Infrared heating panel is no good

Options

Comments

• mjsingh
    Options
    Thank you richardc1983!

I did research. My room is smaller. This 900 watts infrared heating panel is stating in the website it is for maximum room 36 meter square. The infrared panel is with the stand on the floor.

The website is stating the FAR infrared heating panels are making more heat with less cost. This infrared heating panel is taking 900 watts always and the room is not warm. I am very cold in that room. Now I am using 1000w regular electric heater and it is taking 750 watts the heat is ok.

Cardew thank you this is true. "Like many companies, some of those manufacturing IR heaters imply that somehow you get more heat for the same cost; but you don't" This is true. This is stated that for less cost you get more heat.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    mjsingh wrote: »
    Thank you richardc1983!

I did research. My room is smaller. This 900 watts infrared heating panel is stating in the website it is for maximum room 36 meter square. The infrared panel is with the stand on the floor.

The website is stating the FAR infrared heating panels are making more heat with less cost. This infrared heating panel is taking 900 watts always and the room is not warm. I am very cold in that room. Now I am using 1000w regular electric heater and it is taking 750 watts the heat is ok.

Cardew thank you this is true. "Like many companies, some of those manufacturing IR heaters imply that somehow you get more heat for the same cost; but you don't" This is true. This is stated that for less cost you get more heat.

Can you please post the link where it states 'This is stated that for less cost you get more heat'

I have read the brochure and IMO whilst it implies what you state - the actual wording doesn't.

For example they make this statement:
    They operate at a fraction of the cost of traditional oil, gas and other forms of electrical heating but offer higher levels of comfort.

'Comfort' is not something you can measure - and indeed if you sat next to an IR heater you would be warmer than some other forms of electrical heating and thus more comfortable; however it doesn't mean they produce more heat for less cost.

Incidentally I cannot see where it states the 900watt model is suitable for 36m2 - this is from the brochure.

200W - 3 - 5 m2
    300W - 4 - 7 m2
    500W - 7 - 12 m2
    750W - 11 - 18 m2
    900 W - 13 - 22 m2
    1200W -17 - 29 m2

I agree that around £700 is a huge price to pay for a 0.9kW electrical heater. Especially when you could buy a 2kW fan heater for £10.

However unless you can show where the brochure is factually incorrect, you are wasting your time.
  • mjsingh
    Options
    Thank you!

I may not place a link but I am stating from the website:

Fact - Far infrared heating panels can do the same job as a regular electric heating system and use far less energy.

Inspire Infrared White 900 Watt Panel
    FOR ROOM SIZES
    UP TO 45 M2 NEW BUILD UP TO 36 M2 MODERN UP TO 30 M2 OLD HOUSE
    All Electric Panel Heaters
    £669.99 (inc. VAT)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think we've all been talking at cross purposes - the Inspire "infra red" heaters are just flat panel units not the sort with halogen lamps in them.
    Generally most places need something like 75-100watts/sq.m to keep them warm when the temperature gets down to zero outside. A 36sq.m room would need between 2.7kw to 3.6kw, ideally about 1.5kw at each end depending on the shape of the room.

£670 is a ridiculous price to pay for a 900w heater of any description especially when you can get one of these for £81 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slimline-Flat-Panel-Heaters-1500W/dp/B003ULYZIE
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • fishybusiness
    Options
    Is this the company?

http://www.infraredheatersdirect.co.uk/

I've found the panel you refer to, same price etc here..

http://www.infraredheatersdirect.co.uk/herschel-classic-panel-900watt

It cites your figures for 36 m2 modern using the 900W panel,

If you then use their panel wattage calculator here

http://www.infraredheatersdirect.co.uk/calculator

with rough room size of 6 x 6 x 2.7, required watts is 2430.

To me this demonstrates a discrepancy in advice given - is that enough to find a legitimate way to ask for a refund?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Is this the company?

http://www.infraredheatersdirect.co.uk/

I've found the panel you refer to, same price etc here..

http://www.infraredheatersdirect.co.uk/herschel-classic-panel-900watt

It cites your figures for 36 m2 modern using the 900W panel,

If you then use their panel wattage calculator here

http://www.infraredheatersdirect.co.uk/calculator

with rough room size of 6 x 6 x 2.7, required watts is 2430.

To me this demonstrates a discrepancy in advice given - is that enough to find a legitimate way to ask for a refund?

Thanks!

That link indicates that the 900w version is for rooms up to 45m2(new house)

However that is at odds with other information in the website:

Herschel Select Infrared Heating Panel 900 Watt

For Room Sizes

Up to 18.5 M2 New Build
    Up to 15.0 M2 Modern
    Up to 12.5 M2 Old House
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's a case of caveat emptor. If the panel isn't faulty there's no prospect of a refund. If it's less than 14 days since acquired doesn't the OP have the right to cancel under distance selling regulations?
  • IFRHeating
    Options
    I realise this is an old post but want to include this in defence of infrared heating and to be fair to the selling company. Their website states that a 900w radiator is suitable for 36m3 (NOT 36m2). Given a standard ceiling height of 2.7m this equates to an area of approximately 13.3m2. The website is quite clear. In addition as infrared is radiant rather than convection it is recommended that they should be placed at picture height or on ceiling. All of this is explained in the website. Radiant heating does not heat air so there is no sense of walking into a room and feeling a blast of heat. Rather it provides a thermal comfort in that you are warmed directly but subtly. If you do not have sufficient wattage for your room it will not provide the thermal comfort necessary. It is essential to calculate and supply the correct wattage. You need an extra radiator and you also need a timer or thermostat to ensure these work efficiently and cheaply. Once the area is warmed and radiating it's own heat the radiators will then need to be on for a maximum of 8hours to give 24hour heat. Obviously you can regulate this to suit your own requirements saving even more. With finishes including mirror, glass, pictures or plain that can be painted there is no reason why a radiator at picture level should look terrible.
    On a last point, £670 is far too much to pay for the rad (£699 today 2016). You can purchase radiators of equal quality for less than half the price you paid.
  • lloydh
    Options
    These heaters are also available from infraredpanelheaters.com

They also sell a range of infrastrip heaters that are better for conservatories and rooms with higher ceiling heights or hard to heat properties.
  • sickofusernamez
    Options
    This is true if both heaters had the same power consumption but if that was the case then you have oversized your infrared heater by a mile. For example, I would never use a 2.5kw infrared heater to heat the same size room as a 2.5kw electric convector heater for fear of frying. :eek: I could heat a 500 + sq.ft room with that size infrared heater.

If infrared heaters are providing "some savings", then something is seriously wrong. If we're talking about electric convector heaters, there sThere should be a drop of anywhere from 40% to 70% in power consumption with infrared heating.

thenudeone wrote: »

An infrared heater has exactly the same efficiency as the cheapest electric convector heater, i.e. 100% of the electricty you pay for is turned into heat.
    Most of the heat is given out as radiant heat rather than conductive heat, which could give some savings because you shoudl feel the benefit of the warmth on your skin without the heater having to heat up all the air inbetween you and the heater (like a "normal" heater). There have been many threads discussing the merist (or otherwise) of infra-red heating.

My guess is that the company will have been clever enough not to make any enforceable promises in writing, so you may have to put this down to experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure