Wickes pvcu plus (composite) doorset - any good?

I was thinking of buying one of these door sets. They seem a very reasonable price and i was wondering what the quality was like. Does anyone have any experience or advice or opinions to pass on? They come with a 10yr manufacturer's guarantee. Thanks.

Comments

• Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Why bother? My window company have only just fitted me a very good high quality PVCU door/frame made using Kommerling Ovalo profile with leaded feature window for just over £400 fitted. I'm very pleased with it.

What part of the country are you in?
  • Pssst wrote: »
    Why bother? My window company have only just fitted me a very good high quality PVCU door/frame made using Kommerling Ovalo profile with leaded feature window for just over £400 fitted. I'm very pleased with it.
    because a composite door is better than a upvc door and we also fit the kommerling ovalo system .we fit rockdoor composite doors there expensive and in a toally different league to wickes there cheap for a reason one of them due to being mass produced
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    a6windows wrote: »
    because a composite door is better than a upvc door and we also fit the kommerling ovalo system .we fit rockdoor composite doors there expensive and in a toally different league to wickes there cheap for a reason one of them due to being mass produced

I bow to your greater knowledge A6. I feel we are neighbours?Can you smell the biccy factory from your office?

Anyway I presume a composite door is solid material of some kind rather than upvc profile chopped and shaped?
  • Not sure if this is true but I have been told that the cheaper upvc comes from China and is part recycled, identifiable after a few years when it turns a nice shade of yellow...
  • Thanks for your comments A6 and Psst.

I believe the rockdoors are extremely good quality (and 15mm or so thicker than "normal" composite doors??), but around twice the price.

I'm not sure about the "mass-produced" aspect of Wickes' doors: they are available made 2 measure or in "standard" sizes. I guess the standard ones could be considered mass produced, but then they are £50 cheaper and presumably of the same quality as the m2m ones? Or did you mean something different?

£400 for a decent pvcu door does seem very reasonable, but may be a bit dearer in the South East, especially m2m.

An extra benefit of composite for my situation is that (i believe) the conventional flush hinges willl allow me to buy a standard size door. PVCu type hinges would necessitate an extender and a m2m door.
  • Intersting point lovethymini, but i don't know if this would apply to composite door. The description says "This door has a composite construction, manufactured with a quality PVCu skin over a timber frame and solid core." so i guess it might be prone to fading. Then again, it has a 10 year guarantee.
  • ortolickus wrote: »
    The description says "This door has a composite construction, manufactured with a quality PVCu skin over a timber frame and solid core." so i guess it might be prone to fading. Then again, it has a 10 year guarantee.
    another reason why they are cheaper the timber core is prone to warping.and yes a lot of so called composite doors are cut from blanks made in china which are then cut and edged .were as Rockdoors are an engineered door not a blank cut to size http://rockdoor.com/rockdoor-video.php ive seen the the doors being made its amazing
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure