Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RachelRyan
    • By RachelRyan 15th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    RachelRyan
    Benefits Savings Limit
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    Benefits Savings Limit 15th Jul 17 at 8:20 PM
    I am aware that if you have x amount of savings then your universal credit will be reduced or stopped. Could I not just lend the money to a family member to avoid this, or would this be considered benefit fraud?
Page 1
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 15th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 12,043 Posts
    • 17,824 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    if you intentionally deprive yourself of money in order to claim benefit, you will be treated as if you still have it.

if you don't tell them you have it, then it is fraud
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5678366

and

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677212
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 15-07-2017 at 8:40 PM.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 15th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    I am aware that if you have x amount of savings then your universal credit will be reduced or stopped. Could I not just lend the money to a family member to avoid this, or would this be considered benefit fraud?
    Originally posted by RachelRyan
    Of course it's fraud. Do you really need that spelling out?

Benefits are there to help people in need. If you have over the benefits threshold you're not in need
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • RachelRyan
    • By RachelRyan 15th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RachelRyan
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    There's no need to be rude because I'm not as intelligent as you. I'm simply asking a question to educate myself before I do something wrong. I'll seek help elsewhere in future if this is how you treat people.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 15th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    OP - nannytone answered your question and wasn't rude.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    There's no need to be rude
    Really?
    Has anyone been rude?
    • RachelRyan
    • By RachelRyan 15th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RachelRyan
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    I was referring to the post above mine "Do really need that spelling out?" Is incredibly condescending. I have no qualms with anyone else who posted; sorry if I inferred otherwise.
    • w06
    • By w06 15th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    w06
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    Yes it would be benefit fraud, intentionally depriving yourself of capital so as to increase your entitlement to means tested benefit. You would be considered to still have the capital and likely penalised for commiting fraud
    • RachelRyan
    • By RachelRyan 15th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RachelRyan
    I understand. Thank you nannytone, alice holt and w06 for the information
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 15th Jul 17, 11:34 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I was referring to the post above mine "Do really need that spelling out?" Is incredibly condescending. I have no qualms with anyone else who posted; sorry if I inferred otherwise.
    Sorry but it's so obvious that asking the question is ridiculous.

You asked if you can pretend to not have money in order to get benefits you're not entitled to. You don't have to be 'intelligent' to know that...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 16th Jul 17, 6:17 AM
    • 15,640 Posts
    • 39,130 Thanks
    FBaby
    Remember that the benefits you receive come from hard working people who get a cut of their salary each month to go in the pot that gives you your benefits. Do you think it is right that if you suddenly have enough to support yourself, you could give that money to add to the income your family receives when those of strangers is cut to support you?

Sometimes remembering where the money that supports you comes from can help understand why some actions are considered fraudulent.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 17th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    There's no need to be rude because I'm not as intelligent as you. I'm simply asking a question to educate myself before I do something wrong. I'll seek help elsewhere in future if this is how you treat people.
    It would appear that you're not so thick that you can't work out a plan to defraud the tax payer
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 17th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 8,781 Posts
    • 11,613 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    It's fraud: I suspect, given that you posted the question worded as you did, you pretty much guessed that: Good for you checking before doing it (I assume..)

btw, fraud is a criminal offence: That people can & have gone to jail for ... see Fraud Act 2006...
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/crossheading/fraud

& it's very easy for people to report suspected benefit fraud (quite right too..) - as it is for tax fraud, a much bigger problem...
    http://www.benefitfraud.org.uk/

Best regards to all decent law-abiding members...
    • venison
    • By venison 17th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    venison
    Remember that the benefits you receive come from hard working people who get a cut of their salary each month to go in the pot that gives you your benefits. Do you think it is right that if you suddenly have enough to support yourself, you could give that money to add to the income your family receives when those of strangers is cut to support you?

Sometimes remembering where the money that supports you comes from can help understand why some actions are considered fraudulent.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Thats highly debatable, maybe the money comes from the £billions the govt borrows each and every month to keep the country afloat?
    #WeStandTogether
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 18th Jul 17, 8:19 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    tomtom256
    Thats highly debatable, maybe the money comes from the £billions the govt borrows each and every month to keep the country afloat?
    Originally posted by venison
    Well that makes fraud ok then if its borrowed money! I mean that won't affect taxpayers will it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin