Paying into a Coutts account - problem

I have a problem trying to pay some money into someone else's Coutts bank account. For 3 years I have been paying an amount into this account 4 times a year from my Co-op account internet banking. Now want to pay from my Barclays account internet banking and trying to set up a funds transfer. The box to put the account number will only takes 8 numbers, the account number I am trying to use is 10 numbers although the last 4 numbers are 0000

I spend hours yesterday on the phone to Barclays trying to sort it out, I spoke to several different people and being told all different things, in the end they told me to call at the branch which I have done this morning, probably to get rid of me, and I have got nowhere. They said the account number must be wrong

I have been using this sort code and account number for 3 years to pay from Co-op successfully

I have checked with the Co-op that these are the numbers they have been using - all OK

I know the other payments have arrived in the account

I have checked with the person I am trying to pay that the numbers are right - all OK

I phoned Coutts to check if their account numbers are 10 digits, I didn't want to give the name or account details or ask them about a specific person's account, just asking generally, but they would not answer anything at all

Someone along the way, can't now remember who, suggested that I knock off two of the four 0000 at the end of the account number to maker it 8 digits but what if the money goes into the wrong account?

Any help would be appreciated I need to get this paid
Loretta

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 November 2009 at 11:51AM
    Possibly (and no guarantee):

make the account number 00000000

All bank account numbers are 8 characters - where they are not (eg Alliance and Leicester) it's a question of moving the excess into the sort code or adding a zero at the front). The system just won't work any other way.

Put the Coutts account number in the reference/roll number field

That may have been what the Coop have been doing. If you still have online access it may be worth trying to edit the details of the payment - that may show you the actual contents used by the Coop

Though the few Coutts cheques I've handled have had normal 8 digit account numbers.
  • willo65
    willo65 Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Coutts accounts are the same as any other bank 8 digits long. not sure what the 10 digit number is that you have been using....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure