What to do when a partner/spouse dies.

Options

Comments

• Shakey999_2
    Options

Hi, I use to work for The Pension Service and if anyone would like a booklet entitled - 'What to do when someone dies' - it is freely availble. Just ring 0845 606 5065, they will be through to their local Pension Centre and ask them to send you the above booklet. It will take a few days for it to arrive.
  • Gabriel-Ernest
    Options
    I'd recommend keeping a personal document listing exactly what the person needs to do - your brain's a fuzz of shock when it happens, and having all the steps clearly available (keep it updated) would help. When my father died, we just didn't know what to do, whom to contact, which official bodies needed to be informed. One thing which I made a priority was to contact utilities etc to get the bils transferred into my mother's name only; I knew it would upset her to get bills in the weeks and months to come with my father's name on them.
    Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    now that i am on my own i have all my documents in one box that my eldest son knows of, also agree with getting more copies of the death certificate along with the original
  • montycat_2
    Options
    Hi ,
    Stormbay ,Firstly,I want to say Huge hugs .
    Secondly ,I lost my husband suddenly in June 2005 and I have 3 daughters (my eldest is 10).I know exactly where you are at .
    There is a group called the WAY Foundation that is for widowed people who were widowed under the age of 50 .I have found them alot of help .They organise meet ups and ,general help .(just type WAY Foundation in the Search Engine)

For the children ,Winstons Wish is a good start -my girls are going on Camp Winston to deal with their grief .

With regards to the finances ,my BIL helped me with the nitty gritty ,can you find a trusted family member or friend to help out .

PM if you need to -I am 18 months down the pot-holed road and am beginning to see where the next pot-hole is .

Martin- can sub-board be started on Bereavement ?
  • montycat_2
    Options
    ANOTHER USEFUL BOOK .

Death and how to survive it -Kate Boydell .

She is also the founder of the Merrywidowme site .It deals with losing your partner in a very raw way -she experienced it in her 30's with 2 young children .
  • montycat_2
    Options
    Sorry for the seperate posts but ,I feel it emphasises each point .

When dealing with Sudden death in unexplained circumstances be prepared for the Post-mortem and Inquest .You won't get the formal Death certificate until after the Inquest .
    You will be given an Interim Certificate to wave at people in between whiles .

BE WARNED -some accept it ,others don't .Luckily the Benefits Agency recognises it but ,some Insurance companies don't .

It costs to get the Death Certificate -get extra copies as ,you may need more than one .

Never send all the death certificates off at the same time -always make sure you have at least one at home at all times .

Be back later with more .
  • montycat_2
    Options
    LIfe Insurance

PLease make sure you have it ,that it is up-to date and also that it covers mortgage and enough to give you a decent life .
  • sl171
    sl171 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Very important topic. My mother died and she did all the accounts etc etc. My father did not have a clue where to start. Luckily my brother really helped and it was fine. We were also lucky because my mum kept everything in order. I'd advise anyone to prepare for death because you really need to know what to do. There is so much planning and sorting out to do that you don't want to be stuck fighting for money etc.

We had big problems with our internet provider 'orange' who said because the account (which was registered in my mums name) did not have third party access that it had to be closed and re connected again. this meant no internet connection for 5 weeks which was ridiculous.

Also still having problems sorting her civil service pension out, so if any body has any help it would be much appreciated. My mum worked there for about 8-10 years (1970s) and paid a pension, however, they are saying that because she left before the widows pension came in to force and she did not transfer her pension to her nhs pension, that my dad is not entitled to the money.
  • magicmaria
    Options
    hi speaking from first hand - Furneal Parlours will also do a credit check on you - I know because I had this done on me and I failed it - I had to borrow the money from my parents to pay for my husband to be buried as the Insurance money had not come through - This is disgusting they should ask for confirmation that you have insurance to pay for it instead of the humilation of having a credit check done
  • Janmar
    Options
    Make a will - essential. Make sure everyone in your immediate family knows where it is and what your funeral wishes are. Make sure same people know where to find details of all your personal stuff and regular outgoings, bank accounts, etc.

The undertakers will give you a booklet "What to do when someone dies" - it's very helpful. If Banks, etc. mention you need "Probate", call the Probate Registry (anyone - numbers are on website) and they will send out all the forms. Look formidable but straightforward really. You will need balances as at date of death for these so get a few spare copies of the death certificate to get these figures in - write to Banks etc. as you won't want to spend days traipsing round.

Ensure you claim what you are entitled to from the DWP - excellent website with alphabetical list of benefits available. This may be something like widow's benefit or lump sum payment (depending on age) or your circumstances may then entitle you to other benefits. You need to ask for these, they won't volunteer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure