Commercial software for partnership self assessment SA800

Hi all! I'm filling the tax return form my small partnership for the first time online and realised that you have to do it through a commercial software. :eek:
There's a link to a long list of possible choices on the HMRC website and I was wondering which one might be best. Unfortunately as a new user I can't post here the link as it's not allowed.
But in any case, if you could let me know what you are using and how you are finding it.
I would prefere something cheap or free and standalone (no need to use Excel or such) as it's a very small business.
Could you please kindly advise me?
Thank you all:j

Comments

• Andica is quite good and cheap.
  • How big is your business? if its small get your accountants to do it.
  • missimaxo
    missimaxo Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another vote for andica.... I used it every year for our partnership. Cheap and easy to use.
  • I've used Andica for the last few years. No complaints even when I downloaded it and registered it one year and my hard drive promptly died, they allowed me to move the licence to another computer.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use tax filer, very simple & straight forward.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • NonGeographicalMan
    NonGeographicalMan Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 August 2018 at 10:16PM
    I started off using Taxcalc then they annoyed me with a major price increase so I submitted the paper forms one year just to make a point to HMRC about how annoyed I am that they try and keep their former tax inspector chums at all these third party software companies in business by refusing to make less widely used forms like SA107 or IHT400 available themselves even though the Government Gateway supports submission of this data by the Third Party Software.

But as a natural last minute tax filer that was too much of a hassle so I then used https://www.andica.co.uk, who charged £12.95+ VAT last year but this year it increased to £14.95 + VAT I knew that SA2000 was only £12.99 Inc VAT (or possibly not VATTed as it seems to be a mom and pop operation as also is Andica but with more sophisticated software) but it requires you to own a copy of Excel. I don't own one and use OpenOffice instead and they refuse to work with that.

So this forced me to go through the entire HMRC third party software list again (as I fundamentally object on principle that we have to pay anything at all to file our tax return because of HMRC's totally outrageous behaviour in randomly not supporting certain tax forms including the one used by 50,000 or so ministers of religion) and whereupon I came up with a new cheapest offering for 2018 (which does support the SA107 trust income form) at only £9.99 (either Inc VAT or no VAT) from https://www.selftax.co.uk

This is a quite sophisticated entirely online web based submission service that in particular knocks the spots off the Dickensian SA2000 Excel spreadsheet.

I also find it highly annoying that HMRC's third party software list doesn't differentiate between high end business products and those aimed at personal tax by one individual and also doesn't allow you to choose the type of return you need to make and the number of taxpayers you need to make submissions on behalf of (as obviously the tax adviser oriented pieces of software are far more expensive for that reason) and also then let you sort that type by price.

Anyway selftax.co.uk definitely has my business for the 2017-2018 tax year.

Various others like Andica and Taxcalc seem to think that once you have got used to their system they then have you over a barrel and you won't shop around when they hit you with inflation busting price rises. SA2000 know their product is horrible and so instead just relied on being the cheapest and not ever increasing the price but now https://www.selftax.co.uk have substantially undercut them and blown their model out of the water.:money:

And just to clarify Selftax also support the SA800 Partnership return (even though I believe HMRC now has its own form for Partnerships) and also only charges £9.99 Inc or without any VAT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure