The London Mint Office - scam?

Comments

• The good news for those who have ordered and paid for anything from London Mint that never arrived is that they are in pretty much the same position as those who ordered something which did arrive. Better off in fact, as they don't have a worthless lump of metal cluttering up their shelves.
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Wonderful post, Scorpion de Rooftrouser. Well done! :rotfl:
  • Kegs
    Kegs Posts: 1 Newbie
    The penny is worth less than a penny.
    It certainly is not gold!
    If you look on their latest TVs advert it becomes obvious that the outfit is operated by a moron.
    If you look at the emblem to the right of the coin it says.
    "FOR KING AND EMPIRE"
    SERVICES ENDERED"
    Surely any official coin outlet would not ha "ENDERED"
  • Hi! I'm new here but saw this thread which made me want to post. I've bought a few coins from this company London Mint but recently received an invoice for a coin that i haven't asked for or received. I've always paid on time for other coins i've received with no issue - i realise now they are worthless! Anyway, i've emailed their office twice but had no reply. I've phoned them and requested a callback which hasn't happened unless they didn't leave a message. I received an unsolicited text and mobile voicemail message from a company called C.A.R.S asking me to contact them but with no other information. Could this be a debt collection agency? I'm reluctant to contact them as i don't know who they are. How can i prove i didn't receive any further coin from London Mint Office - they post directly through the letter box so there's no signing or tracking. I have an excellent credit record and always pay my debts but am worried this could get out of hand and not sure how to deal with it. I see from the thread that many advise doing nothing and ignoring them but it makes me anxious.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi! I'm new here but saw this thread which made me want to post. I've bought a few coins from this company London Mint but recently received an invoice for a coin that i haven't asked for or received. I've always paid on time for other coins i've received with no issue - i realise now they are worthless! Anyway, i've emailed their office twice but had no reply. I've phoned them and requested a callback which hasn't happened unless they didn't leave a message. I received an unsolicited text and mobile voicemail message from a company called C.A.R.S asking me to contact them but with no other information. Could this be a debt collection agency? I'm reluctant to contact them as i don't know who they are. How can i prove i didn't receive any further coin from London Mint Office - they post directly through the letter box so there's no signing or tracking. I have an excellent credit record and always pay my debts but am worried this could get out of hand and not sure how to deal with it. I see from the thread that many advise doing nothing and ignoring them but it makes me anxious.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!

CARS is a debt collection agency: Creditlink Account Recovery Solutions Ltd. (Who dreams up these ludicrous titles?) It's FCA and CSA registered, which is, at least, better than nothing:

http://www.carsuk.org/

Note that this outfit appears to wish to convey that it's a charity / a non-profit / a personal enterprise by using an 'org' suffix instead of the usual 'com'. Note, also, that the so-called London Mint Office also represents itself as 'org' instead of as a commercial company.

Where CARS is concerned:

(1) do NOT answer any telephone call from it
    (2) do NOT initiate any telephone call to it
    (3) Never forget (1) and (2)

If The London Mint is seeking to obtain monies from you then it's supposed to have sent you at least three items of correspondence in regard to that claim:

(1) Invoice for the amount required for item received;
    (2) Reminder for amount required for item received;
    (3) Final Demand with notification of bringing in its appointed debt collection agency.

If CARS is seeking money from you, it is obliged to write to you (not ring you) with a statement which details, in full, the nature of the claim together with proof of claim -- that is: the order you made for the goods.

You haven't said how "recent" you "recently received" the invoice from London Mint for the item which you say you never ordered and have never received.

Time is of the essence, so you need to ensure that you react to situations such as this as promptly as possible, and maintain a documentary record of that reaction. Hopefully then, you emailed / telephoned / wrote back within 24 hours of receiving the invoice for goods you don't have nor ever wanted -- because if you didn't, then whether you like it or not, a question mark gets raised over your own behaviour.

As telephone conversations are not worth (legally speaking) the time expended upon them -- which is why you should never ring a Customer Service department, but email it instead -- then correspondence is the way to proceed. You've exhausted the email approach so you now need to refer to this link:

https://www.londonmintoffice.org/customer-service/complaints-procedure

Do NOT use the address information given for this outfit earlier in this thread. Though 'Harmsworth House' -- the Daily Mail's former headquarters building -- is rented out to numerous small businesses, The London Mint Office doesn't figure on its renter list nowadays.

Do NOT make the mistake of writing to the company at its Registered Office address, either. Use ONLY the Porth address in the above link.

Your letter MUST be a complaint and MUST be headed: COMPLAINT. Don't dance around the topic but go straight in by writing:

Dear Sir / Madam:

I am writing to complain tha
    t . . . . and then set out the nature of your complaint.

Send this letter by Next Day Royal Mail certified delivery. Do NOT send by Signed For because Signed For isn't actually proof of anything.

If the company does not adhere to the timetable it has set out in its Complaints Procedure, then and only then should you write -- by Royal Mail Next Day Certified Delivery -- to:

Gregory Charles Prosser,
    Chief Executive,
    The London Mint Office Ltd,
    Claret House,
    Gelliarael Road,
    Gilfach Goch,
    PORTH
    CF39 8SY

I imagine that it will continue to amaze many that this business is allowed to carry on trading in the name of an "Office".

Though the unwary may be forgiven for thinking they're dealing with an official semi-governmental enterprise -- because that's what the title inevitably leads them to believe -- the London Mint Office is NOT an 'office' and has nothing whatever to do with London's Royal Mint.

It is, instead, a private limited company. If you wish to know more about it, then its Annual Report & Financial Statements to year ending December 31st 2016 are publicly available on this link:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03470348/filing-history

You may find the content of that filing of interest.

Hope this helps.
  • Made an order, e mail back saying card order confirmed. Later e mails saying card declined re order.
    Did not, checked out company and found this posting. Contacted visa, they cant block your card only reissue a new one. However In my case my bank RBS can put a block on any company that may have your details and stop payments. You get a reference number, so any payments that may get through are refunded if you spot them on your invoice. This can be done for any company even if its a standing order type payment. Hope this save you the hassle of getting a new card and load of stress changing details with legitimate companies.
    Tel
  • Made an order, e mail back saying card order confirmed. Later e mails saying card declined re order.
    Did not, checked out company and found this posting. Contacted visa, they cant block your card only reissue a new one. However In my case my bank RBS can put a block on any company that may have your details and stop payments. You get a reference number, so any payments that may get through are refunded if you spot them on your invoice. This can be done for any company even if its a standing order type payment. Hope this save you the hassle of getting a new card and load of stress changing details with legitimate companies.
    Tel
  • In 2012 I bought a series of 12 Commemorative 9ct gold half crown coins. They all came with their own certificate stating that each coin was minted to the highest quality in 9ct Gold.
    I just sent them off to a gold processing company in Hatton Garden to sell them as scrap gold. The coins were tested twice to be sure but it turns out that they are not gold at all.

Please help me, how do I get my money back from the London Mint, who do I report this fraudulent activity to (Address please) and any other advice to help me take this company on. The 12 coins cost £95 each! They come as said with a certificate, which obviously are stating gold when the coins are base metal!
    Thanks for helping
    Badger
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Badger3000 wrote: »
    In 2012 I bought a series of 12 Commemorative 9ct gold half crown coins. They all came with their own certificate stating that each coin was minted to the highest quality in 9ct Gold.
    I just sent them off to a gold processing company in Hatton Garden to sell them as scrap gold. The coins were tested twice to be sure but it turns out that they are not gold at all.

Please help me, how do I get my money back from the London Mint, who do I report this fraudulent activity to (Address please) and any other advice to help me take this company on. The 12 coins cost £95 each! They come as said with a certificate, which obviously are stating gold when the coins are base metal!
    Thanks for helping
    Badger

Out of interest is it something like this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9ct-Gold-Half-Crown-Collectible-Coin-2012-Acession-of-Queen-Elizabeth-II-1952-/222805241431

That has a certificate showing 9ct solid gold so if the gold processing company are willing to confirm it is not as stated then in the first instance raise this matter with the London Mint and if that doesn't work get advice from Trading Standards about reclaiming your original money.

However, check what the Hatton garden people are actually prepared to confirm, make sure they are just not saying it isn't worth a great deal or something- they need to confirm that this is NOT solid 9ct gold.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin wrote: »

I hope that they are not the coins that Badger3000 is writing about.
    Those ones are 1g each and as they are 9ct gold, the scrap value of them will be about £12 maximum. If Badger paid £95 each, that must make them one of the worst investments in recent times.

Badger, what is the exact specification of the 12 coins you have? (size and weight) and are you sure that the COA states solid gold and not gold plated?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback