Older cat - possible to get a kitten

Hi all

I have a lovely female cat who has just turned 10.

She has always lived with me and my parents & brothers as the only pet.

I am moving into my own place soon and as she is my cat of course taking her with me.

I'd love to get another once she is settled in but unsure how she will react?

I think a kitten would be better than an adult rescue? As she would be bigger and able to be the dominant cat... is this a likely story or will the kitten terrorise her :eek:

Do you think that I should just not get one as much as I'd love to?

It's so hard :( as I don't want to upset existing cat!

She has encountered other cats as neighbours have some and she either ignores them or occasionally have seen her 'square up' to one of them :rotfl:

Any advice please

Thanks

Comments

• SavingPennies_2
    SavingPennies_2 Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2014 at 11:02AM
    I only have 1 cat so have no experience of this, although I've considered doing the same. If you get a kitten or young cat from a rescue they will agree to let you have it for a trial of a few weeks and if they don't get along they will have it back.
  • That's quite interesting to know!

Although I do think I'd become so attached in those few weeks I wouldn't want to give it back! :)
  • I know that's what worries me too! But both RSPCA and Cats Protection said they would do this, as did the independent rescue centre where I got my original cat from.
  • Gelly123
    Gelly123 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2014 at 11:55AM
    Hi alice_kate

We did something similar 5 years ago - had a 6 year old female black and white cat and we wanted to get another one (husband's way of combatting my broodiness but he loves cats too!).

We got a young male tabby kitten as we thought the same as you, young cat could be dominated by older cat - she wasn't impressed and proceeded to batter his head like a tennis ball on the ground and hissed at him lots (had never heard her hiss before). She'd been an only cat for 6 years and was very much "my" cat. The kitten clearly adored her and wanted to spend lots of time with her and play which she wasn't impressed with.

Over time, things have mellowed - she's now 11 and he's 5 next week - he still loves to play and she tolerates him but they'll never be best of friends unfortunately.

We'll always have cats and in the long and distant future when our female cat has passed on, we'll get a pair of young cats so the keep each other company.

I've never heard of local rescue centres doing trials but think it's a wonderful idea.

Have added a picture my husband took of the pair of them a couple of weeks ago - the closest we have ever seen them, he's trying to get close but she's just not interested! :rotfl:
    p.s. - she is a normal sized cat (approx. 4kgs) but he's huge at over 6.4kgs!

125m.jpg

Hope this helps a little.
    Gelly
    x
    Married Sept '09, Me - 38, OH - 40, TTC since Nov '12
    4 previous MC's, 6 babies lost so far :A
    The proudest mummy - July 2016 xxx
  • Iain_L
    Iain_L Posts: 151 Forumite
    Not sure that I'd get a kitten, as it would always be wanting to play, but a young adult cat may not have exhibit the same manic behaviour.

I don't know how many rescues can afford to do a trial homing; within a few short hours of our local CP branch homing a cat, there is a new one in - they always have a waiting list for cats to come into care.

Iain
  • I echo the above, I got a 2-3 year old instead of a kitten from rescue. Everyone wants kittens but not cats which is silly because kittens grow up fast. With a cat the rescue was able to tell me what he was like because I wanted one that got on well with other cats.
    My other cat is 13 and is very grumpy and hes been o.k with her and has only had a go at her once in 9 months. Hes terrified of her as is everyone elce!
  • Regaring the trial thing, I guess what they meant is they would be prepared to take the cat back if they really don't get along, as opposed to the alterative of it potentially being abandoned. Not that I'm saying you would abandon it I'm just speaking in general terms. Obviously they hope you will keep it! I'm just speaking from the experience of the people I spoke to as I have enquired about getting another cat but expressed the same concerns that they would hate each other, and if that was the case my current cat would have to come first.

Oh and they also said a young cat is better than a kitten, as kittens can be pretty annoying for a mature cat! Plus as already said above kittens always get rehomed anyway cos most people want them.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    My son adopted two middle aged cats that came as a pair from the same family.

They didn't get on. One was timid and one was a bully. They did fight and had to be watched when together which wasn't often as they rarely stayed in the same room.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have to say that if she's lived in the same house for ten years then it would be far less unsettling for her to remain there. It's quite a jump for a middle aged cat to go from the only home she's ever known, with 4/5 "owners" to being on her own in a strange place and you most likely out at work all day. That's without the complication of having to share with a new kitten or cat.

I think the new animal is the least of your worries tbh, cats are fairly gregarious by nature and if you introduce a younger, smaller cat to "her" territory she'll probably accept it quickly enough. My suggestion is for a girl kitten btw, less potential dominance issues that way. I'd go for at least six months, young enough to still be a kitten but over the most manic stage. It will also help if you're out all day, you can hardly keep them separated in different rooms all the time you're not there and tiny kittens can get themselves into trouble getting stuck or climbing things they can't get down. A six month old is mature enough to be allowed out the cat flap.
    Val.
  • valk_scot wrote: »
    I have to say that if she's lived in the same house for ten years then it would be far less unsettling for her to remain there. It's quite a jump for a middle aged cat to go from the only home she's ever known, with 4/5 "owners" to being on her own in a strange place and you most likely out at work all day. That's without the complication of having to share with a new kitten or cat.

I think the new animal is the least of your worries tbh, cats are fairly gregarious by nature

I agree you should probably leave your 10yr old cat where she is, and just be a visiting "parent". Perhaps you could get a young rescue cat around a year old, or even two if you must.

I don't agree that cats are gregarious, they are not naturally pack animals but solitary creatures. If they are laid back cats they may tolerate each other but very often having more than one cat means fights and squabbles unless you have enough room for them not to encounter each other much. We had two litter mates from kittens who played and slept together as kittens but disliked each other as adults.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure