PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Building block ideas again:
    In the summer, I get a pork fillet, cover it in a paste made from garlic, paprika, salt, herbs & a bit of oil, marinade for a day, then cut into medallions and freeze. They defrost quickly,so are perfect for BBQs.
    This evening, I've taken the last out of the freezer and will just grill them. I'll do plenty of roast veges and save half of those back. Tomorrow will be cous-cous, re-heated roast veges and cubes of feta stirred into it.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I didn't have tofu scramble as I went out to get bread and so just had a can of soup and the fresh bread instead for lunch.:)
    caronc wrote: »
    It's the caffeine, it affects the pressure in your ears and also certain receptors in your brain which can trigger vertigo, it was the first thing I had to drop when I developed meniere's disease.

I don't get it with coke or strong tea, though. It's strange. I think there is something else in coffee that I am sensitive too. I can't even have decaf coffee without feeling ill afterwards.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    caronc wrote: »
    Oh how I miss proper strong coffee in the morning, even decent decaff beans aren't the same, but it sends my Meniere's haywire so it's no-no.

I'm another with coffee problems. "real" stuff gives me stomach ache & makes me dizzy. I'm OK with instant but have to limit that to just a couple a day or tum troubles.

PN They are very tasty ... mmmm (L1dl, Chef Select, 6 for £1.05).
    Thanks for tip, I'm in there tomorrow and could just get some, as I try and avoid the Stollen aisle a sausage roll hunt could be a useful distraction

Dentist first thing, I now need a filling refurbished. :(

Into Morries on way home, another pork pie slipped into the trolley, as did a 50p pack of doughnuts :o

I was really looking for easy meals for one, got liver & bacon, love that and really CBA mucking around buying ingredients & prepping it

Also picked up a YS Hunters' chicken & wedges ready meal.

Both are in the Traditional range. Now I know I'm old but since when was Hunters' chicken traditional? Did the lasses from t'mill, or tin miners, get home to a steaming plate of Hunters' chicken. I'm willing to bet even hunters didn't.

Lunch was cheese salad sarnie, and two jam doughnuts:eek:

Dinner is either a frozen ready mince hotpot or Hunter chick. Not sure yet. Both are bung in oven & the accompaniment will be steamed fresh veg, just depends how I feel in an hour or so
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Afternoon everyone

I've just been 'grazing' on food today. I had a banana and some toast for breakfast, then a crumpet mid morning followed by cheese on toast at lunchtime.

Dinner will be whatever I can drag out of my poorly freezer later before it defrosts all over the kitchen floor :(.

I was just going out this morning and went into the kitchen without shoes on and realised that my feet were getting wet. It turns out that there is water coming from the back of the fridge/freezer. An engineer has been out and declared it not worth repairing. It is a 16 years old Bosch, so doesn't owe me anything.

So I've been researching fridge/freezers all day and have narrowed it down to another Bosch, a Liebherr (I hadn't heard of them until today, but they seem to get pretty good reviews and are either made by the same manufacturers as Miele or at the same factory, there seems to be some confustion over this on the internet), or a Hotpoint as it is a very good size for the money. There was a Miele I would have bought as it was greatly reduced, but surpirse surprise it is out of stock.

If any of you have any experience of these makes or suggestions of other makes I would be grateful for your input.

I want a 50/50 split and as large a freezer as possible (no surprises there :)).

The Liebherr has a small net fridge space of 165 litres and a freezer net space of 129 litres so very large. It isn't that often that the fridge on my current one is full. Cheapest I can find this one is £429.99

The Hotpoint has a net fridge space of 204 litres and 124litres of freezer space. The cheapest I can find this is £549.

The Bosch one has a net fridge space of 214 litres and 105 litres of freezer space. The cheapest I can find this is £649. I think I'm only considering this one because of the reputation that Bosch has, or I 'think' it has. I could be wrong :).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Liebherr, absolutely wonderful fridge. Mine grew too small for me so dd had it and it is going strong. It is a make that I would buy again

I read something about flammable plastic backs on many new fridges, not all and it would be worth researching that
  • Hollyharvey
    kittie wrote: »
    Liebherr, absolutely wonderful fridge. Mine grew too small for me so dd had it and it is going strong. It is a make that I would buy again

I read something about flammable plastic backs on many new fridges, not all and it would be worth researching that
    Thanks Kitty. Liebherr seem to get good reviews, and it certainly looks good value.

Now you mention it, I remember reading something about the plastic backs as well, and how some manufacturers are using plastic instead of the more expensive aluminium. I'll check that out now.
  • is it something that was brought to light after the grenfell tower fire, i think it was started by a fridge with a flammable back panel??
  • Hollyharvey
    is it something that was brought to light after the grenfell tower fire, i think it was started by a fridge with a flammable back panel??
    Yes, you are right it was a Hotpoint that started the fire. The Which? web site lists makes/models which are fire retardant and those which are not. It's put me off Hotpoint, so that ones not in the running now.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Are you able to have a good look at the Liebherr before you buy? I'm glad that Kitty had a good experience. I found mine (I bought it 2005) rather awkward, and I passed it on. I couldn't seem to make good use of the space. I broke a couple of things on it, and the replacements were expensive.
    However, a lot may have changed in 12 years!
    My 5 year old LG has had no problems and I haven't broken anything in it either!
  • Hollyharvey
    jackyann wrote: »
    Are you able to have a good look at the Liebherr before you buy? I'm glad that Kitty had a good experience. I found mine (I bought it 2005) rather awkward, and I passed it on. I couldn't seem to make good use of the space. I broke a couple of things on it, and the replacements were expensive.
    However, a lot may have changed in 12 years!
    My 5 year old LG has had no problems and I haven't broken anything in it either!
    I think I'm going to have to go and have a look at some. I am starting to get myself really confused now. We don't have many electrical shops in the town where I live so may have to go a bit further. I'll ask my neighbours if any of them have got any spare space in their freezers in case it gives up working at all, but it is probably better to lose the cost of the food in the freezer rather than make an expensive mistake by buying a fridge/freezer that doesn't suit my needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure