Budget Advice

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Make friends with your local charity shop plus do freecycle. Babies grow out of clothes very quickly so no need for new until they are a lot older. I still remember splashing out on a lovely outfit for my eldest only for her to have a growth spurt that meant it lasted less than 2 weeks. Toys also secondhand. I vote books new though - they get a heck of a bashing. But don't forget the library ...

Sterilising in microwave? Would it be cheaper to use old fashioned sterilising solution?
  • stucosby
    stucosby Posts: 27 Forumite
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Make friends with your local charity shop plus do freecycle. Babies grow out of clothes very quickly so no need for new until they are a lot older. I still remember splashing out on a lovely outfit for my eldest only for her to have a growth spurt that meant it lasted less than 2 weeks. Toys also secondhand. I vote books new though - they get a heck of a bashing. But don't forget the library ...

Sterilising in microwave? Would it be cheaper to use old fashioned sterilising solution?

Great advice, thank you. I think this £40 is definitely a source to scale back. I have no idea how much the microwave costs to run - off to Google...
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but income of £1928, outgoings of £2010 doesn't leave anything over for the month?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you pay car tax annually or 6 monthly? If the latter, start paying annually.
  • jimjames wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but income of £1928, outgoings of £2010 doesn't leave anything over for the month?

sorry the total is £1,910.55 - i've edited the original post!
  • knack92 wrote: »
    Do you pay car tax annually or 6 monthly? If the latter, start paying annually.

Yes i would like to do this - just a question of cashflow - around £400 for the year across 2 cars
  • stucosby wrote: »
    £158.00 My Petrol (66 mile round trip daily)
    £40.00 Wife's Petrol
    £15.75 My Car Tax Monthly
    £17.94 Wife's Car Tax Monthly
    £8.54 Breakdown Cover (RAC)
    £36.72 My Car Insurance
    £14.53 Wife's Car Insurance

That doesn't look too bad at £219.48 per month, or about £3.5k per year. But for a real appreciation of what the car is costing I prefer to include depreciation. And what about servicing and MOTs? I bet the reality is £5-6k depending on the age of the cars you drive?
  • M0ney
    M0ney Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »

I try to figure these things out (we use the microwave for this)...I'm going to say no, it is possible for us to sterilise 4 bottles at a time although I think even if you do one at a time the microwave is cheaper, we have a 18mth and 8 wk kids, my calculations are as follows...

Each run takes 5 minutes i.e. a 1/12th hour average microwave uses ~800watts

So each run uses 0.0667Kw/hr @ ~17p = 1.13p to do a sterilisation, I'm not sure but I would imagine this is less than the cost of a tablet.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you really need two cars if only one of you seems to work outside the house?
  • I'm in a similar position, having just pulled my head out of the sand I realised we were not doing well financially, thankfully I'm tackling it before we get into major debt. My partner is the main earner and I'm self employed (making very little but our circumstances means it'd be difficult for me to get a job).

has your wife checked for entitlement to child tax credits and working tax credits. you probably won't get a lot but even a bit will help, particularly if your wife needs to reduce her working hours, I think there is a calculator on this site somewhere so you can check before you call.

use the site saynoto0870 to get the relevant landline number so you don't spend a fortune on the phone call.

I've just swapped my internet from sky to ee. it was £132 upfront for line rental and then £2.50 per month (+ though MSE you get £100 Amazon voucher), saving £27 per month compared to sky. and the voucher will pay for kids birthday presents. (bonus).

I always do my main shop at aldi first, then anything I can't get there I use other supermarkets, places like B+Ms can have great stuff too. When we shopped at asda a big shop could easily be £100 now I'm shocked if our aldi shopping hits £40. I also now plan out meals so I only buy what we need batch cook and freeze portions so now we always have healthy meals that can be reheated and served within 10 mins. (hoping to keep shaving the bill down)

For kids stuff I always try to get 2nd hand first and don't go overboard at birthdays and xmas. I was blessed with a lot of hand me downs, but charity shops and facebook selling pages are really handy and I've heard the jack and jill markets are really good too. when I feel guilty cos I see other parents spending tonnes on there kids I remind myself that we aren't getting into debt to buy toys and it means we can have fun family days out, which I think is much more important. On that note always check for discount codes before you head somewhere, loads of softplays will have a cheap deal at quieter times, cineworld does junior showings where you can get tickets for as little as £1.35, I take my two swimming a lot my local pool is £3.05 for me and the kids go free (under 5), check out your local community centre, ours sometimes get theatre companies in doing kids shows for a couple of quid a ticket. Just make the most of anything free in your area, your health visitor should know whats on. We spend about £50 per month on the 2 kids (excluding transport) but we do loads with it.

there are loads of stuff you can try to make a few extra pennies but it really is only a little extra and personally I find it all a bit stressful. I try to cut back so we can live within our means and spend more time together.

hope this helps a bit, you'll probably be really surprised with what you manage to take off your monthly bills. I've cut my bills down and we're actually doing more fun stuff than ever
    all the best x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport