Car Impounded - what now?

2»

Comments

• ~Daisy_81~
    ~Daisy_81~ Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    And if they will get it paid for a released what's the best way of getting it back here and the cheapest please as well?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ~Daisy_81~ wrote: »
    And if they will get it paid for a released what's the best way of getting it back here and the cheapest please as well?
    If it's undriveable, then it'll need to be transported. With the rise of eBay, there are many transport firms operating, and rates have plummetted. Shiply is another good way to get quotes.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've read that the car is sometimes returned to the finance company. The car is insured yes, it was an honest mistake regarding the tax as I said the owner has been saving up to get it fixed. They thought off road meant not driving it. And I said when they clamped it no notice was put on the car or leaflet as should be so we didn't know or would have got the clamp taken off right away.
    Someone said they think the car is worth around £4000, and there's still a few thousand to pay on the finance, what would you do? The owner is distraught and ready to wash their hands of the lot because they're so down.

I'm sorry but your friend has no excuse. If she filled out a SORN form, it would have had a warning saying that the declaration she is making means:
    "that the vehicle will not be parked or used on a road from the date given".

I can't check the exact wording of the warning online but one is definitely given - I had to declare a relatives car SORN at the end of last year and there was definitely a warning given that you should only use the service if the vehicle is not being kept or used on the road.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid its an expensive lesson in why you should read important things like that properly.

I'd also check the terms of her insurance - some insurers will have a clause basically making your insurance null & void if the car is SORN'd/doesn't have road tax/doesn't have a valid MOT.

Not sure if it would make it any better or worse for her but even if they did give a warning before towing - she wouldn't have been able to drive it and would have needed to pay for a recovery vehicle.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presuming as well that a if it was parked in a private companies car park is off road?

If you get it delivered to the garage doing the work then you should be fine, as long as they have a private yard or somewhere to store it. Phone them to double check though.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    What now?

1. Pay the fine, clamping fees and storage/impound charges.

2. Arrange and pay for recovery of the vehicle to wherever your friend has arranged to keep the vehicle.

3. Arrange and pay for recovery of vehicle to the repairing garage.

4. Pay for the car to be repaired and MOTed.

5. Tax the car.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    6. Sell it
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sorry but your friend has no excuse. If she filled out a SORN form, it would have had a warning saying that the declaration she is making means:
    "that the vehicle will not be parked or used on a road from the date given".

I can't check the exact wording of the warning online but one is definitely given -

The warning given on the online or paper form is almost identical to that which you have quoted with only one word missing.
    That the vehicle will not be used or parked on a road from the date given above.
    • That you have checked the information provided on this form and that you believe it is correct.
    Note: Making a false declaration is an offence
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport