university worker termination of employment

Options
crism
crism Posts: 68 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 21 February 2018 at 10:06PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi all,
Could I please ask you to advise on the following?
My friend has been a PhD student at an University.
The deal that she had was a scholarschip connected to employment, where she was to provide certain amount of hours teaching/demonstrating to students within related to her specialization field.
Additionally to this deal she had an associate lecturer contract, to take up extra work when required. This is in place because she has been restricted in her original deal to certain ampunt of hours teaching per year.
Recently, due to family related reasons, she had to give up on her PhD, her deal therefore came to an end, where the scholarschip/ employment deal has ended.
What remains in place however is her Associate Lecturer contract.

Now, she receives a communication from the University to get her consent to terminate her Associate Lecturer contract as she will not be teaching anymore and to send her the p45.
What we are all wondering here, is that if the University is trying to get her into voluntary termination of her employment? And what comes after that, are they perhaps trying to avoid paying her redundancy? Surely, they should not be suggesting her to give her consent to end her employment since she is not
teaching?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Comments

• Jennifer_Eccles
    Options
    I don't think she is being made redundant. She was taken on as an associate lecturer in her field of study because she was a PhD student at the University. As she has withdrawn from her PhD study, she is no longer eligible for the associate lectureship post. She has in effect resigned and I think the University are just trying to sort out the paperwork.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She's not redundant because presumably there are still lectures that need lecturing.

Is it a zero hours arrangement?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • crism
    crism Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for answering this question.
    The fact that she is stopping lecturing is indeed caused by the fact that she is no longer a PhD student, although those two are not related. Associate Lecturer post I believe could be upheld, since there are people who remain contracted while not lecturing.
    To me this appears to be a zero hours agreement, since she is not told whether she will be teaching during an academic year at all, and was doing so if and when an opportunity arose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure