MSE News: Water bills to be added to credit reports

"Paying water bills on time could help you get a credit card or mortgage, as Yorkshire Water accounts will be tracked..."
Read the full story:

Water bills to be added to credit reports

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Well even if this comes in for the rest of the country, Experian can't seem to find half of the accounts at my address so lenders wouldn't see it anyway
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,101
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do they disclose the amount of the bills/payments as well?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    zerog wrote: »
    Well even if this comes in for the rest of the country, Experian can't seem to find half of the accounts at my address so lenders wouldn't see it anyway

Zerog

If your report is still incomplete please drop us a line and we'll investigate for you - customerrelations@uk.experian.com

Thanks
    James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2013 at 5:10PM
    Does not apply to Scotland, as water charges are billed via Council Tax and are not separate. As for for helping Experian make their database more accurate - that's a laugh. Perhaps if they paid for your executive input it might be a consideration, but for free?

C'mon!

On a different topic - the DPA requires consumers to give 'informed consent' to allow a firm share your financial dealings with any CRA. This means the utilities must seek the approval of their customer. You are not forced or obliged to agree to let them do this, so since the usual recourse is for the firm to decline giving you a service as they insist on compliance.

But water? This is a human right - what company is going to cut someone off because the refuse to share their details with a CRA? This could be fun!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »

On a different topic - the DPA requires consumers to give 'informed consent' to allow a firm share your financial dealings with any CRA. This means the utilities must seek the approval of their customer. You are not forced or obliged to agree to let them do this, so since the usual recourse is for the firm to decline giving you a service as they insist on compliance.

I hope you are correct. However that statement is in conflict with this in the OP's article.
    Experian has been adding accounts to its database over the past few weeks, with all five million Yorkshire customers now on its system.

Perhaps the Experian rep could comment.
    Do they disclose the amount of the bills/payments as well?

wakeupalarm

For each month, you can expect to see details of any payment due along with any outstanding balance, plus a status code to show whether any previous payments are still outstanding.

James Jones
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Buzby

Customer agreement is obtained through a privacy notice at the outset of the relationship, which is an annual contract. The data sharing is not optional but required by the supplier in order to provide the service. We have worked with the regulators and consumer organisations to agree how this should be done for water accounts in a fair and consistent manner, so it is certainly compliant.

James Jones

• mcbob_2
    mcbob_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2013 at 12:29PM
    The data sharing is not optional but required by the supplier in order to provide the service
    So if I refuse to agree to this vital data sharing, the water company can't complete it's service?

Can someone still be supplied water if they refuse to do this?

I for see people being cut off or denied access to water due to adverse credit...or being forced into paying punitive rates... either way it's bad news for the consumer.

I have plenty of bank accounts/credit cards you already report on, which is fine as they are credit agreements - so why expand into an area which is patently NOT CREDIT.

This is nothing more than revenue making opportunity for Experian - yet another data land grab. When will it stop? Medical records? Fingerprints? DNA?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 18 February 2013 at 6:57PM
    Buzby

Customer agreement is obtained through a privacy notice at the outset of the relationship, which is an annual contract. The data sharing is not optional but required by the supplier in order to provide the service. We have worked with the regulators and consumer organisations to agree how this should be done for water accounts in a fair and consistent manner, so it is certainly compliant.

James Jones

Customer's data might be required by the Water Company; but on what grounds should they share that, for every customer, with a commercial organisation like Experian?

It is not as if customers have any choice who supplies their water and sewerage services.

I am not with Yorkshire, but it is inevitable that some customers will strongly object and take the matter further. The Water companies don't give credit.

If your tentacles spread to other water companies - you will have some serious problems with customers going to law on this issue.

This will run and run.
  • What purpose does this serve? Water companies do not provide credit to the public...they provide a basic human right (albeit an expensive one).......access to clean water. Its not like you can go to another provider like with gas or electricity. Water companies are legally prohibited from cutting off your domestic water supply no matter what state your account with them is in.

This just stinks of banks covertly teaming up with credit reference agencies to get even more data on customers affairs and sticking their noses into things that don't concern them....after all, the only organizations that this data would be of any benefit to are the banks. What next....asking pub landlords to provide data on people who run up tabs behind the bar??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure