Petrol prices, fill up in Dover or Calais?

2»

Comments

• I went to France on Thursday last week for some wine. to my shock diesel was 1.31 euro, petrol was 1.50 euro. In the past i have always taken the tank empty this time i was no better off. hope that helps.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh my god. - That's a huge suprise.

While I was growing up my parents and I went camping to France all the time, they would always fill up with fuel before getting on ferry on the way home. I thought that the fuel cost about 1/2 the price over in france because they don't pay as much tax on it (I thought the tax was collected by toll booths instead)..

I've just registered onto this forum specifically to ask about the logistics, legality and feasability of driving to france and on the way home from our campign trip, filling up the tank with fuel and also filling up a 20ltr (or maybe 1-2 5ltr) fuel can.

However - from a quick glance it seems that the fuel is the same sort of price, (possibly more after factoring in exchange rates) and ferries have limits on the amount of fuel you can bring over in a jerry can.

Also, someone above said that you can't 'fill your car to the brim' with fuel. - Are you refering to simply filling the tank to the brim? - surely they can't enforce such a silly rule as that?

Fuel prices have fluctuated due to the exchange rates at various times, i remember going camping with the boys, maybe 15 years ago and petrol was horrendously priced in France, 1.5 times the price here but had no choice but to fill up as had almost run out but it hurt at the time! then it swung in our favour, vastly for diesel and now it seems to be roughly the same.

Not really a "silly rule" as a safety consideration, if 600 cars all filled up to the brim near the port, then encountered a rough crossing, that could lead to an awful lot of fuel slopping around on the car deck, which could lead to a fire hazard and a very slippery surface. I have never seen tem check fuel tank levels but can see why they would rather you didn't top it right up.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went to France on Thursday last week for some wine. to my shock diesel was 1.31 euro, petrol was 1.50 euro. In the past i have always taken the tank empty this time i was no better off. hope that helps.

As recently as 2007 you could get €1.50/£1 so diesel would have been around 90p and petrol £1 at those rates but with the £ being weak, or the Euro strong whichever it is, those sort of prices are not likely to return for some time, if ever.
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    As someone said above diesel can be where the better saving can be had. I would say 10-15% is a decent saving on a tank of diesel?

Same rules apply as in UK get off the autoroute and out of major cities for best savings
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    pompeyrich wrote: »

Not really a "silly rule" as a safety consideration, if 600 cars all filled up to the brim near the port, then encountered a rough crossing, that could lead to an awful lot of fuel slopping around on the car deck, which could lead to a fire hazard and a very slippery surface. I have never seen tem check fuel tank levels but can see why they would rather you didn't top it right up.

Ah yes, that would make sense really. I've had some rough crossings and see your point (last one was a f9). I've got the what you can/can't leaflet around somewhere, but not sure why I put it :o
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • Thanks for all your help - Just to clarify, when I mentioned that it was a silly rule what I meant was that it was silly to try and enforce it.

"Sorry - You can't come on the boat - Pour away 1/2 a tank of fuel into that container over there and we'll let you on"...
  • Kingsgraphic
    Kingsgraphic Posts: 11 Forumite
    As of May 2012 fuel prices at the Carrefour Cite Europe in Calais are around £1.30 a litre (1.569 Euro) for unleaded against £1.37 in Dover. It pays to use your credit card, even allowing for the 3% transaction fee, rather than pay cash, unless you have got an unusual deal on your currency!:). As I write the Euro is 1.213 to the pound.
  • http://www.prix-carburants.economie.gouv.fr/

and diesel is 1.337 Euro in Calais compared to £1.41 in Dover.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    As of May 2012 fuel prices at the Carrefour Cite Europe in Calais are around £1.30 a litre (1.569 Euro) for unleaded against £1.37 in Dover. It pays to use your credit card, even allowing for the 3% transaction fee, rather than pay cash, unless you have got an unusual deal on your currency!:). As I write the Euro is 1.213 to the pound.

Or (20.30 BST) a sliver under 1.25 to the £ if you have a Metro Bank card.
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    Thanks for the update :) I may go over next month
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing