Fellow Worker Issue

Comments

• sangie595 wrote: »
    Even if there are laws, and actually, the law on this is hazy, you would first have to go down a grievance route.

I would suggest that a bright big smile and telling him that you don't give a flying f**k what his opinion of you is, but he tries it again and he will be explaining assault to HR and the police. If he thought you were a serious threat to him then he'd have stopped. He didn't, so he doesn't. Until you are, you are going to continue being his target.

Thanks. The thought of using that phrase cheers me up no end :)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    h_and_p_uk wrote: »
    Thanks. The thought of using that phrase cheers me up no end :)
    Copyright sangie595! But go for it. You don't need to shout. You don't need to be aggressive. The best threats are issued coldly. And meant! Bullies know their targets. Seriously. They never pick on "the wrong person". You need took make yourself that wrong person.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,373
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Slam your chair backwards at him. Apologise by saying it's an automatic reaction to shock.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Strangely my closest friend in work uses that very same word to describe him :D

I'm only reluctant to go down the complaint route due to this individual's popularity with my fellow workers.

Then if they find it so hilarious, suggest that he does it to them instead. Then they can enjoy the joke together and leave you well out of it.

They probably don't find him hilarious at all, they're just laughing heartily so he picks on you instead of them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • h_and_p_uk wrote: »
    I've tried to tell him that I don't find it funny, and asked him to stop. He retaliated by saying I was being miserable.

Of course you could acquire a clown costume, wait until he leaves work, jump out on him and scare the !!!! out of him. Then when he complains, suggest that he's the one being miserable, as you found it hilarious!!:rotfl:
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've tried to tell him that I don't find it funny, and asked him to stop. He retaliated by saying I was being miserable.

I would have agreed with him and told him not to bother miserable boring people who want to work in work.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:27PM
    If he is indeed shouting down your ear then this is a health and safety issue.

As you work in a call centre your employer should be fully aware of 'Acoustic Shock'.

This is where a loud or high pitched sound is heard down the telephone line and into your ears. This can cause several hearing issues ranging from tinnitus right through to deafness.

Your employer should have a procedure which enables you to report instances of Acoustic Shock.

Whilst this isn't strictly 'Acoustic Shock', shouting directly into your ear can have the same consequences and it can lead to various hearing issues.

If your employer is fully aware of what this idiot is doing and seem happy for him to continue doing so then they are stupid, as it leaves them wide open to an industrial injuries claim, and it leaves him wide open also to being charged with assault should he cause damage to your ears.

I would have a quiet word with your manager. Bring up the issue of Acoustic Shock and explain that what he is doing is very similar.

Alternatively follow the process for reporting acoustic shock and ensure you details exactly what happens, including date, time, witnesses etc.

Once you hand this to your manager etc they will have no choice but to investigate.

Your employer has a duty of care to you whilst you are in work to ensure that you are provided a safe working environment (This not only includes physical safety but also protection from bullying, which this is a form of). It is my opinion that by allowing this idiot to do this they are failing this duty.

One last question. Does he do this whilst you are actively on the phone with customers? If so it's highly unprofessional, and not only will he be shouting into your ears but the microphone on your headset will also pick up the noise.

If this shouting is loud enough then Acoustic Shock will be a factor for the customer and you should report this to management.

If you believe you cannot report this to your own manager as they find these antics to be funny then I suggest you bypass your manager and follow the necessary processes to take this complaint to your managers manager.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm actually male, which probably makes me sound a bit ridiculous. However I'm just someone who wants to just get on with my job in a professional and mature manner.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I asked because employers should step in where sexual harassment is suspected/alleged.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 3:55AM
    Are you allowed drinks at your desk?

If so, I would suggest that as he approaches you, ensure the cup of drink is in your hand (obviously filled to the rim) - preferably hot) and I'm sure the shock of the shouting/poking in ribs could/will direct the contents of the receptacle over the idiot.

On a more serious note, I am surprised that this clown has not been reprimanded - particularly in a call centre environment where customers could hear his stupid party piece. It is unprofessional at best.

Personally, (although I do not condone violence), I would put his lights out.
    dori2o wrote: »
    If he is indeed shouting down your ear then this is a health and safety issue.

I would suggest more of a harassment issue.

There would be no health and safety issue if the actions of this clown was addressed. As with any H&S hazard, eliminating the source of potential of harm is top of the hierarchy of controls - in this case, remove the idiot - problem solved!
  • ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I asked because employers should step in where sexual harassment is suspected/alleged.

No offence taken :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport