Donations to pet shelter

Is this the done thing after your dog has passed?

I’m not even sure if I have a shelter near me, but I have a lot of food, treats and poo bags that I don’t want to throw away.

Sentimental things like her bowls and collar I will keep and decide what to do with. And beds and toys I have thrown away.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 February 2018 at 12:53AM
    So sorry about your dog.
    I'm sure they'd appreciate anything you want to give. After both my last two passed I took the food etc down to the nearest rescue. The food bags had been opened but they didn't seem to mind.

ETA - just seen your other post. My last bull terrier developed breathing issues which she passed from. I don't think it's breed specific, just something that happens to some dogs. If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure my girl wasn't in pain.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Sorry to read abut your dog.

if you say where you are someone may be able to suggest a rescue.

Or put 'dog rescue' or 'staffy rescue' and your county into Google and see of anything comes up.
  • Many food banks also take donations of pet stuff, as their clients also have pets to feed. And some homeless support places will take dog stuff too.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,161 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Many rescues are very grateful for donations, esp as they will often try to send dogs to their new home with some things of their own - a bed, blanket, etc ... Sorry for your loss.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi
    I am a moggy mum and have taken stuff to dog and cat rescues when my fur babies have passed.
    They have always been happy to accept food / blankets etc.
    Dogs can eat cat food but not the other way round (well not on a regular basis as cats need taurine in their food)
    If what you gave to donate is not suitable then I am sure they will say.
    Slightly off the wall her but for anyone who lives near Monkey World in Dorset please check out their lists of stuff they want, I was amazed by what their monkeys and apes can use.
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That's a good idea. I've donated towels, blankets etc before and they were very grateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure