We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• jim-jim
    jim-jim Posts: 127 Forumite
    Morning everyone, oh Ali-t, I'm so sorry you've lost another one.

Moulting still going on here to, they don't have dust baths, they have feather lined baths :rotfl::rotfl:

I went to collect the eggs yesterday 5 from 6 chucks. And I pulled one up from the straw, still a bit damp. Came out from the shed in a shed for a bit more day light. Oh my word, the 'wet ' egg had blood on it and it was huge :eek:
    So for the first time ever I have weighed the eggs, normal eggs average 55g. This monster was 98g :eek: poor chuck ouch.

What is the biggest egg you have had?
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    jim-jim wrote: »
    Morning everyone, I went to collect the eggs yesterday 5 from 6 chucks. And I pulled one up from the straw, still a bit damp. Came out from the shed in a shed for a bit more day light. Oh my word, the 'wet ' egg had blood on it and it was huge :eek: So for the first time ever I have weighed the eggs, normal eggs average 55g. This monster was 98g :eek: poor chuck ouch. What is the biggest egg you have had?

Oh poor little hen with obviously a sore bottom, bless her. xx

I have never actually weighed any of our eggs. I know some on here have so hopefully you will be able to compare egg weights with them. At the moment with ours they are quite small but we do get the odd large one so I will weigh it then.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • orangecrush
    orangecrush Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 October 2017 at 12:34PM
    Ali so sorry to hear you lost another. It's so upsetting. Hens seem so fragile :(

Jim-Jim that is enormous! Hope the hen is ok!

It's starting to get chilly here and I am worried about my poor moulting chunky chicken! She just seems a bit glum, doesn't want her mealworms though will still eat a few berries. I can't tell if she's eating very much of her pellets, either. I have ordered some ACV to see if it helps, and am adding oreganico (or whatever its called) in the meantime.

Our two new hens have SO much character, but Chunk has taken a dislike to one of them, and keeps trying to peck her eyes! Rusty (the poor pecked hen) has a lump in front of her eye (where a human tear duct would be, but not sure of chicken anatomy!) and I'm not sure whether to leave it and see what happens, or take her to the vet, which is a good half hour drive.

Weirdly, the smallest newbie (who is REALLY small, still cheeps!) goes under the radar, but Rusty is getting a bit of a beating :( We've put some mesh down the middle of the run to keep her and Chunky apart, and have ordered a bumpa bit for Chunky to try and stop the pecking. We try to let them out into the garden as much as we can, but the weather has been grim and the neighbourhood cats could easily attack Tiny. We've put a few perches, some foraging toys, and some seed bricks in too, but not sure what else we can do in the short term.

In the longer (winter) term, we're thinking of building a much larger walk-in run at the top of our garden, and adding two more hens. Maybe Rhode Island Reds? I've heard they're very robust. Or Plymouth Rocks. Do you guys have any particular breeds? I think I would struggle with the heartache from getting more commercials, as lovely as they are.

Happy Humpday everyone :)
  • edwink
    edited 4 October 2017 at 10:49PM
    Hi Orangecrush

I think you are doing all you can by trying to keep those hens apart. Not sure what to suggest regarding the hens eye but for now I would just make sure it is kept clean all the time to ward off infection. Just keep a very close eye on it and make sure she is eating and drinking ok. When our last batch of rescue hens were brought to our house one of them had a marble sized lump to the side of her head right by her eye. It looked awful but she was still eating and drinking ok and mixing in with the others so I wasn't overly concerned. The bump slowly went down but I still kept checking to make sure it was clean especially as it was right near to her eye. My guess was that she banged it on the journey to ours, bless her.

ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) is thought to be a mild Antibiotic so definitely worth a try. We always add that to our hens water during the winter months when their little bodies struggle more due to the much colder weather.

With regards to hens one of my favourites and one breed that has lasted the longest with us is the Bluebell hen. They are the fluffiest too with beautiful bluey grey feathers with lots of little fluffy feathers around their bottoms. When she moults it really doesn't notice that much because she is so fluffy. The one I have here is 6 years old now and has outlasted the other 7 we purchased at the same time (not Bluebells but other breeds). So personally I would definitely get another of those again when/if we decide to purchase instead of having rescued hens. Hope that is some help to you.

Please let us all know how your little hens is getting on.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Hi Edwink!

Thanks so much for your reply. I am looking forward to the the parcel arriving so I can put the bumpa bit on and remove the de-militarised zone!!

Bluebells look so lovely!! Beautiful colouring! I love the fluffy bottom feathers :rotfl: Chunky is a buff orpington, so has fluffy kickerbockers :rotfl:

I love how much variety there is! Our two newbies are Sheltand hens - I hadn't even heard of them until I googled hens for sale near us. They have lovely tappits, but we need to give Tiny's a trim as she looks a bit like a polish right now and we're not convinced she can see very well through all the fluff!!
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Got ourselves a poorly hen here.

She wont stand up, her wing is hanging low on one side.... been 2 days now. no other signs of distress, shes eating and drinking fine.
    I dont think she's broody but I think she must have injured herself, shes keeping her toes curled all the time, she wont splay them. I'm at a bit of a loss as none of the toes or leg seem damaged - and you can move them and she doesn't fuss or act out as if there's pain....
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Poor wee hen. Can you bring her inside for some tlc? Hope she is on the mend soon.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Got ourselves a poorly hen here.
    She wont stand up, her wing is hanging low on one side.... been 2 days now. no other signs of distress, shes eating and drinking fine. I dont think she's broody but I think she must have injured herself, shes keeping her toes curled all the time, she wont splay them. I'm at a bit of a loss as none of the toes or leg seem damaged - and you can move them and she doesn't fuss or act out as if there's pain....

The only thing you can really do as Ali-t has suggested already is to bring her indoors with you for some tlc. If the others notice that she is possibly injured they could start to pick on her. All you can really do is to make sure she continues to eat and drink and keep her as comfortable as you can.

I would have thought if she was injured you would have got some resistance from her or a tiny little yelp or something. But, as this did not happen when you checked her it does look a little unlikely that she is injured in anyway.

Have you checked her vent to see if all is good there? No blood or anything or dirty/mucky? Have you felt around her tummy and vent area? Is it possible she has tried to lay an egg but hasn't been able to lay it fully? Always best to check to make sure everything is ok for her in that region.

Sorry I have only just seen your post and replied to you but had family visiting today and didn't get a chance until now to switch my laptop on.

Please let us know how she is tomorrow if you get the chance.

Edwink
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edwink wrote: »
    The only thing you can really do as Ali-t has suggested already is to bring her indoors with you for some tlc. If the others notice that she is possibly injured they could start to pick on her. All you can really do is to make sure she continues to eat and drink and keep her as comfortable as you can.

I would have thought if she was injured you would have got some resistance from her or a tiny little yelp or something. But, as this did not happen when you checked her it does look a little unlikely that she is injured in anyway.

Have you checked her vent to see if all is good there? No blood or anything or dirty/mucky? Have you felt around her tummy and vent area? Is it possible she has tried to lay an egg but hasn't been able to lay it fully? Always best to check to make sure everything is ok for her in that region.

Sorry I have only just seen your post and replied to you but had family visiting today and didn't get a chance until now to switch my laptop on.

Please let us know how she is tomorrow if you get the chance.

Edwink

I think she must have been egg bound!
    I feel rather dreadful for not having picked up on it sooner. She seemed fine in herself, was eating and drinking, just wouldnt support her own weight and kept her toes curled. Her comb and wattle were still a nice blushed pink....

I popped out to top up her water in the nest box with her and she wasnt there. She was out in the run under their bench but still squat.

There was a decent size egg just on the entrance to the coop and I think it must have been her (their eggs all look the same). I threw them in some spring greens and that got her hobbling out. She was still a bit slow but now i'm thinking perhaps that's just from weakness as shes moving about ok now.

Her back end seems a little mucky (not badly) today, but id put that down to her having been sat in the same spot for days so effectively just sitting 'in it'.

I'm going to bring her in for a bath shortly so clean her up, and hopefully she'll continue to improve.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • edwink
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    I think she must have been egg bound!
    I feel rather dreadful for not having picked up on it sooner. She seemed fine in herself, was eating and drinking, just wouldnt support her own weight and kept her toes curled. Her comb and wattle were still a nice blushed pink....

Her back end seems a little mucky (not badly) today, but id put that down to her having been sat in the same spot for days so effectively just sitting 'in it'. I'm going to bring her in for a bath shortly so clean her up, and hopefully she'll continue to improve.

Hi CAFCGirl

So glad she is improving that's great.

Please don't be hard on yourself regarding not knowing what was happening with her. Remember all of us, yes all of us have had to learn about what is happening with our hens mostly by experience. We can read as much as we like about hens and their ailments/health before we bring some home and not take in all we have read. We are really not supposed to know it all, honestly we are not. I had to start somewhere too! When my very first rescue hen died after being with us for only 6 months I remember ringing up the rehoming lady in tears saying I could have done more and why has she gone to hen heaven so quickly. It was this lady that reassured me and said even she had to learn by experience too and that these rescue hens often die prematurely and that I had done nothing wrong whatsoever.

Best thing you can do for her now as a responsible hen keeper like you are is to keep a very close eye on her to make sure she is still improving. When you bring her in for a bottom/feather wash today have a good feel around her vent area and underneath to get a idea what she feels like. This will give you confidence if the same happens to her again because you will be able to pick her up and see if she feels differently to how you remember she felt underneath whilst cleaning her up. Hope that makes sense.

You are right in the fact as she was sitting around her bottom will get mucky as she is sitting in it and the best you can do for her is to clean her up as it would be too much for her to clean once she gets over this.

As I said we have all had to learn mostly by experience and this is the reason I started this thread several years ago. I was still learning by experience myself then and I wanted to be able to help others along, learn more myself and also share hen/duck stories to make it fun too. So please don't beat yourself up about it. Chin up your ickle feathered friends wouldn't want to see their mum sad would they?

Take care

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback