Flat roof damage

Hi,

Hope someone can advise.....during storm Doris, the flat roof of our dorma bungalow extension was damaged. We called a local roofer to secure and waterproof to stop any further damage. After contacting our insurance company, they got a claims adjustor to look into things and they arranged for a local company to come out to look at the roof. They came and advised they would need to appoint a scaffolder before they could sort the problem, but this needed to be approved by the loss adjustor first This was, I think, 28 Feb. On 17 March (I had been chasing up regularly in-between with the local company and the claim adjustors) the claim adjustors told me they would send a new assessor round. there was no explanation or reason for this. They turns up yesterday and today the claim adjustors told us they were recommending no payment from the insurers. They stated that although there was a storm which blew the felting off, there was general wear and tear on the roof that contributed.

The roof is 20+ years old and looking on t'interwebnet I can see it's obviously done well lasting that long. But, given the fact the damage was done in a storm, the first assessment suggesting a claim would be successful and really poor communication between everyone and us, can anyone offer any advice or help about escalating this?? Many thanks

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Your issue is your roof and getting compensation/whatever should be secondary.

By your own admission the roof was 20+ years old, and you have not given details on how much this+ is. Numerous flat roofs are poorly constructed, they deteriorate over time and the rule of thumb is to avoid them on house building.

Unless you can show proof that yours was in exceptionally good state of wear and tear then you will get nowhere with the insurance company. You could get an expert report, perhaps from a Chartered Building Surveyor, or a Clerk Of Works, but I sense this is a lost cause. If your roof was sheltered, not exposed to much uv light, well maintained, and well built you could be in with a chance. But overall I suggest you finance proper repairs and consider converting the flat roof to a pitched roof.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would also side with the insurers - A 20yr old flat roof has lasted pretty well and is probably due for replacement.

Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade the insulation in the roof and side walls.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Lasted 20 years? must be very well done or in a sheltered position? Most are advised 10 year lifespan?

Take the opportunity to re felt or perhaps the more modern methods or even get joiner to truss and then tile it??
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure