Batten down the hatches.....

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Just read your diary from start to finish and what a roller coaster. So many congratulations on getting to grips with budgeting and your savings accounts, reducing your debt, renovating your house and last but not least getting a new job. Well done.

Is your new job commutable from your current house in case it takes longer than you expect to sell? My daughter moved from Midlands back to the South West at the end of last year for a new and much better job. She had to sell her house in Midlands and buy a flat in the South West as much more expensive. She found a buyer within a few weeks in September 2016 but what with all the legal stuff and Christmas she did not actually complete until February 2017 and that is with a small chain as her buyer was an investor and the flat she bought was empty. She rented a room off a friend in her new home town in the end but she had no pets so it might be worth thinking up a plan if it takes longer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Just read your diary from start to finish and what a roller coaster. So many congratulations on getting to grips with budgeting and your savings accounts, reducing your debt, renovating your house and last but not least getting a new job. Well done.

Is your new job commutable from your current house in case it takes longer than you expect to sell? My daughter moved from Midlands back to the South West at the end of last year for a new and much better job. She had to sell her house in Midlands and buy a flat in the South West as much more expensive. She found a buyer within a few weeks in September 2016 but what with all the legal stuff and Christmas she did not actually complete until February 2017 and that is with a small chain as her buyer was an investor and the flat she bought was empty. She rented a room off a friend in her new home town in the end but she had no pets so it might be worth thinking up a plan if it takes longer.

Thanks enthusiastic, that's very kind of you. Yes lots of ups and downs!

It's is commutable although it will be horrible I'm sure. It will be through Birmingham on the M6 but hoping the hours will mean it's a bit easier. I've sort of got a plan to stay over in my hometown the odd night if I really need a rest and I can get someone to feed my cats. I don't really want to leave my cats too much though as I'll miss and worry about them ;)

I hope your daughter is all sorted now. I'm sure it's very frustrating just waiting for things to happen but worth it in the end when you can move in and relax. :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • Orange_Ena
    Sunday 7th
    * £3.45 in T3sco

Monday 8th May
    * £30.34 in M0rrisons but £12 was cleaning products, air freshener, kitchen towels etc
    * £3.09 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Youg0v survey
    * VO survey
    * PA survey

Tuesday 9th May
    * £3.40 in Wilk0
    * £2.30 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * PA survey

Wednesday 10th May
    * NSD
    * 0nep0ll survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st surveys and £2.50 redeemed and transferred to my CHEFS account
    * Youg0v survey
    * 2 PA surveys
    * VO survey

Thursday 11th
    * £22.10 for fuel
    * £4.50 in T3sco
    * Youg0v survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * 4 PA surveys
    * P0pulusLive survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st surveys

Friday 12th May
    * £2.20 in the butchers
    * £3.99 in the c0-op
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll survey

DMIC 3/12

Just when things were looking up and there was a chink of light at the end of the tunnel, I've been dragged back into the darkness. On Sunday a pipe burst and flooded the downstairs of my house. It was like a high powered hose going off, but luckily I was here. It was the wrong side of the stopcock and it needed to be switched off outside and I was obviously in a panic and I couldn't think straight so I had to ring the fire brigade who could not have been lovelier. They were so helpful, and calming and reassuring, they checked my cats were ok, got all the water out and left me in a better state than when they arrived.

My home emergency insurance thing sent someone but unfortunately they didn't have the right part so I was without water for 2 days in the end as the repairs got authorised too late on the Monday for the contactor to be sent. So that was a bit hellish. I kept having to nip out for the loo but I bought some big bottles of water eventually for flushing.

I spent most of Sunday night crying and hardly slept and I couldn't face work on Monday, plus I had the insurance and repair calls to make so I had to take leave, and also leave on the Tuesday to get the water back on and for the insurance assessor to look at the damage. The kitchen has a bit of damage but the worst is in the lounge as all my laminate floor is lifting. Wednesday was my day off and luckily the company that originally fitted my kitchen and lounge were able to come and give me a quote for the repairs so I could send it to the insurance. Wednesday was also the day that the photos were taken for the estate agent so this burst pipe couldn't have happened at a worse time really. But the photos look amazing and all being well, I'll actually be on the market on Monday.

Then on Thursday I heard from my new job with a conditional offer of appointment. They've confirmed my starting salary is on the lowest salary point for band 2 which is a bit of a blow. I'd read online somewhere that all new nhs starters are usually placed on the lowest point but people with nhs experience who are dropping bands can be put up higher. All my figures for the move have been based on a higher salary so that was obviously very silly of me. I feel at this point I've got nothing to lose so I emailed back asking if there was any negotiation and they haven't said no but have asked for my last payslip so maybe there's hope. Until I move I don't really know what my living costs will be, if I can afford to run a car etc so if I take the job at the lower wage, I'm stuck, probably getting into debt, feeling like I've made the worst choice. :(

So this just tipped me over the edge on Thursday and I spent most of my time between patients crying as quietly as I could. It's actually quite frightening how easy it is for me to suck the tears up and plaster on a fake smile and pretend I'm interested in what people are saying.

I rang to get a gp appointment as I felt I needed to go back on antidepressants, which I've been thinking about for a while, and to my surprise they offered me an appointment after work. She was lovely and she listened and I got a prescription so I'll start them today.

Yesterday the insurance authorised the money to be allocated for the repairs, less £350 excess, which my emergency fund will luckily cover so I can get that sorted soon, and at least any house viewers can be reassured that it's all in hand. They have been very efficient which I'm grateful for.

I had planned a weekend in my hometown so I could flat hunt but as I'm not yet on the market it seems a bit premature, plus I'm so tired after this week's shenanigans I decided to postpone it. I want a weekend of nothingness, no shopping, no cleaning, no surveys. To go back to bed after the cats are fed and to stay in my pyjamas. I even deactivated FB on Thursday so I can have a break from all the notifications, and no one can tag me in anything. It's been great so far. I was tempted to log on last night to see if any colleagues mentioned the nhs cyber attacks but then I realised I don't care if they did or not. :rotfl:

I hope a weekend of wallowing, reading and resting will get me out of this slump. I feel like such a Debbie downer but things were looking up, and now right at this moment I don't feel that things are going to work out as I hoped. I'm trapped in my job for longer if I don't get the salary I need and that is just so frustrating but I'll still push on with the move either way so at least I can focus on that.

I know things could be so much worse, I really do know that, but I'm feeling very sorry for myself.
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    :smileyhea
    Hi Ena, so sorry to hear of all of this! I can't find a hugs emoji!!!!
    Have a nice restful weekend. The house situation was awful but has been put back on track by the sounds of things. What an awful experience!
    The job situation is not all lost. Don't lose heart yet. If you're already in the NHS you have a decent arguement to keep the same salary. Just hope it all works out for you. Enjoy a quiet weekend- it's Eurovision tonight, I bet the kitten would love to watch:)
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • ChicaBonita
    ChicaBonita Posts: 673 Forumite
    Ena so sorry to hear all this, these things are sent to try us!! I hope you've taken this weekend for yourself, you definitely need (and deserve!) the recuperation! I also love that you mention feeding the cats THEN going back to bed - if yours are anything like mine there is no sleeping in the morning until they are properly fed :rotfl:
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    So sorry to hear you have been having such a tough time.
    The banding issue looks promising (fingers crossed) as they seem to be taking the request seriously.
    The house situation sounded awful. Poor you! I hope your duvet weekend does you some good and you emerge into a better tomorrow. Hugs, DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • BettyBones
    BettyBones Posts: 164 Forumite
    Awww.... Ena... that's pants! :( Have another duvet day tomorrow and hopefully things will look a little brighter with the dawn of a new week on Monday :) I popped into my Mum's today and borrowed a muffin tray (I know right... check me out attempting to bake!) and if I could send you a cake to cheer you up, I would. Although I haven't actually made any yet, so I'm sending you a big hug instead :grouphug: x
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ah no - what an absolutely rubbish thing to happen, and it would test the stress levels of anyone. I'm pleased you've just allowed things to happen though and not given yourself a hard time over not going to work, and having days of doing nothing. I really hope that things are on the up for you.
    It's definitely worth asking re your salary. My bestie works for the nhs and she had to drop a band when she changed jobs but she negotiated a higher point on the band (or something) - and she really quickly worked her way up again. So there's definitely scope for it. And as my mam says - shy bairns get no broth.
    Keep being kind to yourself - and give the cats a big cuddle from this crazy cat lady :D
  • Orange_Ena
    Thanks ladies, sorry I've been AWOL. I do appreciate your kind thoughts xx

I'm just going to post all my daily activities to catch me up. Ignore it, it's just so I've got a record in one place!

Saturday 13th May
    * NSD

Sunday 14th May
    * NSD
    * Youg0v survey

Monday 15th
    * £8.55 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * PA survey
    * Youg0v survey

Tuesday 16th May
    * £14.95 in T3sco, for lunch and a box of Kr1spy Kr3m3s as a thank you
    * £30 for fuel
    * 0nep0ll surveys

Wednesday 17th May
    * £9.16 in L1dl
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Youg0v survey

Thursday 18th May
    * NSD
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * P0pulusLive survey

Friday 19th May
    * £9.49! in the c0-op
    * £11 in Chimichangas for a meal, friend bought my dessert as I drove
    * 0nep0ll surveys

Saturday 20th May
    * £25.01 received from TCB, I used to count this as I earned it but sometimes I don't get it or its a different amount so I'm only adding it to my figures once the cold hard cash is in my account!
    * £10.14 in T3sco
    * £37.25 for a huge bag of cat food for little cat
    * 0nep0ll survey
    * 2 Youg0v surveys
    * PA survey
    * VO survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey

Sunday 21st May
    * NSD

Monday 22nd May
    * NSD
    * 0nep0ll survey
    * Youg0v survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st surveys and £2.50 redeemed and transferred to my CHEFS account
    * VO survey

Tuesday 23rd May
    * £30 for fuel
    * £13.50 + £3.69 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Youg0v survey

Wednesday 24th May
    * £20.32 received from PA
    * £5.50 for the toll road
    * £4.90 car park
    * £3.50 for breakfast in M0rrisons
    * £1.45 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey and £2.50 redeemed and transferred to my CHEFS account
    * Youg0v survey
    * 2 PA surveys

Thursday 25th May
    * £6.21 in T3sco
    * £20 for fuel
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * 2 PA surveys plus 25p bonus

Friday 26th May
    * £3.10 in the co-op
    * PA survey
    * Youg0v survey
    * VO survey

Saturday 27th May
    * £41.04 in M0rrisons
    * £4.70 in T3sco
    * £5.60 in B00ts
    * VO survey

Sunday 28th May
    * NSD
    * PA bonus 9p

Monday 29th May
    * NSD
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll survey

Tuesday 30th May
    * £10.31 in M0rrisons
    * £6 in P0undw0rld
    * £2.77 in H0me Barg@ins
    * Youg0v survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * VO survey
    * PA surveys

Wednesday 31st May
    * NSD
    * PA surveys
    * 0nep0ll surveys

Decluttered
    121. a tea towel which doesn't absorb any water. Despite matching my kitchen decor, it does not match my expectations of an effective tea towel so out it goes. And in the bin rather than to the charity shop......I won't inflict that disappointment on anyone else.
    122. 26 magazines, all unread
    123. 3 puzzle books
  • Orange_Ena
    May stats

PA - £32.03....................total YTD £134.39
    Youg0v - 700pts/£7.00..................total YTD £34
    SB - 0.....................total YTD 1107SB
    Pinec0ne - 0....................total YTD £6
    P0pulusLive - £4..................total YTD £37
    VO - £8.50..................total YTD £33.75
    TCB - £25.01................total YTD £26.75
    i-S@y - 0..................total YTD 465pts
    Inb0x£s - 51p..................total YTD £2.31
    Other income - £1.50...................total YTD £54.34
    Roadkill - 0..................total YTD 13p
    0nep0ll - £10.15...................total YTD £45.10
    Opini0n Outp0st - £12.25.......................total YTD £55.95

April total - £100.95
    Year to date - £434.72

Other totals:

• Nati0nwide sweeps - 0..................total YTD 0
    • FD sweeps - 0.................total YTD 0
    • NSD's - 12...............total YTD 57
    • Books read - 0....................total YTD 0
    • DVD's watched - 0....................total YTD 0

DMIC 6/31
    CHEFS account £121.20 :T:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family