Our new TalkTalk haggling guide- please share your feedback

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Has anyone else had any success with this tactic. We are also looking into moving from TalkTalk, customer service is terrible and have previously conned my partner into a contract extension :(
    :money:- ET Phone Home.....
  • I rang talk talk a couple of weeks ago as my essentials broadband with medium fibre was out of contract this month (May 16), I provided details of the excellent offer from EE that effectively made the cost £27 pm for 18 months., I told talk talk if they could match the deal I would stay. The best they could come up with after consulting their manager was half price bb for 6 months on a 18 month contract. It worked out at something like £1.50 pm discount on a current £32.50 bill. Needless to say I told them where to stick it. EE connects tomorrow 😀
  • Gigabit
    Gigabit Posts: 13 Forumite
    I love haggling with TalkTalk, I always get excellent deals.

I managed to get 76Mbps broadband, anytime calls, line rental for £24.35 a month for 12 months, which was less than I was paying for standard broadband (I was paying around £29 a month). I was able to get this on a 12 month contract too, rather than the standard 18 months.

This deal is now coming to an end so it's time to haggle again!
  • AlecSp
    AlecSp Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    After a couple of price increases and my prepaid line rental expiring, I was disappointed to discover that I was paying just over £40 pcm for phone and fibre broadband with TalkTalk.

Spotted the SSE £21 for 18 months offer and called TalkTalk to get them to match it. Their man suggested that the SSE offer probably wasn't a genuine one, but if it was to take it as they couldn't match it.

OK, so I'm now switching over to SSE - farewell TalkTalk! Just need to remember to renegotiate/switch before the 18 months is up, as the free broadband bit reverts to £35, which would make the whole package £56 pcm!
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    I have said befofe it seems TALK TALK are not interested in haggling, the only way to get a deal is to leave for a year.

To be honest I will never go back to them, here are just a few reasons

Sharing my data without my authority and refusing to honour data protection act

Also allowing themeselves to be hacked

Telling lies on website about FREE moving charge (they do not honour deal and force you to sign up for 18m a full retail).

Charging customers at full retail as if they were continuing even when they cancel, then admitting on this site that is computer system and if you do not dispute it they will not refund, even then refund takes 60 days.

Rude and obnoxious staff who insult you, speak down to you, read scripts endlessly.

Structure contracts so they expire at different times so you lose money on either Broadband or Phone.

Offer pathetic compensation for losing data with free offers that cost you money if you do not cancel them.

Call centres given incentives to rip people off, a dozen people on this forum have told how they were signed up for new contracts without giving permission, it then takes months to undue the mess they create.

Overall I think the culture of TalkTalk has changed, it is not a company I would recommend or want to stay with.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've just had a good deal with TT after my year's discount ran out.

I had had a scam call that morning, rang to report it and said I was so fed up that I wanted to leave as soon as able, ie November.

Transfer to loyalty section and a long discussion on web chat resulted in an immediate start in a new contract at £27 for the whole 18 months.

Anytime, international calls and TV. Quite happy.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • DavidP24
    did that include line rental?
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, line rental included. Everything.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • DavidP24
    Thanks

Good to hear that they are finally deciding to give decent prices away to loyal customers, can you clarify the following

Call Centre Location - India - Philipines or South Africa

What were you paying before deal
    Deal ended in November, was that 18m or 12m
    Did you speak to 1 person or 2
    Were you put through to complaints team?

I still would not deal with TalkTalk until they STOP SHARING customer data with Credit Ref agencies on a monthly basis to make their credit checking cheaper.

Sky do NOT do this, they confirm ID with a simple debit card charge

Plusnet do not do this

I have a lot of wounds to heal with TalkTalk

Is unlikely I will stay with sky beyond a year and will need a 12m gap before I sign up with them again.

I am prepared to go cold turkey on broadband, using library and MiFi while I wait for the right deal.

I currently share my BB with 4 other neighbours (for free) I use a router with family safety on it to protect myself from them accessing anything dodgy.

When I move I may charge a bit to offset my costs or I may just enjoy the reciprocity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure