastly I don't believe hype without qualification and Revolut is hyped about as much as it gets even on MSE Forums!

I have used Revolut on trips to the USA & Europe.
    Basically it is very "flakey". As mentioned in other posts it will not work in petrol stations. (The first time I tried the card was unusable for a few days - apparently the system "holds" the funds until cleared and this "screws" the card.) (This even happened in the UK!)
    But my biggest gripe is the poor display on the App.. It duplicates transactions! When this first occurred (in the USA) I did have a mild panic & it was a nightmare contacting the "so called" support team. When I viewed the App sometime later the duplicate had disappeared but another had appeared. I assume therefore that it is an issue with the App. The "support" team (I assume) can only view the base transactions and so were very unhelpful with regard to the App. Support is only provided by online chat and so it is difficult to display the App screen via the chat. I have written (very old school I know, but I thought a physical letter could at least show the App screen) - but no response.

Also tips sometimes appeared and sometimes don't................

So you have a Card where the App does not reflect the transactions made. Not a good situation for a so-called financial product where you depend on the information provided to keep accurate track of your spend.

This in itself is a statement about Revolut's view of its customers.
  • AllieKat
    AllieKat Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Only 2 is likely a real issue. 1 and 3 are most likely because a lot of the Fintechs are showing authorisations as if they have posted. In most cases this is accurate. The money isn't available to spend. That said, it can be confusing in cases like these. The non-tip amount and the transaction in 3 are both amounts they authorised that won't post. Traditional banks show these as 'pending'. You still can't spend the money until the authorisation expires.

The cause of 1 is because the card networks allow post-authorisation tip adjustment in the US market. 3 I'd have to speculate but I'd guess Revolut approved it but it failed somewhere else in the process. This can happen with any bank and again you won't be able to spend the money until it falls off. It will just be in a pending list.

2 is the real issue with Revolut. It sounds like the merchant may have posted it twice and Revolut are just saying 'tough talk to them'. They should be raising a Mastercard chargeback if it posted twice.

I really am a huge fan of Monzo they may be worth checking out, but 1 and 3 will be exactly the same. The customer service is way way better though, so you can expect them to raise a chargeback if that happens, not brush you off!
  • matesalka
    matesalka Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2018 at 8:30PM
    Options
    I have had an absolute nightmare with Revoult. They initiated chargebacks without my authorisation for any old transaction and posted over !!!8364; 300 as one merchant when it was in fact another merchant. I then of course didn't recognise the transaction so did a chargeback and then the the correct merchant contacted me angrily to ask why I did a chargeback. An absolute nightmare! Such a pity because I actually liked them before this mess and recommended them. Errors can occur in any bank but it is the ability and willingness to able to fix the errors that is important in my view.

By the way you can communicate with them by email. You need to ask them for their formal complaints form and they will give you a link. Fill that in and then they will email you and you can then communicate via email so can send screenshots etc.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    matesalka wrote: »
    They initiated chargebacks without my authorisation for any old transaction and posted over !!!8364; 300 as one merchant when it was in fact another merchant. I then of course didn't recognise the transaction so did a chargeback and then the the correct merchant contacted me angrily to ask why I did a chargeback.
    It's hard to follow what you mean, perhaps the confusion arose not entirely without your part in it..?

Today a rep appeared five seconds after I requested 'live agent' on the in-app chat, and as always attended to my issue with perfect understanding and English.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Rudess
    Rudess Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Had extremely good experience in the year that I have Revolut. Been using it in Switzerland, Italy, Denmark and Israel and it was perfect for all transactions.

The value is great as you don't have to pay commission as with a credit card.

I made one experiment before paying with Revolut at Zurich airport checking how much 70CHF will be converted to. If I paid with my credit card the exchange rate would not been great and I'd be paying some commission. So with Revolut it was actually £4 cheaper for the transaction.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Rudess wrote: »
    Had extremely good experience in the year that I have Revolut. Been using it in Switzerland, Italy, Denmark and Israel and it was perfect for all transactions.

The value is great as you don't have to pay commission as with a credit card.

I made one experiment before paying with Revolut at Zurich airport checking how much 70CHF will be converted to. If I paid with my credit card the exchange rate would not been great and I'd be paying some commission. So with Revolut it was actually £4 cheaper for the transaction.

Most credit cards will charge c3% and give you a near perfect exchange rate.

Which credit card are you saying would have cost you nearly 8%?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure