TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DavidP24 - I think that in actual fact we agree in principle but disagree on the price point. That is really the only bit I disagree with you on.

and, not that it matters, but I don't watch repeats of border force anymore than I watch Eastenders (which is also tripe).
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Depending on the detail of implementation, the price-point could vary considerably (and is one way to smooth out the "bumps" for the BBC as it goes through the transition that is required).

The cost of BBC TV is around £8 per month. The rest goes on Radio and Online content.

So, it's not unthinkable to map out the 5 year transition with an £8 basic subscription as the end target, taking the equivalent of £4 per month from industry levy and Government sources.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm even more glad that I don't pay the TVL after details of the insane BBC salaries were made public.

It's all very well saying BBC content is good value for money, well it could be even better value if they weren't paying £100K+ for a few hours work.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can someone give me a simple answer: we are radio addicts, a radio in every room. We have an old TV in the garage, used in the past when OH was repairing the car. If someone from the licensing agency visited, they would see this TV, but no-one watches it. OH listens to music on the Sonos when he is working.

So, do we have to let the authorities into our house to prove that we don't have a TV, or can we tell them to please go away?
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You are perfectly entitled to refuse them access.

But it isn't owning a TV that requires a license, it's the watching of Live TV (or iPlayer). I have 3 TVs in my house, all of which are connected to the mains. But none has the capability of receiving a TV signal (no aerial) and I've blocked the iPlayer site on my router so that my one Smart TV can't "accidentally" be used to access it, and that means I don't require (or have) a license. I use them to watch DVDs...
    Cheryl
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Interestingly I am getting TVL letters at my old address and have been for about 6 months, considering I don't have Sky or Virgin (only broadband) I wonder if they have just checked the electorial roll and just sent letters out.

If so thats a terrible way to do things, and im thinking if they pester the new tenant (my friend) who gets confused easily they may get a "confession" that hes me and watching tv despite him only owning a hdmi monitor for his computer and no tv in house (unless they claim the monitor is a tv)

I always remember years ago just before I moved to current town TVL coming round a few days after I moved in and I let them in knowing I had nothing to hide and they gave me 30 days to "get a license"

I knew I didn't need one so just let it slide and he knocked on my door a month later with a friend (so a witness) so I let them in and when I let him in and he asked why I didn't have a license I said "I don't need one" and when he enquired why I said "Well my tv is only used for my pc and dvds"

Didn't realise at the time but thinking back his "friend" vanished into the hall at this point (which is next to my bedroom where I had a tv there too) and the one in living room asked to inspect my tv so I let him but he couldn't move it as it was a old fashioned one weighing like 6 stone!

He decided to just "let me off" and mark property as not needing one but would be back 6 months later.

I moved a few months later anyway so never saw him again.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Why would you let them in to check your equipment. They are nothing more than salesmen - they have no authority to demand access into your property no more than I do.

Nothing to hide - still doesn't mean they are coming in.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Beenie wrote: »
    So, do we have to let the authorities into our house to prove that we don't have a TV, or can we tell them to please go away?

Which ever you do, it won't stop the endless stream of harassing letters. Letting them in and showing them round might give you some respite for a few months. But they have no legal authority to enter and conduct a search (unless they have a warrant from the courts).

I have had one visit in the last four years, and declined to answer the guy's questions. When he asked to come in, he got a blunt refusal on health & safety grounds as well as lacking suitable protective clothing. The letters still come each month - I don't bother opening them now, and when the pile is big enough, I'll box them up and send them back (at their expense).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've recently moved into a new flat and have just recieved one of the delightful Threatograms from TV licensing.
    Apparently someone will visit the property on a particular date, but then admits that it may be on that date or possibly later, we're not sure. Along with an inkjet printed stamp & signature saying "Enforcement Officer Visit Approved". Looks very professional and official (for a 5 year old on photoshop)

Not only is it factually / lawfully incorrect, stating that :
    "Any programme you download or watch that is not being shown as live TV. On demand includes catch up TV. These programmes can be accessed on a website or through an app on a smart TV, digital box or any other device. On demand can also include exclusive programmes that are only available online"

It would make people feel that if they watch TV exclusively on catchup sites or subscription based services of a non-BBC related nature they'd still have to get the licence, which is not the case.

I am also miffed that if someone can't afford the lump sum of £147 and doesn't want to set a DD they will get penalised heavily:
    If you don’t want to set up a Direct Debit, you may want to consider paying using a TV Licensing Payment Card. You can use this card to spread the cost of your colour TV Licence by making weekly or monthly payments, with weekly payments costing £6 per week

So should you pay this way for a full year thats £312. They manage to screw another £165 out of you by "helping you spread the cost". Yeah, real helpful there.

I don't think I will be paying the TV licence as I don't watch anything live. However I would like access to certain programmes through the iPlayer but I'd prefer it if I could pay just for the contents I want (like Netflix), as I do like the variety of documentaries and arts programmes (and Dr Who!) that the BBC produces.
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 August 2017 at 6:49PM
    Fonque wrote: »
    I've recently moved into a new flat and have just recieved one of the delightful Threatograms from TV licensing.
    Apparently someone will visit the property on a particular date, but then admits that it may be on that date or possibly later, we're not sure. Along with an inkjet printed stamp & signature saying "Enforcement Officer Visit Approved". Looks very professional and official (for a 5 year old on photoshop)

Not only is it factually / lawfully incorrect, stating that :
    "Any programme you download or watch that is not being shown as live TV. On demand includes catch up TV. These programmes can be accessed on a website or through an app on a smart TV, digital box or any other device. On demand can also include exclusive programmes that are only available online"

It would make people feel that if they watch TV exclusively on catchup sites or subscription based services of a non-BBC related nature they'd still have to get the licence, which is not the case.
    This is what they do. It's a national disgrace.

I find it implausible that one of the wealthiest communication organisations in the World seems to be unable to consistently hit an accurate, lawful and respectful tone.
    I am also miffed that if someone can't afford the lump sum of £147 and doesn't want to set a DD they will get penalised heavily:
    If you don’t want to set up a Direct Debit, you may want to consider paying using a TV Licensing Payment Card. You can use this card to spread the cost of your colour TV Licence by making weekly or monthly payments, with weekly payments costing £6 per week

So should you pay this way for a full year thats £312. They manage to screw another £165 out of you by "helping you spread the cost". Yeah, real helpful there.
    It's not quite as bad as it sounds. The pre-payment schemes require that you pay for your first annual Licence over a period of 6 months. You do pay double, but you have double the benefit. At the end of your Licence (maybe 20 years hence) you get the money back.
    I don't think I will be paying the TV licence as I don't watch anything live. However I would like access to certain programmes through the iPlayer but I'd prefer it if I could pay just for the contents I want (like Netflix), as I do like the variety of documentaries and arts programmes (and Dr Who!) that the BBC produces.
    I've just signed up for Netflix as a legally Licence-free household. I was impressed from the outset with the sheer quantity and quality of the content available. Netflix seem to be adding impressive new content constantly (unlike Now TV), although it does all seem a little daunting, and I have started watching a number of things before deciding that they are "not for me".

In particular, there are a large number of the feature-length documentaries that the US independents do so well. There's also Doctor Who (though I never watched that, so don't know how far behind it is).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback