Parents supported me, but looking to upsize!

Hey guys,

I really need some advice, as i'm new to mortgages!

I've very fortunate to have parents who have been able to help me get onto the property ladder a few years ago. As they get much better interest rates (1%), they kindly offered that for around 5 years, they'd lend me the money to purchase the apartment and I only pay them back the interest on their mortgage repayments (£140 p/m). The theory behind this, is that i'd be able to save as much as I possibly can to put towards a deposit.

In Jan 2016 I purchased the one bedroom apartment for £140k. Since then it's increased to £170k and i'm looking at selling and moving into something a little bigger with more bedrooms.
My plan was to use the £170k as a deposit on my next property, and then in Jan 2021 when my parents need their money back, i'd remortgage.

Here's where I need your help;

If I see a property for £285k, then I won't have an issue getting a £115k mortgage on my own.
However, come Jan 2021 (this isn't a requirement, and they'd be happy to extend if needed) when my parents want their money back, i'm going to need to remortgage with my girlfriend. Together we'll have saved up roughly £70k savings and according to Halifax (based on our existing salaries but likely to increase between now then) we could borrow up to £308k.

Am I working things our slightly wrong, or am I worrying about nothing? I just want to make sure that i'm able to pay my parents their £140k back & don't end up in a pickle.

Thanks
Matt

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Most lenders won't be happy with your deposit being a loan from your parents.

Not clear how your current place is owned - you say you own it, but also refer to your parents' mortgage payments?
  • Okydoky25
    Okydoky25 Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Where are you getting £170k as a deposit?

If you purchased at £140k and it is now worth £170k you equity for a deposit is only the difference which is £30k plus what ever you have paid off your mortgage however it sounds like it is on an interest not repayment mortgage?

Unless you mean your parents will still let you have the £140k plus the £30k equity?
  • Thanks for your help guys.

I own the apartment. My name's on the deeds, however my dad paid for it. I just give him the minimum repayment required.

Yes - that's right Okydoky25, they'll still let me keep the £140k + £30k equity until Jan 2021. At which time, i'll need to pay them £140k back, and mortgage the entire property myself.

Thanks
    Matt
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Is your parent's mortgage secured over the flat? If so, that loan will have to be repaid when the flat is sold, leaving only the remaining equity as a deposit for the next house.
  • It's not secured against the flat :)
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's not secured against the flat :)

Maybe stop being so cryptic Matt.

Reading between the lines - did your parents borrow against their own property to buy your flat for you and you pay their mortgage (interest only?).

If you sell the flat do you have repay the loan to your parents and they are happy for you to keep the appreciated equity in the flat?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    You say that you will not have a problem buying the property, but you may well struggle given how much of your deposit is borrowed.

You will also be significantly extending yourself. A lost job, a period of illness, or splitting up and you may well be unable to pay your parents back.

Would it. It make sense for you at this point to work out how to get a house that you can afford without your parents money?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Your parents did what we presumably did which was borrow against their mortgage free property to buy a flat for our daughter to live in as it was cheaper to buy rather than rent. In our case though we bought in our name rather than hers but we gave her the profit when we sold and she benefitted from much lower rent.

I don't think it will matter that your parents loaned you the money to buy the flat as it was bought in your name. All a bank or building society will see is that it is mortgage free. They are not going to go into the ins and outs of how you bought it in the first place unless your parents have a registered interest in it or a charge on it.

If you buy the new property at £285k then as you say you will need the £115k mortgage. Is your girlfriend going to be buying the new property with you?

If you intend saving £70k over the next 3 years then you will need to remortgage to give them £70k back and the only thing I am not sure of is whether gifting money to your parents is going to be something that will be agreed as a reason for remortgage. Another option is that you get a mortgage for £185k and give your parents £70k back when your flat is sold and then pay them the remaining £70k over the next 3 years. That seems quite a high amount to save though and it leaves you vulnerable should you get ill or lose your job. Would your parents be happy to wait or are they depending on getting the money back definitely in 2021?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Parents need to be declaring the money you pay them as interest.

1% on £140k is £117pm

You could just start paying them back now and build up your own equity that way.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Parents need to be declaring the money you pay them as interest.

1% on £140k is £117pm

You could just start paying them back now and build up your own equity that way.

He is repaying a loan or technically a gift as there is no loan agreement so who would he declare that to? His parents are not receiving interest as such.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure