PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This morning I had a "kitchen" session turning what was left of the weekend's pork joint into "other things". I remarked to DH that once I'd finished, I'd mop the kitchen floor and while that dried I'd pop over to the local C!op for some milk. He offered to go instead and came back with the milk + a malt loaf (no worries, it was on offer at 60p and I do like a couple of slices of buttered squishy malt loaf) + not one, but two large bottles of lemonade! Why? Because it was on offer. :doh: So, another £2.75 spent - that was expensive milk!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Florence I think you also work very long hours during the week, so please don't feel like I was implying you should do even more domestic work when you get home! Hand him a plate of cold food and a salt shaker.

No worries :D I do think OH sometimes exploits my genuine love of cooking in order to convince me to make dinner. Usually he'll convince me that the best dinner option is the meal that only I can make.

He does make very good potato wedges though so he does have his uses.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • XSpender wrote: »
    £3.00 spent in Land of the Pound on tin foil, chocolate fingers and jelly beans.

£11.00 spent in M&S on gluten free quiche, sausage rolls, fruit scones and bread.

I am making DS and 2 sets of his grandparents (and me and his Dad;)) a proper birthday party tea on Sunday for his 7th birthday. The kind of party tea I had as a kid 40 years ago when Krispy Kreme parties and soft play didn't exist! :eek:

Apart from the usual sandwiches and sausage rolls I always remember having chocolate fingers and fairy cakes with icing and a sweet on top. And a big jug of orange squash to wash it down before jelly and ice cream. Anyone else remember what else you had at a party tea back in the 70s?

All of the spends today are for the party (except the bread and foil which are everyday stuff).
    Yes I do !! And I do similar for my boys too, I make pizzas too as they are a favourite. And the lolly bag to take home was always my favourite. Although I've noticed in recent years Mums have turned the lolly bag in to a bag of cheap plastic toys and one fun size mars bar :eek:
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2017 at 1:13AM
    XSpender wrote: »
    Apart from the usual sandwiches and sausage rolls I always remember having chocolate fingers and fairy cakes with icing and a sweet on top. And a big jug of orange squash to wash it down before jelly and ice cream. Anyone else remember what else you had at a party tea back in the 70s?
    Yes, I remember the cakes with icing, the sweet was jelly tot, blancmange, trifle, marshmallow teacakes, cream soda, icecream floats, cocktail sausages on sticks, cheese on sticks with a pickled onion, flying saucers, white mice, twiglets (yuk), battenburg cake, victoria sponge, swiss roll, quiche, hundreds and thousands, blackjacks & fruit salad, tinned potato salad - think I should stop now.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 4 May 2017 at 2:03AM
    A Seventies birthday party. The cheese, pineapple and sausages on cocktail sticks are spot on Seventies but they are a bit lethal for small children.

Cadbury's Mini Rolls were always a huge hit.
    Sandwiches, always seemed to be salmon fish paste or chicken spread or strawberry jam. This was on thin white slices of wax-wrapped bread, crusts cut off.

The birthday cake was usually either a chocolate sponge or a Victoria sponge covered in fondant icing. No fancy shapes usually. Just a standard circular cake.
    I can remember a white blancmange rabbit being the centrepiece of one friend's birthday party. Blancmange was the most boring, tasteless dessert ever, I hated it.
    If I recall correctly, all it is, is flavoured extra thick white sauce made with milk and cornflour.

A big plate of drop scones was a must at our church parties. Here they were called 'pikelets' and tasted heavenly.

Drink was orange or lemon squash or lemonade, not Coca Cola, as that was for teenagers. Party blowers that unrolled with a raspberry noise were always popular, ditto balloons.
    A game of Postman's Knock, Musical Chairs /Statues (if you had a record player) or Spin The Bottle was obligatory.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • fendi-bag-lady
    fendi-bag-lady Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Bought some coleslaw today (£1.84) but when I got home I discovered there was a hole in the container and it had gone off! What a waste.

Lx
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2017 at 9:30AM
    Fendi-bag-lady - take it back and complain. That money is better off in your pocket rather than in their till!!

XSpender said
    Anyone else remember what else you had at a party tea back in the 70s?
    We always had cheese and pineapple chunks, or cocktail sausages and tiny picked onions on cocktail sticks stuck into foil covered potatoes. Height of sophistication :)

Three more NSDs this week, and a nice meal for sudden guests prepared from what we already had in, rather than newly bought goodies. Helped to reduce the pasta mountain too :)
    Supermarket tomorrow though, not looking forward to it as it's where things usually go pear shaped!
  • kkffoo
    kkffoo Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    XSpender wrote: »
    Anyone else remember what else you had at a party tea back in the 70s?

Early 70s. Every party I went to, or had ourselves, salmon paste on white finger rolls. Crisps. Home made birthday cake. That was pretty much it, apart from the exotic few who went for beef paste, or white sliced bread cut into triangles. Vimto to drink, which must have been awful to get out of a carpet.
    Target £80 per week groceries, household and cleaning for four adults.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ohhh I forgot to 'join' can I be put down for £300 for May please

Have had my first spend at Aldi of £56 this included a fair amount of stuff for youngest's work food.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Pablosmummy
    Pablosmummy Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Can I join this month? Used to do this a few years ago but now the spending is out of control. I'll go for a realistic £400 to start with, which is for two adults, two children and a cat.

Just had first shop delivered today so will update sig in a minute, doing a chicken salad tonight so will get lunches from the leftovers. Also planned coconut lentil Dahl this week so will get a few freezer meals from that.
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport