PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute over driveway

Options

Comments

• moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    At your living room window, tutting.

LOL I've got better things to do than stand at my window tutting.

I think that ashould long as they just park outside their garage then it shouldn't cause a problem.

My husband has met our new neighbour this morning and said she seems nice. I don't want to fall out with neighbour over petty things.
    Married 09/09/09
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Download BOTH sets of deeds and see what they say.

I'm presuming your fence is the boundary line, and you own the driveway upto that line, but the neighbour has right of way across it.

And the problem being is that if the neighbour parks outside their garage, their car goes beyond the boundary line onto the bit you own, as the parking space is not long enough?

Once you have established that you DO own the driveway up to the fence (and not the neighbour), then I would put in writing to the neighbour that you appreciate that his parking space outside his garage is not long enough to fit a car on, so as a gesture of goodwill, you will allow ONE car to be parked outside the garage, overlapping onto YOUR land.

I would then state that should you find a second car parked, this gesture of goodwill well immediately be revoked, and that you also reserve the right to withdraw this gesture of goodwill at any time.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    I want to thank you all for your replies. It helps to get other people's views. It's made me rethink my view and I think that it would be silly to stop them parking oupside their garage.

I have a tendency due to my mental health to just think in black and white. So it's good to hear other people's views.
    Married 09/09/09
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    When the landlord has been around to the property he has been allowing people to park at the bottom of the drive . So two cars on that bit of drive. This then means that I can't get on to the drive.

I don't want to fall out with neighbours over this and don't want to turn it in to a major thing. Ll seems to think he owns all of the drive.

Even if they did own all the drive they shouldn't be parking in a way that blocks yours.

Once its tenants in there who will presumably care about not falling out with the neighbours and will probably be nice decent people (because most people are) and the landlord isn't coming and going so much you will probably be fine.

Until then, just ask them to move every single time.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP coming round to common sense response.

But still sems resistant to the obvious job.

LOOK AT THE PAPERWORK. FIND OUT WHO OWNS WHAT. CHECK WHO HAS WHAT ADDITIONAL RIGHTS. AND OBLIGATIONS.
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe I have missed sonething but couldn't it be a shared driveway - this would make the most sense although that doesn't mean its true. If it is shared then you can both drive onto it to access your own drives/garages/parking spaces but neither of you own it outright, you both own it and are both responsible for it.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    20170318_105245.jpgfree upload image

This is the original plan
    Is the cross hatched area the driveway being disputed? If so this is outside your boundary.
    Is there a key on that plan explaining what the cross hatched areas are? They appear to be areas where no one should park. If so there may be room for one car parked close to the garage but not two.
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    OP coming round to common sense response.

But still sems resistant to the obvious job.

LOOK AT THE PAPERWORK. FIND OUT WHO OWNS WHAT. CHECK WHO HAS WHAT ADDITIONAL RIGHTS. AND OBLIGATIONS.

I have read both deeds and all it mention is the blue areas on ours as that's where the drains are under ground. Can't see anything about the drive.
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:16PM
    Options
    Is the cross hatched area the driveway being disputed? If so this is outside your boundary.
    Is there a key on that plan explaining what the cross hatched areas are? They appear to be areas where no one should park. If so there may be room for one car parked close to the garage but not two.

I think the crossed hatched area belongs to the house across from us. The bit on the left of the garage is part of the hoyse across from us. There is a bit at the back of their house that sticks out that is right next to the garage. The edge of their garden meets the side of the drive which one think is the hatched area.. The blue bit is about the drains.
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    Now im more confused, downloaded the plan and this is what it shows

Screenshot_2017_03_18_at_12_36_09.pngupload a picture
    Married 09/09/09
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories