Thermostat Help

Hi Guys,

I need a new thermosat for my house; currently have it downstairs where it is always warm but the problem is when we go to bed at night and it is upstairs that gets cold; if that makes sense.

My brother was saying to place the thermo in the hall way upstirs might be better but he also mentioned there are new themo out that that are wireless and can do "zonal heating"

Anyone had any experiance or comments .....

Comments

• Do your radiators have TRVs on?

If so, turn your room stat up a degree or two until upstairs is a comfortable temperature then turn the downstairs TRVs down to maintain a comfortable level downstairs (upstairs TRVs should start on max and then adjusted if necessary).
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2016 at 8:23AM
    rfowler wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I need a new thermosat for my house; currently have it downstairs where it is always warm but the problem is when we go to bed at night and it is upstairs that gets cold; if that makes sense.

My brother was saying to place the thermo in the hall way upstirs might be better but he also mentioned there are new themo out that that are wireless and can do "zonal heating"

Anyone had any experiance or comments .....

Zonal heating would need zone valves in the pipework to divert water to the selected zones. Like the one that sends water to rads or hot water cylinder.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Your easiest option would be to buy a wireless thermostat.

These connect in place of your existing thermostat, but come with either a detachable front panel or a separate base unit which you can take it into whichever room you wish it to monitor the temperature in. It will then send a wireless signal to the base in the wall to switch your heating on and off.

More sophisticated versions allow you to have multiple sensors located around the house, however this will require a zone controlled heating system to make full advantage of the feature.

As mentioned by the TheCyclingProgrammer below though, make sure whichever room the thermostat is in has the TRV in the fully open position or else your boiler could end up running all night trying to push heat into a radiator the TRV has switched off!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • I'm not quite sure what you mean, if the downstairs is warm where the stat is why is the upstairs cold ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are the rads on full upstairs? Are they correctly sized? Do you turn the thermostat down at night? Are your bedrooms warm in the evening when the downstairs is at the correct temperature? Is the boiler even on over night?
  • I'm not quite sure what you mean, if the downstairs is warm where the stat is why is the upstairs cold ?
    Possible a badly insulated window or two or lack of lagging in the loft space. If the loft was cold then without decent lagging, the ceilings upstairs would also get cold.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Open the downstairs doors to the hall/stairs downstairs and the rooms you want to heat upstairs and hour before going up.

the warm air will swap with the cold air.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure