Claiming money back on convention tickets

Hi all :-)
Just looking for a bit of advice, I purchased a ticket (£120) for a convention that I was looking to attending next year. I purchased the ticket via bank transfer as this was the only payment method that the company would accept. I found out today that the company (wcm events/Rogue events) has ceased trading and has entered into an insolvency procedure. So I was wondering if there is anything I can be doing to get my £120 back or is it lost??
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    you need to find out who the administrator is and log a claim as an unsecure creditor, but you will way down the list as HMRC, banks etc get paid first and if anything is left them you may get some money back
  • JESSLT
    JESSLT Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks both of you for your help! Doesnt sound like I'll have much luck but can only try I suppose!!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    JESSLT wrote: »
    I found out today that the company (wcm events/Rogue events) has ceased trading and has entered into an insolvency procedure

If only there was some warning sign ;-)

Sorry for your troubles though, that totally sucks.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JESSLT wrote: »
    via bank transfer as this was the only payment method that the company would accept.

Head and brick wall! Good luck.
  • angryparcel
    Looks like someone has been telling porkies as WCM Events is very much still active

M.aspx?v=8c7266875997afbda7a2
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Looks like someone has been telling porkies as WCM Events is very much still active

A company can show as being active but can still have ceased trading and as it was only last Monday that they announced they had ceased, it might take a while for companies house to get updated and for an administrator to be arranged.

https://rogueevent.co.uk/wordpress/wcm/
  • angryparcel
    A company can show as being active but can still have ceased trading and as it was only last Monday that they announced they had ceased, it might take a while for companies house to get updated and for an administrator to be arranged.

https://rogueevent.co.uk/wordpress/wcm/
    but maybe the OP should contact the accountants that are acting as the registered office to find out the state of play.

Being active means they still have liabilities and owes the OP a full refund
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    I doubt very much if the accountant would be willing to give out any information about one of their clients to a third party as in all likelihood they would be bound by the Data protection act.

I fully agree that the company owe a full refund but if they don't actually have any assets and as it's is a limited company, getting that refund will be next to impossible.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    paddyrg wrote: »
    If only there was some warning sign ;-)

WCM = we can't manage? we clasp money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income