does having 3 points affect your insurance

Basically I am a 3rd party driver and I have received a fine of 60quid and 3 points on my licence for speeding on the motorway, would this affect my insurance?

Comments

• Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Is that 3 or 6 points you have as there are two threads on this?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Soon find out when you notify them.

If you dont notify them right away you may not be insured. They could cancel your policy for non disclosure.

That will do wonders for your next insurance quotes.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Insurance companies only need half an excuse to increase your policy.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Soon find out when you notify them.....

Getting 3 points won't make any difference now.

It may make a difference to your premium when you renew.

Do dummy quotes online with and without the conviction to see what difference it makes to the premium.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i got 3 points back in 2007 made no difference at all
    i did qoutes with and without the points on..

cu80 (mobile use whilst stationary belive it or not.. engine was running)
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You should also check your latest policy wording to see what it says about notifying any changes to your insurer and when you should do this. Make sure you follow to the letter.

3 points may or may not influence the pricing at renewal. I suspect with some of the budget price chains who charge for everything it may well do.

However most important thing is that you disclose to your insurer in accordance with the policy conditions (and also make sure you read the renewal notice in detail when it comes so you are not caught out)!
  • It makes no difference till your current policy runs out and its time to renew your policy. At this atage you will need to declare to you insurance provider that you have been fined for speeding. They will set your new premium slightly higher.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just to clarify, YOU follow the instructions of YOUR policy.

If it tells you to report convictions IMMEDIATELY, you do exactly that. If it tells you to report convictions at RENEWAL, you follow that instruction.

Many people think because THEIR policy says something, that applies to all policies.

It doesn't. Follow only your own policy instructions.

Here, for example, is the wording from an Esure/SWheels contract;-
    8. Your duty of disclosure

You must tell us immediately if any of the following happens:
    • you change your car
    • you make modifications or changes to your car which improves its value, performance, appearance or
    attractiveness to thieves. This includes, but is not restricted to, changes to the engine, engine management
    or exhaust system, changes to the wheels or suspension system, changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers
    or body kits or changes to the windows, such as tinting
    • you want to use your car for a purpose not included in your Schedule
    • you become aware of any medical or physical condition of any driver covered by your policy which may affect
    their ability to drive
    you or any other driver covered by your policy are convicted of a motoring offence other than fixed-penalty parking offences or is banned from driving
    • you or any other driver covered by your policy is involved in an accident whilst driving another vehicle or
    suffers a loss, such as a theft, of any other vehicle or makes a claim on any other motor insurance policy
    • you change the address at which you normally keep your car
    • you or any other driver covered by your policy are convicted of any offence relating to fraud, arson or dishonesty
    • you or any other driver covered by your policy change occupation
    • you change your annual mileage.
    • you or any other driver covered by your policy cease to be a permanent UK resident

We may then re-assess your cover and premium. If you do not tell us about any relevant changes, we may:
    • reject or reduce your claim; or
    • declare your policy null and void.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure