Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dalfman
    • By Dalfman 17th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Dalfman
    Pension advice
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    Pension advice 17th Jul 17 at 1:33 PM
    Hi all,

I am hoping you can all provide some advice and guidance on my current SIPP and some funds to consider moving forward.

I currently have circa £52k invested in predominantly Global equities. This was setup many years ago by an IFA who worked with my old employer to setup everyone's pensions. I currently have the following funds through Aviva:

Aviva Pensions Pacific Equity S2
    Asia Pacific Equities

Aviva Pensions UK Equity S2
    UK Equities

Aviva Pensions Global Equity S2
    Global Equities

Aviva Pensions European Equity S2
    European Equitie

Aviva Pensions BlackRock Aquila Japanese Equity Index Tracker S6
    Japanese Equities

Aviva Pensions Fidelity American S2
    North American Equities

My end goal is to retire at 60 years old. I am self employed and aiming to contribute circa £22k per annum (employer contribution) into my pension. Aged 32, my risk appetite is high.

I would appreciate some pointers on the current funds I am invested in and some suggestions to consider moving forward? I will also actively research my current funds and future funds but any clarity provided at this stage and considerations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 23,484 Posts
    • 13,659 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    I am self employed and aiming to contribute circa £22k per annum (employer contribution)
    You mean that you are an employee of your own limited company?
    • Dalfman
    • By Dalfman 17th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Dalfman
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    Yes I am, but the contribution comes directly from my limited company.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 89,606 Posts
    • 56,105 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    What investment strategy are you planning to follow? That if the first decision. Once you have decided that, you then pick the funds to match that strategy and the weightings to go with it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Dalfman
    • By Dalfman 17th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Dalfman
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    Hi dunstonh, i'm not entirely sure tbh, this is all new to me. Can you provide a link or additional info for me to read into?

Sorry for my vagueness, this is unknown territory for me and I am looking to develop a much better understand so I can take control of my investments / strategy.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 89,606 Posts
    • 56,105 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    Hi dunstonh, i'm not entirely sure tbh, this is all new to me. Can you provide a link or additional info for me to read into?
    Running bespoke portfolios is more than just a link you can briefly run through. You need to be able to analyse the underlying assets of each and every fund and put an appropriate risk rating on them. You also need to decide on the asset weighting for your particular model. Those weightings are likely to change throughout the economic cycle and not remain static.

There are some websites that give static allocations. They won't likely be as good as live weightings and some of them were clearly built for the US market and not the UK. However, if you don't mind compromising your returns because you want to do this yourself, then they would be ok. Although the risk measurements are going to be difficult. e.g. if you pick higher risk Asia investments where you are going to balance that increased risk out elsewhere in the portfolio? Do you reduce the allocation in Asia or do you use lower risked assets in say the European allocation? If you did that, would the increased risk in one region more than make up for going defensive in the other?

Those sorts of decisions and data analysis are best made with software and not off the top of your head.

Alternatively, either stick with an advised solution or go with a multi-asset fund (that does that sort of thing internally).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 23,484 Posts
    • 13,659 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    http://monevator.com/passive-fund-of-funds-the-rivals/

might be worth a read.

And your SIPP platform?

http://monevator.com/find-the-best-online-broker/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583030
    • Dalfman
    • By Dalfman 18th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Dalfman
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    thanks all, appreciate the input. Plenty to research and consider before making any decisions.
    • atush
    • By atush 18th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 16,334 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    atush
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    Consult the vanguard thread on MSE. While you are looking to learn about investing (instead of hiring an IFA) the vanguard series can give you global diversity (and asset diversity depending on which one you choose).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,191Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin