Where do I stand .

Options
Help! I have my boys every weekend one long.one friday to sunday the other is either a Firday or Sat night during the holidays i will have them from a sunday to sunday alternate weeks. Since my marriage breakdown 3 yrs ago my boys have spent every Christmas with me. I have continuously paid my ex a monthly amount. I am just trying to establish whether during the holiday periods I should be reducing her maintenance. She has the house, brand new car and holidays I am on the bones of my bum can someone advise

Comments

• NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    Options
    If you have them more than 52 nights a year you can claim a discount. How many kids do you have and how much are you currently paying? Also what is the relevance of her having a car? Don't you have a car? How are the children transported?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • MarRan
    Options
    The relevance being she kept the family car when i left it was fully working and finance free used it as a deposit to get a brand new one on finance no i do not have a car ..... I have 2 children i pay 314 a month
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When your marriage broke down did the two of you sort out a proper financial settlement, which accounted for all wages, assets and pensions? How did you arrive at the child maintenance figure you pay now?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MarRan
    Options
    Hi no we didnt this figure was simply agreed at the time I moved out I still own half the property our pensions assets etc were not discussed and still remain in limbo ......
  • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    Options
    Does your ex use the car for the kids though? to take them to school/activities/your house etc?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as CM is concerned work out how much you would be paying via CMS. If it is vastly different to what you are paying now then renegotiate your private arrangement or apply to CMS.

If you want to sort the rest of your finances out you will need to divorce then apply for a financial order.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Just use the calculator and see if there is any difference or not

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income