Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 15th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 672Posts
    • 508Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    On Burying Treasure
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    On Burying Treasure 15th Jul 17 at 10:23 PM
    I want to stash some cash, about a month's net salary, in a safe place, so that, if I become a fugitive, I can retrieve the assets.

Clearly, I need to hide the money away from my residence/land, so presumably on land which I don't own.

Has anyone got any useful advice on maximizing the security and availability of hidden physical-asset stashes? Burying treasure seems to be a lost art these days.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Last edited by FatherAbraham; 15-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Page 2
    • Elijah Bailey
    • By Elijah Bailey 17th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Elijah Bailey
    The island of Hispaniola would be a excellent place for this. A sort of double bluff.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 17th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 7,340 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    Biggles
    Is nobody else curious?

FA - from what are you fleeing? Don't say "winter is coming".
    Originally posted by AndyT678
    I already asked (post #10) but he doesn't seem inclined to reply. Might give the game away, I guess. "I plan to murder Donald Trump during his visit to the UK", for example, would be a real giveaway (though there might be a queue for that).
    • AndyT678
    • By AndyT678 17th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    AndyT678
    I already asked (post #10) but he doesn't seem inclined to reply. Might give the game away, I guess. "I plan to murder Donald Trump during his visit to the UK", for example, would be a real giveaway (though there might be a queue for that).
    Originally posted by Biggles
    So you did. I missed that. Still only 2 after 800 views though!

Is FA a villain, a spy, Richard Kimble, a Walter Mitty type? Who else goes on the run???

FA - Always remember it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 4,269 Thanks
    badger09
    That's the last we'll hear from Biggles

• kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 17th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 9,367 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Might be best to start getting a comprehensive set of disguises and false identities ready for your time on the run; wigs, hats, false moustaches etc, etc.
    Originally posted by mollycat
    Remember, mon ami, it iz zee earz that are 'ardest to, 'ow you say, disguise.

Come to think of it, Abraham old fruit, could one consult with ancient refugees from Hitler - how did their parents bury their stuff? Or would some memoirs tell the story? But that would be from days before metal detectors.

UPDATE: I've got it! Just bury it where you've buried your revolver.
    Last edited by kidmugsy; 17-07-2017 at 1:18 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 17th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Hide it away behind the wafers in your Tabernacle?
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 17th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    • 7,340 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    Biggles
    That's the last we'll hear from Biggles
    Originally posted by badger09
    Why do you think I was careful to put it in quotes?
    ;-)

Mind you, things are always being taken out of context on the internet, sooner or later it will be "Biggles said......" etc!
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 17th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Reaper
    Let's see. To try to avoid commercial use of the hiding spot (eg plowing) I suggest a public right of way footpath. That ensures easy access.

Burying it would be tricky with people wandering past, so I suggest the traditional night time dig. Preferably with a rising ground mist for effect.

Then you need to remember where it is. A landmark such as under a tree is often used but if left for any time those roots will grow and wrap themselves round it making retrieval a lengthy process. Not much good when you are on the run.

Instead I suggest an open patch of ground, buried deep. You will need to record the precise GPS coordinates, or better still a map of the area written on parchment with a large "X" marking the spot and the words "Treasure Map" unwisely written at the top in gothic script.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 17th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 17,517 Posts
    • 8,831 Thanks
    schiff
    Why not put it on the Cloud. That's where everything is going to end up eventually.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 17th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 9,367 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Happily all this cheerful nonsense has suggested to me a fine place to bury stuff. Alas I can't tell you where, obs.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 17th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Alexland
    If you only need to hide it for a bit you could post it to yourself?
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 17th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 1,855 Thanks
    mollycat
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was an angry letter by "Outraged from Turnbridge Wells", in the Daily Mail tomorrow.

Complaining that there is a comprehensive guide on how to kill Donald Trump and evade capture on a "popular consumer website".

"You couldn't make it up", spluttered an incandescent Richard Littlejohn.
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 17th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    I suggest putting it into the air duct system of a office block building that's currently under construction.... which will later turn out to be a police station.

Then you'd have to impresonate a pizza delivery agent to get into the building, but that would fail.

Ultimately, you would find Great Success (tm) by pretending to be a police detective and solve crimes while simultaneously trying to get your stash, and your police detective colleagues would love you.

Good film!
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£2040.32 / £10k) (20.40%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 17th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Buy a dog from a gypsy camp and get it to swallow your stash hidden in a squeaky toy. You can 'open the dog' later
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 17th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    Buy a dog from a gypsy camp and get it to swallow your stash hidden in a squeaky toy. You can 'open the dog' later
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    But we know from Gone In 60 Seconds, that the stash will get removed at the next bowel movement
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£2040.32 / £10k) (20.40%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    I am mainly curious about what deed might cause you to become a fugitive, and when you are planning this?
    If I asked a question about how to organise some critical-illness insurance, I'd be surprised if someone started asking me what type of cancer I was planning to develop, and how soon.

I'm not planning to become a fugitive any more than my house-contents insurance implies I'm planning to be burgled, or have my possessions destroyed by fire.

The time to arrange insurance is when one doesn't need it. The time to prepare for unpleasant or dangerous circumstances is when one is safe and comfortable.

I'm trying to mitigate a potential crisis, for whatever reason. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Having ready cash on hand in times of need is a valuable option - a "real option", as economists call it. Just like having five litres of fuel stored for one's motor vehicle, or a week's worth of tinned food stashed in the loft.

However, storage, protection and accessibility of real options is not something that all of us have first-hand experience of - hence the usefulness of discussion boards like this one, where ideas can be shared or critiqued.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 17th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Apodemus
    I'd suggest simply placing your treasure under a flat grave stone in a remote, no longer used, burial ground. You know the grave is unlikely to be disturbed, you know that very few people will go there, you know that the layout is not going to change and that the location will be easily remembered and it would be fairly simple do. Only risk is rabbits and moles!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 17th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Let's see. To try to avoid commercial use of the hiding spot (eg plowing) I suggest a public right of way footpath. That ensures easy access.
    Originally posted by Reaper
    Easy access yes.... but doesn't preventing ploughing or other commercial use.

Footpath Rights of Way are simply protected as routes to walk on - the ground itself isn't protected. Indeed many cross fields that are regularly ploughed. The farmer is obliged (in theory) to make good the surface for walking on afterwards but there's nothing to stop him/her digging the path up whilst he needs to. And some will have gas/electric/water services running under, or even along, them.
    • Puddylove
    • By Puddylove 17th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Puddylove
    I once had to bury a friend's deceased Guinea pig in a field (clay soil, drought) at night. I dug for what felt like hours, with my friend sobbing quietly beside me, until the light of our head torches attracted the local constabulary. Difficult times.

Therefore I suggest you consider soil type, rainfall, depth and digging utensils, proximity to local roads, as part of your plan.

X
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 7,303 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Why bury it? Why not carry it with you.

You could wear loads of body piercing jewellery and everyone would assume it was Cubic zirconia. But if it were real diamonds ...
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

403Posts Today

3,793Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin