Cheap HPI Check for Cars

Comments

• cbrpaul
    cbrpaul Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LEE_UK wrote: »
    we used www. thecheck .co.uk its superb value for £3 and is sent to your mobile phone instantly! used this service when I was out viewing a van and it turned out to be "cat d" accident damaged! The best £3 I'd ever spent! Could save you a lot of time & worry. would def use this service again.

thx lee i just used this service myself , and its great , you can even call them after you ge the text , and they go through it all on the phone also !!

Basically

Text DRIVEBUY space REGNO to 83600. cost £3 ,

:T
  • hello

i just wanted to point something out about mycarcheck.com

When you select the cheapest option which is £3.95, you are taken through to a second screen for payment ... unless you want to pay £8.95 - UNCHECK the box for mileage ... they automatically check it YES which makes the check more expensive. The section is red, but a very dull red that is hard to see. Unless you want to know the last recorded mileage obviously.

:o)
  • There really is no such thing as a free HPI check. Frankly if you see a check saying that they find anything less than 1 in3 cars having a hidden history they are probably missing something, and it is most likely to be finance (the HP in HPI!)
    There is a promotion code being offered by HPI just for this weekend (24th and 25th of April) it is HPI2425APR and if you put it in you get 20% off. The URL for HPI is hpicheck and I think it is .com rather than .co.uk.

Don't waste your money with a cheap text £3.95 type check, I have heard of people who have had their cars taken off them by finance companies even when they have done one of these cheap checks. (think there was a feature on the one show as well last year)

Good luck if you are buying a car this weekend, doing a check is well worth the money, but make sure finance is covered (AA, RAC, Autocheck, Pistonheads and HPI all cover finance I think, pretty certain the others don't.).
  • MikeSi
    MikeSi Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi,

thanks for the heads up re comparecarchecks.com - it worked great for me. Why don't people with good [free!] services shout louder???

For those of you who value your time like I do, the link posted above by Robert Belly is useless. :mad:

The better site was as someone mentioned earlier was the carcheckdirect.co.uk website because they have a really nice way of displaying information from all the big names - and what you get from each and from what i can see, it seems to have been referenced by the bbc as well. :T
  • Thanks MikeSi. Carcheckdirect is okay, but a lot of the links don’t seem to work anymore. This one is quite good and is more up to date: comparecarchecks.co.uk
  • cbrpaul wrote: »
    thx lee i just used this service myself , and its great , you can even call them after you ge the text , and they go through it all on the phone also !!

Basically

Text DRIVEBUY space REGNO to 83600. cost £3 ,

:T

no problem ive used this service about 10 times now!
  • Gorie
    Gorie Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm a bit of a newbie to this, however I have just checked a car with AutoCheck.co.uk from experian and it had finance so that was money well spent! I found a discount code to get 5 Checks for £19.99 (instead of £24.99) the code is "S2KUK"

Thats £4 each - but from my research their insurance (should they tell you a car is clear and its not) was by far the best. They also check for everything including Police interest, HPI and write off!

Hope this helps!
  • I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone. I like this particular article It gives me an additional input on the information around the world Thanks a lot and keep going with posting such information.
    ======================
  • Hi all - I am buying a used car from a national dealer (Evans Halshaw) I am assuming the car will be finance free but I thought I'd make sure. So..which is the best company to use? Cheapest preferably.
  • angelnas wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Is there any HPI check websites that are either free or cheap. I am wanting to buy a used car and looking at a few cars, so checking them all would be quite expensive, even though some state that it is HPI clear you can never really be sure. I have found one site thats seems reasonable autocheck .co.uk for single or multiple checks and you have 2 months in which to check further vehicles after payment for multiples. Wondering if there are any others that members may have come across or any trade person willing to check for a fee for multiple transactions.

Many thanks

Here I'm posting a few links I found while browsing the Internet and looking through moneysavingexpert forum:

1. Firstly, even before buying a car we need to perform a vehicle check. Straight away I need to tell you that there is no such thing as free vehicle check (at least I haven't found one). This services provided online range from a basic text/message report with no guarantee for £4 to all-included report with £30,000 guarantee including cloning cloning for £20.50. Of course, it is possible to pay more for the check, but I have explored only reasonable offers.

To perform a basic check you only need to know vehicle registration number (Reg No), but for the complete you would have to provide vehicle registration number (Reg No), Vehicle Identification Number (VIN/Chassis/Frame No), V5 serial number and issue date (Log Book serial number), Engine Number (Engine No) and mileage.

Firstly, here are two websites with the comparison tables of the most important factors we need to consider when determining the right "HPI vehicle check service" (carcheckdirect .co.uk/ and comparecarchecks .co.uk/). The first one includes sample reports, but both websites are already out-of-date. Although all factors are important, I want to stress the most important differences offered by major companies in their products:
    a) Vehicle information Not all companies provide a full report on VIN, engine number, mileage to check `clocking`, colour change, and full history populated with dates when owners sold vehicle. Some reports include full spec of the checked vehicle (CO2, mpg and so on - everything you may find free on the Internet).
    b) Finance/lease check This is one of the most important features. It checks if the car is registered to the finance company as the owner might have bought vehicle on finance/lease and there is still outstanding balance. Therefore, finance company could repossess your vehicle if you do not pay outstanding balance which might be £500-£20,000).
    c) Police and police interest check Very important! Your vehicle might have been reported as stolen. By the law you cannot buy stolen property even for a genuine reason. Eventually it will be seized by the police and you wouldn't recover a penny.
    d) Insurance theft, write-off, accident and scrap check. Also is a very important aspect as in this case vehicle could be recovered by the insurance company should you have bought it without prior check. The report might show that your vehicle could have been write-off, stolen, full-loss or damaged in an accident.
    e) Security watch - This register typically records vehicles at high risk of fraud or theft (e.g. hire cars, demonstrator vehicles and garage forecourt stock). The Security Watch register is primarily used by the Police, finance companies and the motor trade, to ensure that these vehicles can be traced if someone steals them or attempts to sell them fraudulently (for example - perhaps without first settling an outstanding agreement). The registering party will be alerted.
    f) Guarantee offered by "HPI check" is optional but a must if you want to protect yourself from check errors which might affect your vehicle`s value. For example, if the vehicle is actually stolen or is financed, but report states it not by an error or mistake, the insurance would cover the cost up to £5,000 with RAC and up to £30,000 with HPIcheck, AA and Autotrader for claims made within the next 24 months. If your vehicle is only reduced in value due to an error (say due to not being reported as total loss C or D categories), the insurance would cover 50% of the purchase price or up to £1,000 with RAC whichever is lowest. And 50% or £15,000 with RAC, AA, AutoTrader/vehiclecheck .co.uk. If you want a cover against `cloning` (a "cloned" vehicle being a vehicle that has been stolen and given a false identity, normally that of an identical vehicle), you would have to sign up with hpicheck .co.uk (RAC, AA, AutoTrader/vehiclecheck .co.uk exclude `cloning` from their covers) You would have to pay for vehicle by BACS/cheque even buying from private seller if the vehicle's value is over £3,000 to validate cover!
    To validate guarantee (insurance check cover) you would have to input all above information online and cross-check it with the vehicle you intend to buy prior to the vehicle purchase! It is only afterwards you would try to arrange meeting the seller at the registered address. You also would have to obtain a written statement form the private seller which would contain seller`s name and address, basic vehicle information, mileage and price to keep it as a proof of purchase. You will have to submit it later to the vehicle check company when making a claim.
    g) And other VIN and engine check, mileage check, number and dates of sales by previous owners, dates of the number plate change, colour change and import/export check, V5 issue date and serial number (to avoid signing fraudulent V5).

General comparison site on most popular HPI services with samples of actual reports:

carcheckdirect .co.uk/ AND comparecarchecks .co.uk/- although both websites are out-of-date.

1. carwebit .com/ = icarcheck .net/ - £5.00 for a check, but no finance infromation is provided nor guarantee.
    Sample Report: icarcheck .net/products/sample-reports/sample-report-screen

2. mycarcheck .co.uk/ - £5.00 for a check, but no finance infromation nor guarantee. Even a package for £15.00 doesn't offer finance check.

3. vehiclecheck .co.uk/ = motordatacheck .co.uk = autotrader .co.uk/ - £20.00 for 1 check or £25.00 for 5 checks.
    Advantages: finance, police, insurance, export/import, security alert checks, full mileage list and VIN, Engine No, colour, full previous owners history, guarantee cover for £30,000, import/export cover, plus mileage, number of owners cover (not provided by other companies).
    Drawbacks: No documentation check (V5 serial number and issue date check against fraud); no cover from `cloning` expensive for 1 purchase.
    Sample Report: vehiclecheck .co.uk/VehicleCheck/sample-reports-index.html?persist_affiliateid=101
    Data insurance cover: vehiclecheck .co.uk/VehicleCheck2/images/insurance.pdf?popup&persist_affiliateid=132&persist_SubscriberID=101716&AutoLocateID=DEF988544C1D4DD0019F02B0

4. carstatuscheck .com/ = hpicheck .co.uk/ - all-in cover for a price of £20.50 OR 3 for £31.00.
    Advantages: `all inclusive` guarantee £30,000 and £15,000 for value reduction cases (for writen-off) plus 7-day car insurance, all checks, security register, write-off, theft, mileage plus 7-day free insurance. The only company that provides cover from `cloning` (RAC, AA, AutoTrader/vehiclecheck .co.uk exclude `cloning` from their covers) You would have to pay for vehicle by BACS/cheque even buying from private seller if the vehicle's value is over £3,000 to validate cover.
    Drawback: the most expensive; provides same information as RAC, but has more comprehensive guarantee.
    Guarantee terms: carstatuscheck .com/furniture/guarantee.html

5. autocheck .co.uk/ = aacheck .co.uk/ - managed by well-established Experian Ltd £20.00 for single check and £25.00 for 5 checks. Gorie found a discount code to get 5 Checks for £19.99 (instead of £24.99) the code is "S2KUK". (I haven`t checked it). Report layout and guarantee terms&conditions are identical to Autotrader`s package. (Unless I haven`t noticed something)

6. rac .co.uk/products-services/car-data-checks/ - RAC £15.50 for single check or £26.00 for 3 checks. Report lyout is identical to hpicheck .co.uk, but offers less guarantee (£5,000 unlike £30,000 by HPIcheck) and doesn't offer 7-day insurance cover.
    Advantages: comprehensive checks , security, insurance, police, salvage, V5 information
    Disadvantages: £5,000 guarantee and up to £1,000 `reduction in value cover`.
    Guarantee Terms: raccheck .com/consumer/RACtermsSummary.do

7. carwatch-uk .com/ - £3.00 for a text message. Very basic service with no finance check and no guarantee offered.

8. ebay .co.uk/

Ebay offers its own exclusie check underwritten by HPI Ltd with £10,000 guarantee for £6.99 per report or £13.99 for a 3-reports package.
    Ebay Sample Report: vehiclestatusreport .co.uk/check/sampleResults.do

To summarise:
    1. The most secured one-off check is with HPIckeck, but also is the most expensive £20.50. If you don't think your vehicle is f any interest to criminals (cloning) and car value up to £5,000, go with RAC £15.50. It offers the same report, but with lower guarantee value.
    2. autocheck .co.uk/ with code "S2KUK" vs RAC: Autocheck and autotrader offer full mileage list, guarantee similar to HPIcheck £30,000, no cloning cover, no documentation checks (V5 reference check), but the only company offering extended cover against errors in the number of owners, import/export and overclocking and you could perform up to 5 checks for £20.00.
    3. Cheap services offer no guarantee and no finance check for £3.00 per check. They are the most useful for mass checks although I would preffer to use autocheck .co.uk/ for £4.00 as it at least offer certain guarantee against errors and mistakes.

Next step is you could check MOT detailed report history available since 2005 to find out what maintenance repairs were carried out.

motinfo .gov.uk/

This is a free website to check any MOT
    MOT Status Check Request </span>his service enables you to
    1. Confirm that an MOT Certificate is a genuine record of that stored on the MOT Computerisation database
    2. Check the status of a vehicle that has undergone a recent MOT Test
    3. View the MOT Test history of a vehicle since year 2005.
    4. Before you can access the information from the MOT Computerisation database you will need the following:
    a) The vehicle registration mark from the number plate
    b.1) The MOT test number from the VT20 MOT Test Certificate or VT30 Refusal of an MOT Certificate OR
    b.2) The document reference number from the V5C Registration Certificate issued by the DVLA (dvla .gov.uk)

Thank you for reading. All comments would be appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback