Gadget Crazy Abigail doesn't need a new iphone!

Comments

• abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Tonight I went to a friends house for dinner. DS had freezer mac and cheese, OH had microwave pizza and I had food at friends.

I forgot to eat lunch so tomorrow will have my freezer baked potato and beans. I vow not to buy a bacon sandwich at work tomorrow (£2.80:mad:)

I have a box of cereal at work to go through and milk is provided by work. Need to make sure I have some bananas so I'm not tempted by the tuck shop.

Weekly Very: £0/£7.6

Weekly grocery spend £29/£30

Weekly ebay listing 0/10

Saving for Car Repairs: £140.01/£250

No changes to the above but did use £300 of MBing profits to pay a chunk on my First Direct credit card. Think thats at £383? Made me happy. Not paying anymore off it until Very clear, I just felt a bit blergh.

The plaster in our kitchen is still drying (fitter's put a dehumidifier in there) but the kitchen was delivered today which was very exciting. Also chose the colour paint. AND the fitter confirmed he had spoken to landlord and convinced him not to put the old lights back in (big long halogen bulbs) so that has made me super happy.
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • abby1234519
    Weekly Very: £0/£7.6

Weekly grocery spend £30/£30

Weekly ebay listing 4/10

Saving for Car Repairs: £150.89/£250

Dinner tonight will be a fakeaway indian bought from Aldi £3.50 for the both of us and DS will be having beans on toast.

Sold another book on amazon which I've added to the Car Repairs fund. Have more stuff to put on ebay tonight.

Have ebay fees to pay of £10 - usually I make a one off payment so it comes out of the paypal allowance before I take my earnings but didn't do that this time so technically I need to pay it out of my money. Plus postage for something. So probably need to deduct £15 off car repairs.
    Money money money.

Debt

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 October 2016 at 12:58PM
    Looks like you're making a good impact on that Very account. I take it once it's paid off you'll be closing it to remove the temptation to spend altogether? Once you're debt free and back in the position of feeling you can trust yourself with it you can always apply to re-open it, after all.

We're going to be in th position of being without a kitchen for a while later in the year too as ours is being done. It's a "strip it all out and start again" job too so I'm not looking forward to it much! :rotfl:

Oh - and Pssst - not sure how old your DS is, but you know he doesn't need £100 of christmas present, don't you. He'll be just as happy with something costing far less, and you'll be happier because you know you've done the right thing for safeguarding his future, too. Also, there is absolutely NO shame in admitting that dealing with little people 24/7 isn't your thing - in fact I'd say that most people feel broadly the same, so well done you for being open about it!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • abby1234519
    Looks like you're making a good impact on that Very account. I take it once it's paid off you'll be closing it to remove the temptation to spend altogether? Once you're debt free and back in the position of feeling you can trust yourself with it you can always apply to re-open it, after all.

We're going to be in th position of being without a kitchen for a while later in the year too as ours is being done. It's a "strip it all out and start again" job too so I'm not looking forward to it much! :rotfl:

Oh - and Pssst - not sure how old your DS is, but you know he doesn't need £100 of christmas present, don't you. He'll be just as happy with something costing far less, and you'll be happier because you know you've done the right thing for safeguarding his future, too. Also, there is absolutely NO shame in admitting that dealing with little people 24/7 isn't your thing - in fact I'd say that most people feel broadly the same, so well done you for being open about it!

I had actually emailed Very and asked them to reduce the account from £1300 to £200 (in case of clothing emergencies which we rarely have) but they emailed twice to say they were having problems with their emails and then nothing happened. I don't think I will ever be able to trust myself as iphone7gate has taught me, so I won't ever open it. I think what I will make sure is that I have a splurge savings account where if I ever feel the need to buy something unnecessary that it won't hurt my budget. Maybe add £10 a month to it.

The kitchen is coming together but last week was interesting. I've managed fine with the microwave and toaster - which has taught me a lot! Obviously this is only because I've prepared in advance, we've still got freezer mac and cheese left. I've been staring at my new larder unit in the kitchen - previously it was just a tall cupboard, the back had fallen off and you just have to stack things - the shelves were really far apart. Now I've got a slimmer unit but its pull out so I hope it will stop things from getting forgotten at the back of it. Can't wait to plonk all the food in it.

With regards to the present thing - I don't think £100 is actually that much. I'll explain....it's obviously a lot of money but when your child is obsessed with Lego Ninjago and that is all he wants - it doesn't get you much. Mum's giving him a huge box of handmedown lego for christmas (she gave him a handmedown expensive trainset last year) so I just need to buy a lego Ninjago castle, a Ninjago desert bike thing and then some characters. But it comes to so much money!! Even on ebay. I hadn't planned on buying lots of presents but in the past when I've tried to keep the cost down with cheaper presents it just doesn't interest him. He's not the sort of child who wants lots of presents but he definitely seems to be the sort who wants worthwhile ones. I got him the below for his Birthday which I bought for £40 in the January sales. Ok so £40 on a present is a lot but that was all he got. It's been worth it as he loves playing with it every day rather than watching tv

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Secret-Sewer-Lair-/111688588517?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Just got to weigh up the lego situation.

!
    Money money money.

Debt

• abby1234519
    End of week tally

Weekly Very: £7.6 /£7.6

Weekly grocery spend £39/£30 :mad:

Weekly ebay listing 8/10 :cool:

Saving for Car Repairs: £150.89/£250 Can't update as have ebay fees to pay and postage out of whatever is in my paypal account.

Dinner tonight is two burgers that I will fry on the table hob once DS is in bed and I've bought a lettuce for salad (not very inventive though it is just lettuce and nothing else!). DS will have beans on toast again. (4 days to go till we can use kitchen)

A friend has given me a soupmaker (which I think is potentially a waste of an appliance) so tonight I'm chopping up the butternut squash thats been languishing in a bag, with some carrots and red thai paste. Need to find a stock cube as well in the mess that is our food storage (ie asda crates in the study). If it works then thats me sorted for the week for lunch! Need to also get the mac and cheese out of the freezer for tomorrow nights tea. Got tuesdays planned as OH and I can have another ready meal. DS must be getting bored of toast related meals! Perhaps I'll cook some spaghetti tonight so he can have that and freezer bolognese this week.

Goal for this week is not to go anywhere near Aldi as its the Devil's House.
    Money money money.

Debt

• abby1234519
    Friday update

Very – paid off in full. To close or not to close?

Grocery budget I have stuck to – as of today we’re switching to daily spending for the next 17 days just because we have no need to do a big shop just need to pick up a few bits. Our kitchen is very nearly complete, its being painted on Saturday and then the freezer put in place.
    I’ve made £900 this month on MBing, I’ve put some away for my bankroll and taken £400 from it to fund my kitchen purchases. I don’t intend to spend £400, but I need to get a bookcase for the corner for all my cookery books. I am undecided as to whether to get a second hand one or a new one, if its new I want it to be a solid one (not ikea) but if its new then it’s not going to be cheap! I am trying to find a second hand one, have been checking ebay, gumtree etc. As well as this, we need an oven liner, another oven shelf (it has just the one), a grill pan, a sandwich toaster (getting rid of the cumbersome George Foreman), glass jars for the herbs, and I need to get someone in to fit a blind. So yes, £400 is a lot but I think it covers quite a lot. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING? Won’t be put on a credit card.

Saving for Car Repairs: £150

Dinner tonight is a freezer ready meal. I refuse to use the oven until I’ve lined the bottom and the door. OH is very grumbly about it

Son is away at grandmas for weekend, I will be unpacking the rest of the kitchen, shopping for kitchen things and then spending as long as possible making more MB profit
    Money money money.

Debt

• EssexHebridean
    Friday update

Very – paid off in full. To close or not to close?

Grocery budget I have stuck to – as of today we’re switching to daily spending for the next 17 days just because we have no need to do a big shop just need to pick up a few bits. Our kitchen is very nearly complete, its being painted on Saturday and then the freezer put in place.
    I’ve made £900 this month on MBing, I’ve put some away for my bankroll and taken £400 from it to fund my kitchen purchases. I don’t intend to spend £400, but I need to get a bookcase for the corner for all my cookery books. I am undecided as to whether to get a second hand one or a new one, if its new I want it to be a solid one (not ikea) but if its new then it’s not going to be cheap! I am trying to find a second hand one, have been checking ebay, gumtree etc. As well as this, we need an oven liner, another oven shelf (it has just the one), a grill pan, a sandwich toaster (getting rid of the cumbersome George Foreman), glass jars for the herbs, and I need to get someone in to fit a blind. So yes, £400 is a lot but I think it covers quite a lot. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING? Won’t be put on a credit card.

Saving for Car Repairs: £150

Dinner tonight is a freezer ready meal. I refuse to use the oven until I’ve lined the bottom and the door. OH is very grumbly about it

Son is away at grandmas for weekend, I will be unpacking the rest of the kitchen, shopping for kitchen things and then spending as long as possible making more MB profit

Close!!! Go on - do it!!! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • abby1234519
    Email sent to Very! I accidentally overpayed by £7.60 but their system told me a final amount that was wrong.

My next one to tackle is First Direct which is at £323.62. It was at over £700 just a month ago but I used my MB winnings to pay it down. That won't happen this month as I need to use winnings to build a bank roll. I'm at about £900 but still need to get to about 2k. Once I hit 2k I can use all the ongoing winnings to pay off debt.
    Money money money.

Debt

• EssexHebridean
    Well done for closing that Very account...temptation, as you say, removed! :T
    she/her
  • abby1234519
    Well done for closing that Very account...temptation, as you say, removed! :T

Very are horrendous at the moment for emailing back. I've only just had an email to confirm they've received my request!!

Tuesday update

Kitchen still not painted - painter coming this evening. So cooking dinner's going to be awkward if he's starting at 5.30pm.

Went shopping at the weekend, spent over what I intended to spend but not by too much. Mainly because husband wanted the smaller brabantia bin and I wanted the bigger one (£30 more). My reasoning was that our pans were a lot bigger than the opening and we'd end up getting food all over it and ruin the opening mechanism. I do believe in spending money for quality on some occasions and I have been saving to buy it - we did have a swing top bin and the kitchen ended up stinking. We also bought a coffee machine (Tassimo) which I am loving. Obviously the ongoing cost of the pods can be high but I've made a concession which is giving up my cans of diet coke. I also bought a Tefal Soup Maker from lakeland, been wanting that specific model for months but it was £70 - Lakeland had it for £35. Then there were some other bits that we needed, an Oxo Good Grips Pizza Wheel and Garlic Crusher - the last two pizza wheels from supermarket have fallen apart so have invested in a good one. Also bought an Absorb Bin that traps fat, don't want to put fat down the sink.

I got my oven liner and door protector. we need an oven liner, another oven shelf (it has just the one), a grill pan, a sandwich toaster (getting rid of the cumbersome George Foreman), glass jars for the herbs, and I need to get someone in to fit a blind. So yes, £400 is a lot but I think it covers quite a lot. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING? Won’t be put on a credit card.

These are all things I probably didn't need but I had planned in advance and the only think I overspent on was the bin. I've asked OH not to buy me any Christmas presents so he's made a contribution towards the soup maker.

But now I've bought everything I want to for the kitchen, its back to being frugal! Oh wait no I haven't I still haven't got a bookcase. I am still searching for one, ebay is proving fruitless and new is just tooooo much. It's not urgent though

MBing slowing down as I learn how to transition from new accounts to reloads and other ways. Need to start documenting daily earnings so I can keep track of it. Over the next few months my target is £300 a month. £200 to go to debt £100 to go into savings

Food wise - we're having to throw food out as we don't have the space for it. It's not a baaaaad thing because I have a lot of things I just don't need. But it's just choosing what to keep and what to get rid of.

No extra payments being made to credit card at the moment - need to build up MBing bankroll
    Money money money.

Debt

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business