Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Went to Waitrose this morning, and indeed, a voucher was waiting for me at the customer service desk. They are hereby formally forgiven :):):)

I focussed on storecupboard stuff with my 20% discount for mywaitrose membership: so 9 toilet rolls, nice quality, were £3, which is as cheap as any supermarket, and roasted cashew nuts (which I nibble in place of a main protein with my main meal), dishwasher tablets, teabags, and a bottle of wine for our games evening next month. Bill was 23.50 or so, reduced to £18-something, plus a free cuppa tea, less voucher - the money I actually paid over came to £3.80, something like that.

V pleased :)

Also bought my rail ticket for next week - Advance tickets were about £60 when I first checked, so I've stayed with Off Peak for the flexibility, only £8 more. Between the trickiness of the situation on Merseyside, and the awfulness of the illness in Norfolk, I need that flexibility - might need to do a partial refund and drive to Norfolk from Merseyside, for instance.

Otherwise, I've done nothing at all, its too hot - oh, except yougov polls, I'm now on 4780, only 220 more points needed :j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Ha ha you are so clever and funny KC.

Send me your self seeded Alchemilla!!
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 June 2017 at 4:37PM
    Hi KC!

Replying from a couple of days ago about the cleaning :eek: rota...

...many moons ago, I found a couple of great lists on t'internet...

Kitchen is this one, but to be fair, in our house some of them (like No. 7) are prefaced with "While I'm at work today could you please..." - he who is retired gets to do the bulk of the housework these days but often needs prompting...;):D

I have a similar one for bathroom, but can't seem to find it atm - this one is very similar - you get the gist - little and often seems to be the trick to not being overwhelmed - with a focus on kitchen and bathroom which need to be tended to every day!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Oh to be nearly at payout on You Gov :)
    WEll done.
    I have stops and starts.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    edited 17 June 2017 at 5:54PM
    Ha ha you are so clever and funny KC.
    :o Fank you :j
    Send me your self seeded Alchemilla!!
    I will, if you want, no probs - the divvel is to *stop* them seeding, they lurve my soil. Won't be till after I get back from bruv visit though :)
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Hi KC!

Replying from a couple of days ago about the cleaning :eek: rota...

...many moons ago, I found a couple of great lists on t'internet...

Kitchen is this one, but to be fair, in our house some of them (like No. 7) are prefaced with "While I'm at work today could you please..." - he who is retired gets to do the bulk of the housework these days but often needs prompting...;):D

I have a similar one for bathroom, but can't seem to find it atm - this one is very similar - you get the gist - little and often seems to be the trick to not being overwhelmed - with a focus on kitchen and bathroom which need to be tended to every day!
    Hiya :wave:

That kitchen one is interesting! I have to tell you, some things (wiping down the walls :eek:) would take a lot longer than 20 minutes! But turnabout is fair play, some would take less - cleaning the cleaning tools, frinstance :rotfl: Thank you for that!
    beanielou wrote: »
    Oh to be nearly at payout on You Gov :)
    WEll done. I have stops and starts.
    I know, I know ... I think it's my third, unbelievably. I go in fits and starts too, but if I *can* bear to do them when I get them, its a good thing. There was a huge political one, something like 150 points, and that brought me on a long way.

Plus, of course, I don't earn anything, so its all mine, I tell you, mine, hahahahaha :D

ETA - just looked at the bathroom thing, now *thats* my kind of list, 5 minutes a day, yay!
    Save
  • Not really I don't think they'd survive the journey.x
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    This is all I can manage:
    Almost daily - sweep with carpet brush thing, keep sink shining.
    Weekly - wipe bathroom surfaces, do all washing and put away.

Week 1 - fairly deep clean of bathrooms
    Week 2 - proper Hoover and mop, dust whole house
    Week3 - change beds clean glass

I know people might think I'm scummy but I'm being honest, this is all I can mange, and the house always looks ok and we always have clean clothes. I don't iron!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Kitchen & bathrooms are what I strive to keep on top of...

The rest of the house is a constant work in progress... ;)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Thanks for that! Earthgirl, I don't think you're at all scummy - this is real life, not adverts. We're not toiling in the fields, we don't have earth floors, seems realistic to me. Interesting to have a 3 week cycle. I do want to remember to sweep the floors every week (mostly vinyl flooring in my house), so weeks 1 - 3 might be:
    - bathroom and 2nd toilet
    - kitchen
    - bedroom (dusting and changing bed, basically).

Interesting! RT, I am *so* with you on the work in progress thing ... I always think I'm about there with the backlog of spring cleaning and getting the garden straight, and then I look at it and think ... erm, no :p

SHS - say the word and I'll try :)

Flexible rail ticket turns out to have been necessary - family issue means I can't travel when I planned, we'll have to see what happens. Hey ho.

So I did 20 mins out in the garden, once the worst of the heat had gone, nothing much, just enough to let me tell myself I'm still a gardener :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    I've had a proper financial admin morning!

1. paid visa cc
    2. paid mastercard cc
    3. paid French management company, will have to check them online every month, thats the 2nd "fine" for non payment of an invoice :o which is extremely daft of me.
    4. opened post - must do this weekly from now on :o
    5. finally opened the post office saver, and broke open the post office isa piggy bank, so they'll send that money to my account, and I'll send it back to them to *another* account. Sigh ...
    6. tidied up my regular saver with hsbc :rotfl: I transferred the final amount too soon, there was a penny interest leftover in there :rotfl: so I pulled that out :rotfl:

Opening the post, there's two issues:
    - my energy deal is going to run out at the end of July. I need to hop online and see what the situation is, tho I have a nasty feeling they haven't been charging me both parts of the dual fuel debits, so I may have a chunk to pay. Thats okay, I'll have used it, after all!
    - Friends Life are merging with Aviva in full, and thats going to take me well over the "small pension" level of £30k. I don't know what the implications are of that, but I know there are *some*. October? I'd better get my act together ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport