PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• 1. There are remedies to unwanted pregnancies or have the last 40 odd years of abortion/adoption/etc not happened apparently.

2. They knew what the contract said - so if they decided subsequently to break it = onus on them to deal with that (ie find somewhere else to live).
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Penitent wrote: »
    Oh, I see, you want the LL/agent to ignore equality/human rights legislation. Don't you think he's in enough trouble?

I can just imagine money as a landlord with a "no children" clause in the TA popping round with a wire coathanger and knitting needle if she found out the tenant was pregnant.
  • My sister who lives a couple of miles away has very kindly agreed to do an inspection if the tenants will ALLOW her into the property. I am going to call them today.
  • 1. There are remedies to unwanted pregnancies or have the last 40 odd years of abortion/adoption/etc not happened apparently.

2. They knew what the contract said - so if they decided subsequently to break it = onus on them to deal with that (ie find somewhere else to live).

You surpass yourself yet again. People having abortions to avoid breaching their tenancy agreement.

Are you trying to make a fool of yourself? Honestly, is that it?
  • My sister who lives a couple of miles away has very kindly agreed to do an inspection if the tenants will ALLOW her into the property. I am going to call them today.

Honestly, I don't know what you hope to achieve by this. You have far greater problems. What do you propose to do based on the results of your inspection?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I just can't believe that is true. What if it were a whole zoo? What if it were a brothel?? What if they were assembling nuclear bombs or sacrificing children at the altar??? There must be a line somewhere!
    Yes there is, where the law is involved. Keeping a dog isn't illegal....
  • Guest101
    Why?

The agent (or supposed agent in this case) asks them at the outset if they have any children or are pregnant. Simples....
    Equality act - read it...
  • Guest101
    1. There are remedies to unwanted pregnancies or have the last 40 odd years of abortion/adoption/etc not happened apparently.

that's not what the law says
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 3:03PM
    Guest101 wrote: »
    That's not likely to happen for many reasons, but as you clearly have no knowledge on this subject matter, it's simpler to say - no, that's not possible.

No, wear and tear would be covered. Dogs mess from a dog that should not be there would not be. Assuming the dog has hair and can not float or has accidents.

Are you suggesting it would also be ok to smoke if the agreement said you can not with no redress. Sounds like your knowledge and common sense are missing.

That's what I would do and then they can look into the possibility of it not happening......but thanks.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    prostitution and murder are illegal. keeping a pet is not.

when their tenancy is up, please do NOT do this again. you are far too attached to your ancestral home and have zero idea what you're doing, what rights you and the tenant have, or even how to market this with a reputable agent. given you have stated you've never needed to work, you wouldn't need the money to cover a mortgage or anything so if you're going away just leave it empty and get the nosy neighbour to check it.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family