CSA Arrears Query

I wonder if anyone on here can enlighten me please?
When my kids became teens several years ago, my bitter ex decided to call the CSA and tell them I had not paid a penny, despite the fact that she'd had regular cash off me up until this point. Long and short is that I ended up having to pay back over £23K (of which she received a lump sum) Time has passed and my kids are now adults so payments to their mother ceased a while back, although I am still paying the remaining debt owed to the CSA. Today I had a call from them saying they were considering wiping the remaining debt but only after they had spoken to my ex to ask if she wanted them to do so....?! Why on earth would she have any part of this decision making when she is no longer owed anything? She will obviously tell them to continue as she is very vindictive. Advice please....?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Brummiejax wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone on here can enlighten me please?
    When my kids became teens several years ago, my bitter ex decided to call the CSA and tell them I had not paid a penny, despite the fact that she'd had regular cash off me up until this point. Long and short is that I ended up having to pay back over £23K (of which she received a lump sum) Time has passed and my kids are now adults so payments to their mother ceased a while back, although I am still paying the remaining debt owed to the CSA. Today I had a call from them saying they were considering wiping the remaining debt but only after they had spoken to my ex to ask if she wanted them to do so....?! Why on earth would she have any part of this decision making when she is no longer owed anything? She will obviously tell them to continue as she is very vindictive. Advice please....?

The reality of it is that back pay is only due after a case is opened, so although you may have give her cash in hand, it should have been paid via the csa, that protects yourself and is not a punishment.
    A call saying they are considering sounds dodgy, get everything in writing.
    When the case closes they run a check to see everything is up to date, if so they will re-imburse the NRP if there is an over payment, or state your arrears on your annual schedule so you would already be aware of those.
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not necessarily, in our case it took the CSA a while to sort out the case - they only got involved as the PWC went on income support, and the same thing happened to my husband - she said he hadn't paid anything, when not only was he paying her cash each month he also paid the mortgage, house insurance, tv license an a joint loan to name a few things. He ended up with a bill for £16k, she eventually admitted in writing that the regular cash amount coming out of his account was being paid to her (hubby's job was such that his circumstances could be checked at any time so he asked her to write a letter "to whom it may concern" explaining where the money had been going in the past 12 months) we passed that on to CSA who did write off some of it, but he still ended up with a lot of arrears for money he had already paid. We went to our MP over it all but never got any joy, he just had to grin and bear it and pay what they asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure