[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Comments

• Joflt
    Joflt Posts: 2 Newbie
    I have also had a problem with this Discount Shoppers - without my knowledge and consent they took £8 from my bank account and I am furious- how dare they!!
    The payment was taken around a month after I ordered a picture from Allposters and yes it must've been the coupon that I clicked on thinking that I was getting a £10 voucher for my next purchase. I definately won't use Allposters again.
    I contacted Discount Shoppers on their freephone no today and they have cancelled my membership and said they will refund the £8. It still took a couple phone calls to them and my bank and some research to sort this out - it should be illegal! I urge others to complain and try to stop this scam.
  • Joflt
    Joflt Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi Jen, ring Shoppers Direct (on their freephone no) for a refund and make sure membership is cancelled. I have also complained to Allposters but no joy there. Lots of luck, Jo
  • sjpkgp
    sjpkgp Posts: 920 Forumite
    Just a quick update - got a response to my letter of complaint from interflora and it basically says "you pressed the link so tough phone shoppers discount". I have referred Interflora and Shoppers Discount to the Information Commissioner. The main tenet of m referral is that interflora did not expressly say that the link was to send information to a third party, they make no mention that there may be a charge to my account as a result, but moreover they send much more information than they allude to, including my password. My main objection to shoppers discount is they do not appear to have any mechanism of getting your full details off their database regardless of whether they stop the payment or not. Without this, you are a sitting duck for the next time someone wants to take money (albeit fraudulently).

Hope this helps & hope others refer likewise, it only takes 5 minutes by email to [EMAIL="mail@ico.gsi.gov.uk"]mail@ico.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL].

I sent my complaint and response and an overview of the situation and why I believed it was as a minimum, underhand, if not a full breach of the law.
    salx
  • tototo
    tototo Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had my first £8 debited and decided to ring the bank and they said they would look to see who they were, then decided to check here and I'm sure it was GobyCoach aka National Express that I used a few months ago. Will update when I ring SDR myself on Tuesday, can't let my hard earned £ go down the drain like that when I have 2 young kids to look after. Thanks to this site.
    Please God if you can't make me rich, make my friends poor!
  • Exactly the same thing has happened to me booked tickets with EasyJet clicked on £10 discount voucher. EasyJet then passed on my account card and address details to shopperdiscountsandrewards.com. 0808 234 1539 Monday to Friday 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, and Saturday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. I have phoned and cancelled the account lets hope that it works.

Reported it via the link in this forum.

Rang the Halifax fraud department to inform them about these transfers of bank details to 3rd parties and they said they were unprepared to follow it up, they said "nothing we can do about it":mad:

About to ring EasyJet to complain now :rolleyes:
  • tototo
    tototo Posts: 28 Forumite
    I was right it was National Express that shared my bank details with Shopper Discounts, rang SD and they have cancelled and promised to refund me the £8 in 10 days, hope I'll get it. NExpress however has not responded to my complaint, 4 days after sending them the complaint.
    Please God if you can't make me rich, make my friends poor!
  • Watch out for electricshopping.com. Their website has that voucher link after placing an order. I got caught out as well. It never asked for card details yet a month later my account was charged!
  • Dave321_2
    Dave321_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2013 at 3:49PM
    Hi, i was reading through the posts and decided to add my bit as i myself had a lot of hassle yesterday because of "shopper discounts".
    I got a mini statement out of the cash machine yesterday only to discover that for the first time ever i had gone into overdraft for a brief period because of a baffling £8.00 that had taken from my account.
    When i went into the bank and enquired about this all they could tell me was that the money was taken by "shopper discounts," and that was the only information they could provide me with.
    I spent ages trying to work out who these people were to no avail, and was actually on the verge of handing my card over for shredding and agreeing to having all activity on my account frozen while a long drawn out investigation by the bank was carried out on the bank's advice, which would of caused enormous inconvenience.
    Then i was talking to my father later in the day and he told me that he had also had £8.00 deducted from his account, which is at a completely different bank, by "shopper discounts."
    The only thing that connects us both electronically with banks and what not is the fact that we have both booked flights with EasyJet recently and strongly suspected that this was where the problem stemmed from. Then i googled "shopper discounts" as i realised there must be more people out there who have fallen prey to these people and found many many threads and articles like this one.
    EasyJet are very hard to get in contact with, but i did manage to get "shopper discounts" number on a thread similar to this one and i phoned them and demanded they close my account and refund my £8.00, which they said they would in 10 days time.
    I told them on the phone that i have never authorised for them to take any money from my bank account, and they didn't even try to deny the fact that it is a scam and said that by clicking the "Save £10.00 Off Next Fight" voucher at EasyJet's website, i had given them the right to take £8.00 from my account every month, apparently it was hidden in the small print somewhere.
    They then sent me a "Membership Cancel And Refund" email, but my father who just rang up and asked for his account to be canceled without bothering to ask for his £8.00 back, only got a "Membership Cancellation" email with no mention of any refund.
    This shows how calculating these people are, they have different standard emails for those who want the £8.00 back and those who don't mention it in the phone call.
    What's really annoying for me is that my card is a Maestro/Solo card and i am not supposed to ever go into overdraft with the bank and spend money i don't have in my account. Because of the £8.00 these people took from my account i now owe the bank a further £30.00 as a penalty for going into overdraft!
    [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    I was looking for easyjet promo codes and stumbled upon this thread. You are right, I got the screen saying tick here to get £10 off your next flight, but underneath it, there was a small note saying 'subscription service' - no mention of how much the sub was, but my sister was about to tick that, when I remembered this thread, and refrained from joining up:o

Thank you everyone;)

I think the way Easyjet has placed the tick is misleading, right at the top of the screen as well.
  • thepeb
    thepeb Posts: 10 Forumite
    Same thing here via Easyjet. Luckily I noticed an email with the words subscriptions about a week after joining. I then canceled via their website and also phoned them . they have confirmed that I have canceled within the 30 day trial period so would not be charged anything. Lets Hope. I feel that I am a very safe on line shopper and am usually aware of 'scams'. I am amazed with this that they got me. Can't believe that Easyjet can just pass on my credit card details to them without asking me first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure