Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 5th May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 565Thanks
    crumpetman
    Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card
    • 5th May 17, 1:32 PM
    Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card 5th May 17 at 1:32 PM
    Got a letter today, Barclaycard are dropping the 1% cashback Amex card and the Visa card to be replaced with a single card offering 0.5% cashback.

1% cashback ends on July 13.

Is 0.5% still the best? Might have to switch over to Amex proper now.
Page 8
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 9th Jul 17, 7:25 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Terry98
    It seems they have closed the old account on 3rd July and credited the cashback due a couple of days later. My cashback does not seem to include the Amex purchases from my last statement to 3rd July.
    I will wait for my next statement, due next week, to see if they credit it then.
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 10th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    I stopped receiving cashback on the Amex card on 5th July, my statement date, so I haven't used it since then. I have used the Visa card but none of those purchases are showing online since the account is showing the new card details, which I haven't received yet. I am supposed to receive the new card by 19th which gives them just over a week to get it to me. It's all a bit of a mess if you ask me.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 10th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Terry98
    For some reason I stopped receiving cashback on my Amex card on 3rd July although my statement date is 15th.

I got a letter from Barclaycard saying 3rd July was the last day I would earn cashback on my Amex card but they don't appear to have credited the cashback for those purchases although they have paid all the rest.I will wait for the next statement to see if they show it then.

Luckily I received my new cards a couple of weeks ago but they do not start until 1st August. I am going to cut the new Amex card up because I cannot see when I would ever use it!
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 10th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    surreysaver
    For some reason I stopped receiving cashback on my Amex card on 3rd July although my statement date is 15th.

I got a letter from Barclaycard saying 3rd July was the last day I would earn cashback on my Amex card but they don't appear to have credited the cashback for those purchases although they have paid all the rest.I will wait for the next statement to see if they show it then.

Luckily I received my new cards a couple of weeks ago but they do not start until 1st August. I am going to cut the new Amex card up because I cannot see when I would ever use it!
    Originally posted by Terry98
    Why on earth would they send you a new Amex card when they're doing away with them? It might be worth sending them a secure message about your missing cashback. I got all mine okay with my last statement.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • miller
    • By miller 10th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    miller
    I'd guess Barclaycard probably renewed them under the old scheme as they were expiring and Terry98's new visa will arrive soon so probably will never get to use them.
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 10th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    crumpetman
    My current Barclaycard Visa/Amex cards expire 08 2017, some people may have ones expiring this month hence getting replacement cards to use for only a matter of days before the new single card is issued.
    • rainbowskies
    • By rainbowskies 10th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    rainbowskies
    My new cashback Visa arrived today from Barclaycard. For anyone wondering, it looks identical to the Visa cashback card from the Amex/Visa duo. The only difference is the card number, expiry date, etc.
    EMERGENCY FUND £1644.03 / £3000 (55% SAVED)
    CAR FUND £1200 / £1200 (100% SAVED)
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 10th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    My new cashback Visa arrived today from Barclaycard. For anyone wondering, it looks identical to the Visa cashback card from the Amex/Visa duo. The only difference is the card number, expiry date, etc.
    Originally posted by rainbowskies
    Why didn't they simply void the Amex cards then?
    Seems much effort for very little gain.
    • miller
    • By miller 12th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    miller
    Originally posted by rainbowskies
    The thumbnail has been updated in my online banking and a grey card similar to the old world Mastercard is there.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 12th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 997 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    darren72
    The thumbnail has been updated in my online banking and a grey card similar to the old world Mastercard is there.
    Originally posted by miller
    I noticed this the other day, expecting the new card to look like that - instead it is the exact same one as the duo visa card.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 12th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Terry98
    Why on earth would they send you a new Amex card when they're doing away with them? It might be worth sending them a secure message about your missing cashback. I got all mine okay with my last statement.
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    Mystery almost solved.

I got another new card in the post yesterday with the new account number so I will start using that now.

I have got no idea why they sent me new cards (Amex and Visa) with the old account numbers starting 08/17 a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully my statement, due in a couple of days, will explain the missing cashback.
    • minhp
    • By minhp 14th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    minhp
    I asked Barclaycard bluntly via making complaint route about the £50 credit. A CS representative called me and literally sworn on his own life that not a single customer with Barclaycard Amex was given £50 credit. So I left it and closed the complaint.

The annoying bit to me was that not all Barclaycard Amex migrated at same time with some still have until September afaik.

It seems like Amex is trying to cut all ties and having customers directly with them so they don't have to share the cut with other issuers.
    • ic
    • By ic 15th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 2,489 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    ic
    I'm still waiting on my replacement card. I switched the majority of spending to a new Amex Costco card a month ago - for some reason I got £50 welcome reward on it (I never saw this advertised), and have found my spend at the cafe and coffee shops in the office at work get the 3% cashback rate.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 16th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    WillPS
    It seems like Amex is trying to cut all ties and having customers directly with them so they don't have to share the cut with other issuers.
    Originally posted by minhp
    Amex aren't able to charge retailers more than 0.3% unless the card is issued directly by them (with no partner branding) or the card is intended for business use only, thanks to the interchange cap.

Mastercard/Visa are also capped at 0.3%.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 16th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Amex aren't able to charge retailers more than 0.3% unless the card is issued directly by them (with no partner branding) or the card is intended for business use only, thanks to the interchange cap.

Mastercard/Visa are also capped at 0.3%.
    Originally posted by WillPS
    the cap is 0.9% on Direct AMEX until 2019.

Additionally as a retailer I pay 1.8% to accept Amex via my card acquiring partner Worldpay. Visa and MasterCard cost me 1.3%. The difference is the profit by the acquiring providers. Paypal typically charge 2.1%. Izettle 1.75%.

SOURCE: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/12/18/american-express-interchange-fees-cut-earlier-than-planned/
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 16-07-2017 at 9:15 AM.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!
    If I've helped you, please help us HERE!
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 17th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    WillPS
    the cap is 0.9% on Direct AMEX until 2019.

Additionally as a retailer I pay 1.8% to accept Amex via my card acquiring partner Worldpay. Visa and MasterCard cost me 1.3%. The difference is the profit by the acquiring providers. Paypal typically charge 2.1%. Izettle 1.75%.

SOURCE: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/12/18/american-express-interchange-fees-cut-earlier-than-planned/
    Originally posted by NoviceAngel
    Not sure where you're getting 0.9% from - transactions which use Amex-issued Amex cards (which do include any other branding) are not subject to any EU-mandated cap as the article you linked to states.

What has changed is that "co-branded" cards - which Amex issue on behalf of a brand partner (BA, Costco, Nectar, Harrods) are now set to be included in the standard 0.3% cap - http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/07/14/amex-loses-eu-court-appeal-on-ba-amex-interchange-fees-what-now-for-the-card/

In any case, Amex licensed cards (MBNA, TSB, Lloyds, Barclaycard) have been included in the 0.3% cap from the moment it began in the UK.

As you indicate - the only group have benefited so far have been the merchant service providers.
    Last edited by WillPS; 17-07-2017 at 9:48 AM.
    • miller
    • By miller 17th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    miller
    Got a text from Barlcaycard that my new card will be with me within the week. Same issue as grumpyoldwoman earlier in the thread; purchases on the old Visa card are not showing (my online account seems to have been converted over).
    • zcaprd7
    • By zcaprd7 17th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    zcaprd7
    Very annoying, went with this message to them, lets see what they say:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was extremely disappointed to hear that you intend to lower the cashback amount you will offer on your joint credit cards (not to mention the hassle of reissuing them again).

The main reason I use your services (and Egg before that) was the cashback offer, and if you insist on removing it, I will have no choice but to apply for an Amex everyday card (and perhaps an Asda credit card) and use those instead.

However, I would rather avoid a pair of unnecessary credit searches on my history, and the hassle of two applications, so if you are willing to offer me £50 as a gesture of goodwill, to make up for the shortfall in my cashback, it will be enough to convince me to remain as your loyal customer.

Sincerely,
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 18th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 6,510 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    Got a text from Barlcaycard that my new card will be with me within the week. Same issue as grumpyoldwoman earlier in the thread; purchases on the old Visa card are not showing (my online account seems to have been converted over).
    Originally posted by miller
    I received my new card last Saturday. The purchases on my old card are now showing on my online account. In the transactions list the purchases on the old cards have a little credit card icon beside them and hovering over it it says that it was purchased on a card that has now been cancelled. I can't see any cashback amounts for those purchases though. If they don't appear on my next statement I'll have to send them a secure message asking where it is.
    • miller
    • By miller 19th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    miller
    I received my new card last Saturday. The purchases on my old card are now showing on my online account. In the transactions list the purchases on the old cards have a little credit card icon beside them and hovering over it it says that it was purchased on a card that has now been cancelled. I can't see any cashback amounts for those purchases though. If they don't appear on my next statement I'll have to send them a secure message asking where it is.
    Originally posted by grumpyoldwoman
    When they worked out the final cashback for the last statement it appeared as if there was some manual intervention (with erroneous amounts being reported on here). It wouldn't surprise me if they had to do the same the following month (and hopefully not get it wrong).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,609Posts Today

7,672Users online

Martin's Twitter