Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 4:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 4:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 483
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 17th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Surely what was paid towards PPI i should be refunded as it was mis sold?
    Originally posted by S1ugg3r
    As I read your original post, it has been refunded. Except that you personally didn't get the money, it was paid directly to your creditors, as you'd defaulted on the loan. You owed third parties money, so it's only fair that they get first dibs on any monies related to the loan.

I'm certainly not an expert on PPI compared to many here and don't understand much of it, but your scenario makes perfect sense to me, as this is outlined as to how it will work:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/bankruptcy-2/ppi-claims-after-bankruptcy/

On the original PPI paperwork it would have been clear which party was covered. For example, on the various ones we've had, I have never been covered as I'm self employed and have medical conditions that would preclude me. So in the tables for first named person and second named person, my husband's cover is detailed and mine is shown as N/A or similar. I'm sure that yours would be similar, showing the details of your cover and not for your partner - if it was a joint loan covered by PPI. Maybe your ex should have declared herself bankrupt and not you, as she was the one who couldn't pay.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 4,620 Thanks
    -taff
    It was cause of the PPI i had no choice but to go bankrupt.
    If the PPI had paid out then i wouldnt of gone bankrupt.
    Do you understand what im saying?
    Originally posted by S1ugg3r
    Yes, but you are wrong.

The PPI would have been a small amount compared to how much you were probably in debt by to have gone bankrupt.
    Being unable to service your debts led you to bankruptcy, not PPI.
    • sjohn
    • By sjohn 17th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sjohn
    Hi
    This is my first time on a forum so please be patient with me I have gone through the PPI Reclaiming tool and have recieved a letter back from the company stating that because the "insurance policy" (PPI) was sold prior to 14 Jan 2005 (before insurance contracts became regulated) there was no reason for them to assess my needs and suitability for the policy. Therefore my claim has been rejected.

I have been paying PPI from 2001 - 2017. Am I still able to claim from 2005 - 2017? Do you think it is worth going to the Ombudsman?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Jul 17, 5:28 AM
    • 12,507 Posts
    • 12,670 Thanks
    zx81
    No and no.
    • The_Analyst
    • By The_Analyst 18th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    The_Analyst
    Possibly an interesting story for those who had Egg Loans and Credit Cards....

My wife received a latter from Canada Square Operations late 2012 stating they believed she may have been mis-sold PPI when she took out her Egg Card back in the day. Prompted by that, I applied directly to them for a PPI refund stating I had Cards and Loans from 1999-2011.

In early 2013 I was refunded just short of 9k and my wife around 3k. We were both very happy with that and it came as a welcome boost to our finances that year.

Middle of last year (2016) I had one of the PPI companies call and state they believed I had unclaimed PPI - despite me telling them I had received pay outs from Egg and HSBC and had explored all otehr options, they were insistent that many companies were "not paying out the full amount" and with half an hour to spare, I let them take my details and process a series of claims....

A few months later I got 2 letters from Canada Square Operations. The first one stated I had no claim as it had already been paid out in 2013, but the 2nd one stated I had a successful claim against the Credit Card I held from 99-11 and offering a redress of around £6,000(!)

So, despite my initial claim stating I was appying for a refund on both loans and cards, Egg (CSO) only refunded my loan(s) and not my credit card.

I wish I hadn't used a PPI Company as I lost 40% of that redress, but had they not called, I wouldn't even had applied to CSO

So, the advice is - even if you have had a payout, it's worth going again with CSO if you held multiple accounts to see if there is any extra you are due...
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 88,329 Posts
    • 53,548 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi
    This is my first time on a forum so please be patient with me I have gone through the PPI Reclaiming tool and have recieved a letter back from the company stating that because the "insurance policy" (PPI) was sold prior to 14 Jan 2005 (before insurance contracts became regulated) there was no reason for them to assess my needs and suitability for the policy. Therefore my claim has been rejected.

I have been paying PPI from 2001 - 2017. Am I still able to claim from 2005 - 2017? Do you think it is worth going to the Ombudsman?
    Originally posted by sjohn
    You dont have access to the ombudsman. The FOS only consider reviewing rejections for sales made after regulation started or if the company was a member of an earlier body. Banks and credit card providers have to consider pre-regulation complaints. Car dealers, loan brokers, financial advisers, mortgage brokers, accountants etc do not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • BrightSpark606
    • By BrightSpark606 19th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BrightSpark606
    Hi, Santander have offered me £459 and have called this a '***** redress'. Basically they don't have any details of my credit card with them from 2000 - 2003 (it was passed to MBNA in 2003) they have calculated the offer based on what they have paid all other Santander customers who opened a credit card in 2000!

I know for a fact a had a balance of £1000 for the whole period and a calculator claims I should get £900+. The problem is I have no statements and they apparently don't have anything.
    Can I challenge the offer?
    • BrightSpark606
    • By BrightSpark606 19th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BrightSpark606
    That should say assumptive redress
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 12,507 Posts
    • 12,670 Thanks
    zx81
    You can't challenge it without any evidence.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 19th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 4,620 Thanks
    -taff
    You can challenge it if you have some records of your own to back it up.
    • Helen38
    • By Helen38 19th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helen38
    multiple PPI Claims
    Hi,
    I have been reading through the process of claiming PPI which I paid on a mortgage I had when I was 18 until I was 25 but I also had credit cards, store cards etc.. do you have to do each company separately or can you do 1 claim for all ? Also as it was many years ago, I do not have all the relevant paperwork - how do I go about getting this ?

Look forward to your responses

Helen
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 12,507 Posts
    • 12,670 Thanks
    zx81
    You contact each company, with your mis sale reasons for each.

What paperwork are you after?
    Last edited by zx81; 19-07-2017 at 9:18 PM.
    • merrydance
    • By merrydance 23rd Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    merrydance
    Hi Have gone through a claims company, and they have found out that I pay ppi on my Halifax Credit card, have looked at my statement and cannot see any mention of it. I phoned the claims company back and told them this, they advised me that some company's put it in with the interest amount and not separetely- can this be right? Thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 23rd Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 12,507 Posts
    • 12,670 Thanks
    zx81
    No - that's complete b0ll0cks.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 88,329 Posts
    • 53,548 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi Have gone through a claims company, and they have found out that I pay ppi on my Halifax Credit card, have looked at my statement and cannot see any mention of it. I phoned the claims company back and told them this, they advised me that some company's put it in with the interest amount and not separetely- can this be right? Thanks
    Originally posted by merrydance
    No. It is a lie. It would also be illegal. If you are paying PPI, it would be a separate transaction on the statement.

Remember that the person who you are allocated to at the CMC is on a commission to get you signed up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • merrydance
    • By merrydance 23rd Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    merrydance
    Oh not sure what to do now, they say the Halifax has agreed I have PPI on this credit card, I just cannot see it anywhere! Never even knew I had it, do I have it lol?
    • amersall
    • By amersall 23rd Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 16,634 Posts
    • 18,673 Thanks
    amersall
    Could this be PPI that you paid previous to the statements you have, maybe another card that you had with Halifax?.
    Last edited by amersall; 23-07-2017 at 1:48 PM.

• Donegal_Paul
    • By Donegal_Paul 23rd Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Donegal_Paul
    Hi all, just to say that Ive been put onto resolver about PPI via the wife and just had a reply from TESCO who I believe I had a credit card with years ago (over 10) but theyve said that they dont enter into email correspondence about it and I have to talk to them.
    However as it's soooo long ago i have literally no details anymore, I guess I just have to accept that? Or wait the 2 months before escalating to the ombudsman?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 23rd Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 12,507 Posts
    • 12,670 Thanks
    zx81
    You can't go the Ombudsman if you won't talk to them.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 23rd Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 16,634 Posts
    • 18,673 Thanks
    amersall
    Contact them and be honest.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin