Last Minute Weekend Cancellation

My job is supposed to be 9-5 Monday to Friday. I rarely get away at 5 and my lunch hour is usually forgotten about. Today just as I was finishing off for the week I'm told I have to give up my weekend to complete a project. This is obviously unpaid work.

As this is my weekend gone, have I any justification in asking for this time back?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I would imagine this would depend on the job role, the salary, and the expectations/agreements around extra hours when needed.

If you're a minimum wage/no responsibility job, then you'd be expecting to be paid.
    If you're an extremely well paid barrister/trouble shooter etc where working over and above is the norm when there's deadlines to meet, then it's a bit less clear.
    So which end of the scale are you, and what information was given to you when you took on the role, and what does your contract say?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not "obviously unpaid", we only have your word for it, what makes you say that it's unpaid?

If you are on minimum wage, or even above to some extent, it would have to be paid otherwise it would be illegal. If that doesn't come into play then it's contractual, and if you have accepted a contract that requires you to do unpaid overtime then that was your choice and you now have to live by that choice, or negotiate an exception with your employer.
  • choyaa
    choyaa Posts: 226 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    It's not "obviously unpaid", we only have your word for it, what makes you say that it's unpaid?

If you are on minimum wage, or even above to some extent, it would have to be paid otherwise it would be illegal. If that doesn't come into play then it's contractual, and if you have accepted a contract that requires you to do unpaid overtime then that was your choice and you now have to live by that choice, or negotiate an exception with your employer.

Quite a nasty response, just forget. This forum is particularly nasty in general.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    choyaa wrote: »
    Quite a nasty response, just forget. This forum is particularly nasty in general.
    No it isn't nasty. It is simply factual. Do you always react with such a nasty knee jerk reaction when someone tells you something?

There is nothing "obvious" about this being unpaid work. Your post does not detail that you asked about payment for this work over the weekend and were told no. Did you? Did you, in fact, ask anything about the compensation for this weekend work? Or did you just agree and walk away quietly? Then come here and vent your spleen on people trying to advise you on the question that you asked? Being objectionable to people on here as a replacement for talking to your employer is really low.

Since agrinnal's response is entirely thorough and accurate, based on the information that you have given (which is next to none), I won't be adding to it. There might be something we can add - if you actually give us some information. And an apology to agrinall would be the response of a mature adult.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It very much comes down to your contract and two possible claused stating '....and any other duties as required for the job', followed by 'working hours: X, and on occasion additional as required for the job'.

Whether your boss will be flexible might depend on the reasons why the project wasn't finished yesterday. If they feel that it is your fault, then I doubt they would you deserve to take the time off to compensate.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

You mean:

"Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that you took the time and trouble to formulate a response."
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    My job is supposed to be 9-5 Monday to Friday. I rarely get away at 5 and my lunch hour is usually forgotten about. Today just as I was finishing off for the week I'm told I have to give up my weekend to complete a project. This is obviously unpaid work.

As this is my weekend gone, have I any justification in asking for this time back?

Don't ask don't get.

If you did work today you have lost some of the negotiating options. should discussed it Friday when asked.

I would need more information to consider if I think you are justified in getting TOIL if they don't pay for overtime.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

I read this forum a lot but rarely have anything to contribute as a lot of information is about employment law.

The vast majority of posts are extremely helpful and there are some very knowledgable people on here. I would thus disagree with your comment that "this forum is particularly nasty in general" :)
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    This is the beauty of forums. You can get told what you need to hear not what you want to hear and sometimes the truth hurts.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    eamon wrote: »
    ...sometimes the truth hurts.
    Enough to not have the courtesy of apologising or thanking people. The OP was on line yesterday morning to read their responses. Not the slightest hint of being sorry for being so nasty to agrinall or other posters here. Obviously they are "particularly nasty in general". Shame people here wasted their time on them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure