An electric or oil Aga???

Would love to have an Aga/Rayburn in my new kitchen but even if our initial budget would stretch to it not sure if we could afford to run one.

Does anyone have an electric aga and do you have any idea of how much it costs to run? I appreciate that they are more expensive initially but by the time you buy the flu, twice anually services etc for the oil aga there probably isn't much in it.

Our other alternative is an lpg aga...any info would be great...?!

Thanks

Comments

• Bungarm2001
    Bungarm2001 Posts: 686 Forumite
    I had an oil Aga a few years back, and it was wonderful...I really really miss it. It wasn't that expensive to run as I had an oil boiler in addition. The Aga simply did the cooking. Of course, the cost of the oil was much less then. You should be able to get a breakdown of costs from a local Aga supplier..it might help you make your mind up.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,988
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    An electric Aga is simply a storage heater, It's OK if you already use economy 7 elec. They are good to cook on but you can't turn them off if the kitchen gets too hot. Running costs around the same as oil (assuming E7) if you include everything. Recent oil price hikes may have changed things, but elec has hiked as well.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    simple

if you get a gravity fed oil aga then it will work when there is a power-cut..

an electric one wont..
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • Do Rayburns use less fuel ?

Just a thought, as we had a Rayburn, as it fitted our kitchen better than it's bigger brother, Aga.
    Baby-Mechanic

The only reason I keep smiling is so that people wonder what I've been up to !!
  • jascilmil
    jascilmil Posts: 8 Forumite
    Thanks for your help guys!

We don't actually have any particular fuel at present as this is a self-build project. So I suppose effectively we could have an LPG aga?! Unfortunately mains gas isn't an option.

Good point about a power cut...somehow it doesn't seem right running it on electric, however the electric aga does come with what they call AIMS technology which means you can turn it down at night or when you are away etc.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Have you had a look here

That is the aga's own website.

It tells you what the average usage is.
    An 3 oven electric one with out water heating is 250KWH per week :eek:

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Have a look at http://www.tradcookers.com/

I've got a gas Aga that I estimate is costing about £50-60 a month to run, and after yet another run in with E-on over the enourmousness of my bill, we've come to the conclusioin that we just have to turn it off for the summer. I have an electric back up for the water, and can use the gas barbie and a camping stove, plus the micro, slow cooker, and deep fat fryer for cooking (albiet not very healthily!) The kitchen gets too hot in the summer anyway, and the room above (my bedroom) gets very hot fro m the rising heat too!

We are trying to move at the moment, and the places we are looking at all have oil fired aga's or rayburns (a tank of oil costs £500 and lasts about four/five months....over winter) the guy above - trad cookers, has a gadget he reckons cuts the cost of running an oil range considerably, so you might be interested.
  • jascilmil
    jascilmil Posts: 8 Forumite
    ok so say it looks like an aga is going to prove to costly to run. Does anyone have an experience of the Esse W25 cooker (as referred to in the Times article recently - thanks moonrakerz). Looks like a good alternative especially since we have access to wood on the farm. We could also utilise it's heat for some of the central heating and hot water if we put in something like a thermal store along with possibly solar backed up by oil?! (we are about to start building a house you see...)
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    oil Esses used to be very noisy - whereas Aga's are quiet. Quiet a bit of chat about esses here: http://www.countryliving.co.uk/index.php/chatroom/topic/816?startnum=81

We used to have an aga just for cooking and I've heard tales of problems when you try to do multiple jobs - they can lose heat at irritating moments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure