Urgent Help Required Boiler Fitter

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have been in contact with the boiler fitter but still have no date as to when the work will be completed. I'm no expert in plumbing and heating and not sure if the work is of good a standard but it should never take this long for simple straight swap of boilers. I feel that I can no longer trust him for the reasons provided. I'm considering contacting Gas Safe later on today.
    What make of boiler is it?
  • neilmcl
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Call the engineer and ask him exactly what the problem is, and what steps he is taking to resolve it. Ask when he will be back at your property, and if there is a delay ask why. Then come back to us with this information and we'll advise further.
    ^This. You need to be firm.
  • Hi, Bogalot, when I had the original quote I was told it would take 1 day because it was a straight forward swop. I realise that complications can arise but he did not seem capable of resolving the electrical wiring issues.
    I did phone him several time yesterday because he did not turn up but he did not answer any calls. He did respond to one email that I sent to him last night, stating that he could not obtain an electrician. I replied to him and said the he must find a qualified electrician to complete the work and asked when the work could be completed. He has not responded to my email. If he will not answer his phone, the only other to contact him is by email.

Many thanks
  • Hi, neilmcl, the boiler is a Vaillant Ectoctech 418.

Thanks
  • neilmcl
    Hi, neilmcl, the boiler is a Vaillant Ectoctech 418.

Thanks
    Well if all else fails it may be worth contacting Valient to see if they could send someone out to fix the issue, then deduct any cost from the amount you eventually handover to the plumber.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Wow!! Already seeking legal advice after only two days delay - and those two days being a Saturday and Sunday.

Amazing.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I'm not sure any of that's relevant given that the plumbers saying there's an electrical problem with the boiler. Also, not all systems will require or are appropriate to have a power flush.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the need for a powerflush but most boiler manufacturers will not guarantee their products if any contaminates get into the heat exchanger, so most installers will use a powerflush to ensure that the system is clean.

I'd also feel it's extremely important to ask if the the install went OK, if the engineer can't diagnose an electrical fault then I'd start to wonder about his competence.
  • When the engineer did not turn up I called once and because I had no response I called once again later. I did not continually pester him at all.
    As Zandoni pointed out if the engineer can't diagnose an electrical fault then I'm left wondering about his competence myself. The system has been power flushed because some boiler manufacturers insist open this otherwise the guarantee may become void. I'm going to ask Gas Safe to send out an independent engineer to check that all work has been carried out to the required standard. Not willing to put my family at risk.

Thanks to all
  • neilmcl
    edited 17 October 2016 at 3:08PM
    Zandoni wrote: »
    I'm sorry that you don't understand the need for a powerflush but most boiler manufacturers will not guarantee their products if any contaminates get into the heat exchanger, so most installers will use a powerflush to ensure that the system is clean.

I'd also feel it's extremely important to ask if the the install went OK, if the engineer can't diagnose an electrical fault then I'd start to wonder about his competence.
    Clearly you're not a plumber/central heating engineer. "Most" competent installers will not powerflush as a matter of course, what they will do is see if it's necessary or indeed appropriate to do so. One of the quickest ways to burst and destroy old CH pipework is to power flush when the existing system can't handle it. In particular when there is alternative methods to clean out the system.

Also, to your 2nd point. The installer is a plumber/heating engineer not an electrician. Whilst he can clearly see there's an electrical issue, he's unlikely to be skilled and more importantly qualified to rectify it.

It's a bit rich accusing others of not understanding something when you clearly have next to no knowledge yourself.
  • I was wondering if, neilmcl or Zandoni are either of you gas engineers because you obviously have different views on the need for a system power flush.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport